“South Beach in Maine! This place is South Beach prices and decorations. Place is nice, but if your looking for a Maine exper”

The Tides Beach Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Miami prices and decor that lacks the Maine charm. If you've got it to spend this is the place for you. They can help you out!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Minoot
TidesBeachClub, Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear Minoot,
Thank you for taking a moment to write about your visit to the Tides. We take pride in the renovations that took place this winter. Our goal was to bring a casual beach decor with an emphasis on luxury and comfort. We feel we have hit the mark fairly well. I'm sorry to see that you didn't feel it was a value to you, but I can safely say we are very comparable in pricing to many venues in the Kennebunkport region. I do hope you will give a another try.

There are newer reviews for The Tides Beach Club

Reviewed July 21, 2011

From the moment we drove up to the inn and saw it's perfect location (literally across a narrow street from a beautiful beach and next to an endless number of other great beach houses), we were so excited to go in! The "lobby" or ground floor of the majestic house is absolutely stunning - it's exactly how I would like my future beach house to look... Apparently the furniture is all from Jonathan Adler (if you know this designer you will immediately know what the chick but casual feel of this whole place is) and the nautical accessories bring the room to a perfect "beach chic" setting. We were greeted by Casey at the front desk who quickly offered us a glass of champagne and showed us to our room. The room was just as great as the rest of the hotel - comfortable bed, great shower, and ready for me to move in! ;)
To sum up other great things:
- Breakfast in the morning was a perfect balance between fresh fruit and delicious croissants and baked goods, freshly squeezed juices, yogurt, etc. My boyfriend was left wanting more but I definitely wasn't.
- We took some of the beach cruisers available over to the sister property, Hidden Pond, one afternoon. Do this! It was SO worth it. We relaxed in the gazebos by the pool and explored the property. There we met Natalie, the manager of both properties. She was great - we told her we were there celebrating our 2 year anniversary and as soon as we returned to The Tides about 30 min later, there was a bottle of chilled champagne and a card from Natalie wishing us a great weekend. Great attention to detail!
- The beach in front of the hotel is a great New England beach - the hotel has comfortable chairs to lounge on and the "beach boy" brings you cold waters regularly. You can also order lunch on the beach which is nice.
- One more thing not to miss - smores by the fire at Hidden Pond! After dinner in town we went to check it out - well worth it. We got a little basket with the supplies and were directed to the fire. Perfect setting, such nice people, and a delicious end to our night.
- One more thing - Joe at the front desk! So nice! So welcoming - everyone is there to help and make your stay even better!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelmagzel
TidesBeachClub, Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Dear Travelmagzel,
Thank you so much for the thoughtful and kind review. It is extremely satisfying to know that all of our hard work this season has not been in vain! We do feature the stylings and furniture of Jonathon Adler in two of our suites. The rest is a combination of other designers. We hope to see you again here in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

I am sad to write this review as I was hoping for good things from the new Tides. Wish someone had told them that this hotel/restaurant is in Maine and not South Beach. Not that I don't love South Beach - just not in Maine. Staff continually made us feel that we were wasting their time. Restaurant was overpriced with small portions and service was lacking. Just disappointed . . .

7  Thank 2cents2travel
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My wife and 2 kids (6 yrs and 10 mos) arrived for a one night/2 day stay on Saturday and could not have been more impressed with the hotel, its location, and its staff/management. We are already looking forward to returning!

First, the location. The location right on Goose Rocks Beach is truly stunning. The water, the sand, and the ease of access make it a special spot.

Second, the Property itself. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. Having just been rennovated head-to-toe, in the most comfortable and yet elegant beach style...one will be hard pressed to want to leave. In fact, my wife and mother both expressed that they were ready to move in and also decorate their homes in a similar manner. The lobby and guest rooms have exceptional appointments and style and you will rest VERY WELL.

