“ooh la la in Kennebunkport”
Review of Colony Hotel

Colony Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
New Orleans, Louisiana
“ooh la la in Kennebunkport”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Found The Colony Hotel after getting turned away (no vacancy) at another place on Ocean Avenue...so glad that happened!!! Its just around the corner from the Bush compound and the grounds are beautiful, not to mention the ocean view from our room. Verandas abound facing the water, so does the breakfast room and the heated pool and bar. There wasnt an ugly view to be had! We rented bikes and rode along the ocean, had a wonderful breakfast and a gorgeous room. No tv in the rooms, but we didnt miss it.

Room Tip: get a room on 2nd floor to see the ocean a little better
2 Thank artistwanabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Georgia
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Upon driving up to this hotel, I immediately imagined what it was like in early days of its existence. i could imagine ladies dressed in their amazing flowing gowns and hearing the music of that era. I love music of the 20's and 30's and I was born in the 70's! This is not to say they play this era of music here, I didn't hear any, more modern. I think it would be neat to have a "theme" week of that era. There is just something in that type of music that makes me imagine the days where people were kinder, connected and family driven. The view from this hotel out to the ocean is just BREATHTAKING! There is a mini putting green too. The rocks there at the beach are smooth and soft and at nighttime, the sunset's on good days are amazing! The pool is salt water for those who are chlorine sensitive. The food is wonderful and the service is to the top! You will not be disappointed and you can also visit George W. Bush house (Walker's Point) down the road. Yes, this is a very dog friendly area including on the beaches and in town which is just a stroll away to local shops. Most people are very good about picking up after them. This is truly one of my favorite hotels I have ever been to and will continue to go back time and time again.

Room Tip: The higher the better view. There is a room near the restaurant on the bottom floor that could be t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ShowTheWorldYouCare
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My fiance and I wanted a quick night away to celebrate our birthdays and our recent engagement and this hotel really provided most of what we needed. It has a private beach where we enjoyed the sunset, until the bugs came out then we moved our party of two to the heated salt water pool that also had ocean views. Our King size bed was comfy, the bar had live music from 5-7 and the breakfast buffet appealed to the masses. He got his bacon and I enjoyed the fresh fruit.

The staff was very friendly and hospitable. Those with dogs or looking to plan a destination wedding, I'd certainly recommend you check this place out. My only regret is that we didn't have an extra night.

Room Tip: Our ocean view room was indeed, but we were on the second floor and the ocean is a short walk across...
2 Thank T G
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Staying at the Colony felt a little bit like a time warp - in all good ways! I stayed during Memorial Day weekend in a gardenside room, and although the room was a bit small by modern standards, it was extremely comfortable. Very cozy bed, a small desk, an armchair, a bureau, and a nightstand with an ipod dock/speakers. The bathroom was similarly small but very nicely appointed (including a tub) and of course clean. The back porch, looking out past the hotel pool and putting green and out to the water is the real benefit here - gorgeous views! I will say that if you're a light sleeper, or planning to spend any time in your room during the day, it would be worth bringing along earplugs. You can definitely hear through the walls/floors/ceiling - again, this is an older hotel - but if you're prepared for that it's not a big deal. My first night there was a wedding reception downstairs, and it was going strong (I think I heard every word of the best man's speech) when I left for dinner. But everything was quiet by the time I got back later in the evening, so the hotel is certainly very respectful of its guests needs.

I would love to stay here again, and would recommend it! (With a few caveats for particularly picky travelers.) I did get a peek into an ocean-view room at one point, and it looks like it's worth the extra money for it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank emclem
North Oaks, Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Colony in September and it exceeded our expectations. This is a classic old hotel. Our room was certainly not their most expensive and did not have a/c and at this time of year we didn't need it. Our room also did not have a tv but we did not miss it. We left the window open all night to hear the sounds of the water coming ashore. We had a wonderful view of a wedding reception taking place outside and also a partial view of the water. We were very impressed with the staff. Everyone we came in contact with from the desk people, restaurant staff, to the staff that cleaned the room were very cordial, friendly, and knowledgeable. We ate at one of their restaurants and both our meals were great. The buffet breakfast which is included in the room was fantastic. Remember this is an old historic hotel so the "look" may not be as up to date as you might want. But it is a great step back in time and we believe it was an excellent value.

2 Thank Rich J
Abington, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Our one night stay which we cut short was a nightmare! We were booked for the weekend and could not stay more than one night. We were promised a room with a garden view. The room we got was a room with a half dead bush right outside the window which was facing the back end of the parking lot. In addition the staff was less than friendly. The room also had a strange odor which was not very pleasant. Needless to say after seeing this room we asked to be moved at whatever cost. They told us they could not do this. We also were bothered by barking dogs which are also guests at the hotel and they are also allowed to accompany their owners to the dining room. These dogs were NOT service animals. do this. So we found a hotel that could accommodate us. After we stayed one night we checked out and stayed at one of the best hotels.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Diane S
New York, NY
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed 1night at the Colony hotel. With the windows open, we the sounds of the waves crashing against the gray rocks lulled us to sleep. Very spa like.

The hotel is an old historic hotel with beautiful grounds and is on the ocean. There is a lovely pool. The breakfast is included and is fantastic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank acgwinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Kennebunkport
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#15 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!