“Beautiful views, nice staff”
Review of Colony Hotel

Colony Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We just spent 4 days at the Colony Hotel and from the bellman to the front desk to the dining servers, the culture of this hotel staff is awesome and totally focused on providing great service.

I have to tell you Roselyn at the front desk is a sweetheart! She went out of our way to make sure we had a great first impression when we checked in!!

Everyone on the staff was so attentive!

Great job with training!

Te food was really good and the views are awesome!

Can't wait to come back and enjoy this beautiful old hotel again!!

Room Tip: Room 101 is a great room! Expansive views of the ocean, pool and grounds.
1  Thank SteveRandazzo

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is like stepping back in time. The view over the Atlantic is stunning. The rooms are old, but quite comfortable. No AC, no TV. You do not need either as there is plenty to keep you and the kids busy. The area offers wonderful dining, shopping, water excursions, beach, pool and just good relaxing. The hotel is a very comforting spot with good service and friendly staff. Breakfast is a very well stocked buffet, lunch can be had by the pool and dinner is excellent in the hotel and all around Kennebunkport. The bar closes a tad early in the hotel, but perhaps that will change. Try the Mudslide! Great place to spend a wonderful few days with or without the kids. Various room configurations make travel with family members easier than most places.

Room Tip: Call and tell them exactly what you need and they can place you in an appropriate room set up.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mike215
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I really believed the hotel was on the beach even though they said it was across the street. But, even once you crossed the street it was hardly a beach....all rocks...no place to sit- disappointed.

Anyway, in order to get to a beach you had to go to some country store (we choose Goose Rocks Beach) and buy a parking pass then go. It wasn't that bad but it wasn't easy. Goose Rocks Beach was actually very nice. 10- 15 minutes away.

The hotel was clean. Dog friendly. The dogs could even sit on the porch and have dinner with you - well not my crazy puppy. Dogs were not allowed by the pool which I understand. The pool and pool deck were very nice but not enough seats. The first two days we stayed by the pool all day and had lunch on the pool deck. It was very nice.

The staff was helpful. I paid my bill in cash and I don't think they liked that because they wanted you to runs tab and pay at the end. Oh, it was not cheap. Include the extra $30 for the dog and we were at $330 per night. One thing at checkout, they handed me a bill and all I can say is luckily I saved my paid receipt....because they lost it and thought I did not pay.

The location is great. You could walk to town, but it's 20 minutes (I did it). Most restaurants in the area were pricey.

Since we were in Maine, I thought we'd visit a lighthouse or two. Goat Island lighthouse is the closest but not open to the public. On the way back to CT I insisted on stopping in York ME to see the Nubble lighthouse, but there really is no lighthouse that i could find within 1/2 hour of Kennebunkport.

The town is cute but all tourist traps.

Overall, it is a resort type hotel with many activities planned - this I liked...very family friendly.. I am not sure it is the best value, but it was enjoyable overall.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gate House because it had AC. The room was big, clean, colorful and very nice.
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were at the Colony Hotel in September. Our room was in the East Building. While the main hotel itself looks really nice, the room in the East House was below expectations. The bed sheets felt damp. The room smelled of desinfectant and there were stains on the chair. We had dinner in the main dining room. The food was ok although a bit pricey. Our waitress was a young South African who was very nice and professional.
Something we really enjoyed was the veranda where you can sit and enjoy the view. The grounds of the hotel are very well kept.
My only recommendation to travellers would be to make sure that you ask for a room in the main buliding with a view of the ocean and that you avoid the East House.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is located in the main building if you want a view of the ocean.
Reviewed September 8, 2012

What a wonderful place - you'll feel that you've gone back in time to a grander era. It has it all - this is a beautifully decorated, well maintained hotel with a scenic ocean view and close to everything. The staff is very friendly and attentive. Breakfast on the porch is a special treat. Kennebunkport is a charming town. We enjoyed our first lobster roll at the Clam Shack (might as well start with the best!) and a great dinner at Mabel's. Be sure to stop in to see Wendy Webster Good at Fine Art in Kennebunkport. She'll give you great tips on local sites to see.

1  Thank Go21
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just returned from a second great family summer vacation at the Colony Hotel. The setting is beautiful. The pool is great and never too crowded. The breakfast buffet is varied and tasty. The staff is helpful. We stayed in the East House, which is lacking in charm but is perfectly adequate; the point of the trip isn't to hang around in the room. The only downside is that it is a little too far to walk to town. And the food is a little pricey for the quality, but you're paying for the convenience of eating at the resort.

1  Thank Juniper19
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed in the air conditioned East House, the grounds are so beautiful, the view is unbelievable, the walk to town is about two miles so we drove, many walk it though. The area restaurants are great, try Federal Jacks and Allissons and go to Ogunquit and Perkins cove, don't forget to walk the marginal way and eat at Barnacle Billy's

Room Tip: I stayed in East House because it had air conditioner and tv, room 707 had a big hump in the floor I...
2  Thank Elisa J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
1 mi away
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Rhumb Line Resort
Rhumb Line Resort
#6 of 6 in Kennebunkport

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!