“Bad experience in midst of Maine heatwave”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Colony Hotel

Colony Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Jacksonville, Florida
“Bad experience in midst of Maine heatwave”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Before I begin this review let me say I am sure Colony Hotel is a nice place to stay when the weather isn't 99 degrees outside.

Having never been to Kennebunkport before, we were pretty excited as we drove down Ocean Ave and saw the towering hotel ahead of us, a Grand Hotel as you drive up. Our worries began as we noticed every room in the hotel had its windows open leading us to believe there was NO AC in the hotel. But there was a nice breeze and we had confidence all would be ok. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous with old wood paneling and magnificent view over the ocean just a block away.

Our rooms were "garden" view whatever that means. We looked out over the parking lot that was noisy and has ZERO breeze coming through the windows. I am not joking when I say it was 20 degrees hotter in our room than it was in the hallway or the lobby. We were assured once the sun went down it would cool down. There was a small fan in the closet but we still chose to pick up additional fans from Wal-Mart for the evening.

As stated above we had a "garden" view or parking lot view. Sun goes down we have already had dinner and drinks and our room is still sweltering even with two windows open and three fans running. Plus the noise from the parking lot below. Needless to say it was not an enjoyable evening at all. If you close the shades you get no breeze, open the shades you get lights from the lot and no blockage of the sounds below.

As for the room if that is what you want to call it. There way a ceiling fan but the room being generous here was probably 12 x 12 at the most. With a bed and dresser there was no room to walk around and in the stifling heat it was even worse. The bathroom was modern but nothing that I would write home about. There are no TV's in the room and the Wi-Fi was terrible. I was able to get connected but it would only stay connected for about 5 minutes before I was booted off.

It was a restless night for my wife and I, the other couple we were traveling with had the same restless night. At one point I got up around 2:00 a.m. and my shirt was soaked with sweat. We were booked for two days we checked out a day early. If I could have pulled it off, I would have slept by the pool in a deck chair. I spent $250 to sleep in a sauna.

The morning breakfast was nothing special. Nothing fancy, a typical breakfast buffet of eggs, bacon, potato and fruit. Our waiter was very nice. I can say the dinning room was cooler than our room.

I am sure if you can get an ocean view room with an ocean breeze coming through your windows this is a grand hotel to stay in. I am sure if the temperatures were at the July averages of low 80's this might have been a nice place even for garden view rooms. But with temperatures in the upper 90's this was not an enjoyable stay. I do commend the hotel for allowing us to get out of our 2nd night with no penalty.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room or hope for cool weather
2 Thank Smontag212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Mamaroneck, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We've stayed at the sister Colony Hotel in Delray Beach, Fl several times, so decided to try this property for our Maine trip. We spent 3 nights in an oceanfront room in the original historic building. Maine was having a heat wave and the rooms in this building aren't air conditioned. Happily the large oceanfront room had 5 windows. We were actually very comfortable with the ocean breezes coming through the windows and the ceiling fan. I recommend splurging on the oceanfront room. The other rooms are smaller and didn't get the same breezes.
The hotel has a good sized swimming pool with the ocean view. There were also many activities guests could enjoy including a putting green. there is no regular fitness center or spa, but we weren't looking for those features.
Anyone traveling with a dog would definitely want to consider the Colony. It is very dog friendly, and all the dogs we saw were remarkably well-behaved.
Highly recommend staying at this grand old lady.

Room Tip: Choose oceanfront room in main building (5 windows, 3 facing ocean directly, 2 on side). From wha...
1 Thank CLFTraveler
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We love the Colony Hotel - we stayed there last summer as a family (with two young kids) and then went back as a couple for our anniversary. We stayed in the main hotel in an oceanside room - no need for AC with the breeze coming off the ocean. We are headed back for another family vacation this summer - this time we opted for two adjoining rooms oceanside in the main hotel rather than all four of us staying in one room - can't wait! The pool is amazing, they have a great little beach across the road and the shops/restaurants of Kennebunkport are a short walk away. The service is impeccable - no complaints here!