Third, the Service. We are not the traditional target guests of this hotel...ie, guests with young kids...but it did not matter in the least, as we received the most outstanding service and thoughtful gestures from the entire staff/management. Joe was terrific and made us feel very welcome and succeeded in exceeding our expectations.

My wife has a food allergy to gluten and when I booked the room, I requested for that to be noted in the reservation, and when we arrived at check-in, Joe (at the front desk) informed us that the chef would have fresh gluten free muffins available in the morning for breakfast...a very nice touch, and extremely well appreciated by us! Delicious as well. Additionally, after talking with two of the excellent staff/management team, who suggested that the chef was skilled in gluten free cooking, we ordered a delicious gluten free dinner for my wife "to go", as we were meeting family at a nearby house for dinner...the food is excellent, very well prepared and presented, and must be experienced!

In short, if you are looking for a first class beach resort with exceptional service and easy access to all points in and around Kennebunkport...look no further than the Tides Beach Club...it is exceptional in every category...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank TravelTops

Dear TravelTops,
I'm so glad that you found our property so lovely and accommodating. We strive to give the best service possible, and it is incredibly refreshing to hear that we succeeded with you! We try to be prepared for the needs of all our guests, and am glad that you found that we exceeded your expectations! I do hope we see you in future visits!

Reviewed July 4, 2011

I was up in Maine this past weekend and stayed with my friends in Goose Rocks Beach. They made reservations for July 2nd. I was excited to see the new Tides Inn and restaurant. It was a real disappointment. The menu was very limited and only one vegetarian dish: the tofu. It was the worst tofu that I had ever tasted. I couldn't eat it. One of my friends tried it too and agreed it was the worst. The restaurant did take it off. The appetizer and entree portions were tiny and way overpriced. I live in NYC and have been to hip restaurants but this took it to the extreme and we weren't in Manhattan or South Beach. I'll pass in the future unless they revamp the menu, portion size, and send their staff to a courtesy class.

Room Tip: n/a - just ate at the restaurant
9  Thank fromnyctofll
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Wow, wow and wow again!! Loved just about everything. The best part was the service. Everyone and I mean everyone goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy and need for nothing. You can tell that some are new to the game but this does not detract from the overall experience. Thank you Joe........you are the best. The Decor is just beautiful with great attention to detail. Book the suite if you can as it has much more room and closet space. We brought motorcycles with us on this trip, parking for the car and trailer was not a problem even though the Tides is direct waterfront and parking can sometimes be an issue. Also booked at the spa.....wonderful!
My one negative, the restaurant...it is just trying a little too hard. Excellent food shines on its own without trying to change its form on every dish. Simplify and it will be perfect.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Snodgrass999
TidesBeachClub, Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2011

Dear Snodgrass999,
Thank you for your honest review. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our property and value the feedback we receive. I'm glad that you felt the service was outstanding, we have worked very hard in our first season. We have made changes over the season to our menu. I hope you will give the restaurant another try! Looking forward to your future visits!

Reviewed July 3, 2011

I am a resident of Kennebunkport and have been coming to the beach for over fifty years. On memorial day weekend my cousin and I walked into the hotel and were given a very nice tour. We were very impressed and decided to make dinner reservations for July 2nd. We requested the porch and were assured we were all set. We were seated inside and when I asked the hostess about the porch she was very snippy and said "I did not make the reservation and everyone wants to sit on the porch". Eventually we were moved to the porch. My friend had tofu and he told the waitress it was the worst tofu he had ever eaten. She thought he was kidding. My sister in law had a bite and confirmed it was bad. They did take this off the bill. I had the pork and it was very tough. When we left we sat on the porch and the waitress came out and said we were not charged for the first bottle of wine at the inside table. She took our card and did not come back for ten minutes. I was looking forward to a lovely experience at the new tides, unfortanatly this did not meet my expectations.

10  Thank AnnFromBoston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Grand Hotel
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Tides Beach Club? Share your experiences!