“loved it”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
virginia
“loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

I thought it was elegant, stately, and entertaining without being stuffy. there was alot to do with children - putting green, shuffleboard, bikes - ( no child carriers or kids sizes) with a beach right across the street - I loved our room - a historic room - suite - spacious for our family of 5 - 3 kids in one room - linked through a bathroom. to out king bed. The resturant was very good - i look forward to staying there again.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

Great place to stay. We stopped in at the last minute and got a great rate. The views can't be beat, the location is great, the breakfast is included and amazing. I didn't hear any barking dogs, as others have mentioned. Great experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

Fantastic old colonial on the ocean in quaint and historic Kennebunkport, Maine very very classy with great service and location. Very easy walks to town and entertainment no need fo buses or driving. Great views of the water of course!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

We did rent the last room available, for a party of three, they were the only hotel to accomodate us at 7:30 pm. I found KBPT is more for couples than a party of three (should have gone to Ogunquit). Anyway, we stayed in the main house, the "limited view" means a view of the parking lot, beeping, honking and talking all night. With no a/c, we had to leave our one window open. At 5 am, 6 am and 7am, a baby was crying. After the all night parking lots wars, I was tired. Conversely, the location is fabulous, across the street from a beach, beautiful views, old-world ocean-view breakfast porch. For $450/night, I want to wake up refreshed. Would love to bring the dogs here as it is very dog friendly, the kids would have enjoyed the putt, putt golf and salt-water pool if we weren't so tired. The Bingo is two tables, three stuffed moose are given away and at 8:30 it was over (they said 9:00). I found the staff to be exceptionally helpful, informational and sympathetic, but the last room is just that. Probably wouldn't stay again because of the thin walls (it could have been worse than a baby crying!). Also be sure to get the ocean view rooms as it is either ocean or parking lot. no tv, dated decorating 80's wall paper and antique bureau's (treasured by some), hardwood floors, VERY CLEAN bathroom and room. Convenient parking.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
HOME
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

I stayed there with my husband and our preteen daughter. This is the second year we stayed for the July 4th weekend. Last year was very nice, so we decided that this would become a yearly tradition. What I now figure is that last year must have been a fluke, because the price had drastically increased this year (almost $500 / night), and the service had also degraded. Our first night was spent sitting on the porch at 10:30 pm drinking a glass of wine with my husband, while we listened to two dogs barking at each other on the hotel grounds. On the second night, the 4th -right after the fireworks ended -we brought two of our relatives and their daughter -who live in Kennebunkport vacinity -back to our room so they could see what the accomodations were like. At 10:25 pm, the manager knocked on our door and said we needed to be quiet. Our relatives then left, our niece stayed over, and my family proceeded to settle down for the night. My husband was almost sleeping when the manager knocked on our door once more at 10:55 pm. He was standing there with two other hotel employees and informed us that he had been standing at our door listening to my daughter and our niece whispering. He told my husband that we cannot whisper. My husband was insulted and infuriated by this statement and told us that we were leaving. At 11:20 pm, we packed up our car and departed -good riddance! We love Kennebunport, and will return, but NOT AT THIS HOTEL. Next time, we will be staying at the Nonantum Resort, at a much more reasonable price. I find it quite bizzarre how this night manager can indiscriminately knock on a hotel room door and tell guests that they cannot whisper. He obviously didn't have reason to knock the second time, because he didn't quite know what to say.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank IMA-TRAVLIN-GIRL
NYC, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

Just returned from our second trip to the Colony. We had stayed previously about three years ago. It was nice then, but has really improved! The service was better, the place seemed spruced up, and the views are still gorgeous. Who would not enjoy lounging by the heated salt water pool or sipping a drink on the veranda? We travel with our Lhasa Apso dog (who is exceptionally well-behaved). We did experience a couple of barking dogs, so as the other reviews say, it is probably more for people who are tolerant of pets. Also, remember this is a "green" hotel, so no TV or air conditioner is provided. Just enjoy the amazing views, the putting green, the pool, the beach, the shopping, and the restaurant, and you won't even miss them...

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loveabuy
New Lenox, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

My party ranged in age from 5 years to 82 years. Everyone loved this place. The heated saltwater outdoor pool was a challenge in October, but we loved the evening swims. The artwork in the lobby showed experiences of turn of the century visitors, who lounged outside, participated in afternoon tea, or also enjoyed the beach. The beach really wasn't for swimming, and my older mother couldn't make the steep walk, but it was great for a long walk. We enjoyed our sail aboard the "Eleanor" which my mother was able to do. We highly recommend "Mabels" for lobster - it's small but the big names never miss it. The shopping was crazy crowded in the main street area, but I'm not a shopper. We also ate lobster at the dock where you board the Eleanor - very good. You pay $35 for a lobster, but it's worth it. How many times do you get to Maine? Back to the hotel - there is an elevator or staircase. We got the breakfast inclusive which was worth it - a nice, fresh buffet each morning in a dining area overlooking the grounds and seaside. We drove to the Bush compound for a view from the roadside, and of course the fall colors were outstanding. We luckily caught them in peak season around October 10th. The staff at the hotel front desk weren't exceptionally attentive, but were friendly. Our room was not air conditioned (just fine in October), it was comfortable and cozy. It was a little challenging not to have TV, just bring your ipod or be prepared to read. We discovered a TV room off the lobby and a library containing puzzles down the hall from that. We got hooked on a New England puzzle, and spend hours at it - even bought it at a souvenir shop later on the trip. My family played golf in the back grounds putting green. I learned to appreciate the serenity of the place and to plan on hanging out in the general areas - main lobby for tea, fireplace, library, restaurant, TV room, verandas, gazebo. It is a great place to unwind. Be wary of noisy guests and don't hesitate to contact the front desk - sound really carries in this place. Oh, and I'm a dog lover so I really enjoyed seeing the occasional well-behaved dog in the place.

• Liked — location and views from our room, history and comfort of the place
  • Disliked — service, a bit pricey (but would do it again)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank TravelRZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#13 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!