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel - wonderful history and charm
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BosKat
Weston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had a family reunion for 10 adults and 10 kids for 4 nights late June/ early July. Kis ranged from 3-12 and 1 set of grandparents. The hotel was a perfect choice. The main building was very charming and well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was great to let our 3 kids (9,11 and 12) have the freedom to roam the pretty grounds, play putt-putt or join us at the pool.The beach was fun for exploring. Ocean was a bit cold, so we swam in the pool. Our room was perfect, but no AC or TV. Not a problem with the cool breezes, ceiling fans and iPads. My kids loved seeing the dogs of guests around the resort; we never had any problems of any sort with that even though my husband is allergic. A game room would have been a nice touch. but we made our own with games we brought from home for the kids. They loved playing flashlight tag after dinner (be brought our own). Plenty of pretty places to sit with a book/kindle/newspaper. Excellent WiFi and cell service.
The walk to town for dining and shopping was fun. A hotel shuttle would have been great, especially for my mother-in-law who needed a hard to find taxi to get back to the hotel.
Weddings seemed to be going on all weekend long, which was not a problem for us, but some in our party had too much DJ noise on Friday and Saturday nights.
The pool was clean and well run with plenty of seating and poolside waitstaff. Plenty of pool towels, and sundries like sunscreen, etc available in the tiny giftshop.
I cannot say enough about the Dining staff. They were so accommodating for our large group. We had 1 shellfish allergy and 3 gluten-free guests in our group and they were able to handle us with no problems. I would only comment that a bit more variety would be better for a stay of more than 3 nights, as the lunch and dinner menus are the same for the casual dining/poolside restaurant. The breakfast buffet was wonderful for all in our group. Very attentive waitstaff, but the kitchen was CRAZY slow to put out the orders, especially in the evening when a wedding was going on. After the first meal, we ordered and prepared to wait a while and planned accordingly. We did not have the buffet Friday night, as we had a private room.

I would definitely return to the Colony Hotel for a long weekend. Next time, I would book a king room for my husband and I with the shared bath and 2 twin room for my son AND get a 2 queen room with private bath for our daughters. 2 bathrooms would have been great.

Room Tip: Main Building rooms have no AC or TV
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mmausten
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wow, This place a throw back to yesteryear and all of the charm that goes with it! My travel party was my husband and my two kids (ages 19 and 16) and me. What a beautiful hotel in such a breathtaking setting, which hits you as soon as you enter the lobby. This hotel oozes charm that cannot be duplicated in newer hotels. Colony Hotel and the entire town of Kennebunkport is like being in the middle of a Hallmark Christmas movie, it's the most perfectly quaint, idyllic New England town you could hope for.

The hotel is old but has been maintained beautifully, but, I will repeat, it is old! There is NO air conditioning or televisions in the rooms in the main building, so if this is important to you don't stay there. But, I guarantee there is not a hotel near or far that gives you the ambiance this one does. Also, quite a few comments have been made about how thin the walls are, not true. Just like in any hotel you can hear people as they walk by your room talking in the hallway but I never heard anything through the walls from my neighbors. We had a room that faced the ocean, it was perfect, I highly recommend that.

The Colony has two restaurants and offers a complimentary breakfast buffet each morning. There is a more formal dining room with spectacular views of the water and a more casual restaurant by the pool with a more informal menu. Both are very good.

The hotel is just about a mile from town. It is a very easy walk and an even easier bike ride, the hotel provides bikes. As I stated earlier the town of Kennebunkport is charming and beautiful with many shops and good amount of restaurants. Also a short bike ride away is the Bush family compound which is picturesque. The ride there is along the sea, just lovely!

The staff at Colony Hotel was wonderful!!!! Each person behind the front desk was friendly and VERY helpful and the dining staff was great too!

They have a very large salt water pool and the pool area is very spacious and amazing views of the ocean. They also have a nine hole putting green and shuffle boards.

I cannot wait to go back!!! I LOVE COLONY HOTEL!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank GEORGANNCHESTERFIELD
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We are frequent travelers and know New England well and this was our first commitment to Kennebunkport. The Colony is one of those grand old historic hotels that is long past its prime. You can sense the earlier grandeur but it, and the grounds, could use a very serious multi, multi-million dollar upgrade. If you like this 1890, no AC, or TV, this might hit you perfectly but she is a pretty tired old gal. If you have a pet you will be very happy.

The location and views are spectacular which significantly offset the lack of modern amenities, comfort and upscale accommodations one would expect at the $300/night level. The really great part of this property is it's location. Easy walking access to exceptional dining. The Colony is a throwback and it is an important landmark to the community, it's just not my cup of tea in it's current condition.

Room Tip: Hit Mabel's for dinner, you will love it!! The shuffleboard right out front is a fun little dist...
2 Thank Foodie2D
Nashua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Tried the buffet at the Colony Hotel July 4th, and it was a very pleasant experience. The items offered were extensive: salads, lobster, prime rib,pork, salmon,chicken,potato, corn plus sauces. My only suggestion would be to label each item, especially the salad dressings, as you had to guess at some steam tables. The dessert offerings were absolutely spectacular too many to itemize. I would highly recommend going there next July 4th. I was told 400 people were served at the two dinner settings. After dinner ,while drinking your coffee,one could see the fireworks
from the surrounding towns.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BostonBrahminNashua
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!