“Oldie but goodie”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Lancaster, Massachusetts
“Oldie but goodie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

My wife and I visited this hotel for a wedding that was being held there. The rooms are very roomy but there is no air conditioning or TVs in the room in the main building. They do have AC and TVs in another part of the hotel but do not remember what they called that part. Dogs are welcome in the hotel so if you are a dog owner, you are in luck. Went during the labor day weekend and was a very popular attraction. It is part of the historic hotels of America.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Feener

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

First, the positives. This hotel is absolutely beautiful with great architecture, very nice lobby, and very well-maintained grounds. The main hotel is very large, and many of the rooms have great ocean views. The buffet breakfast included in the stay is very good. Far superior to every other "free" breakfast that I've had at a hotel.

This hotel is also billed as a "green" hotel, which I have found usually means that visitors will get less amenities than they are accustomed to. For example, the rooms have no television, no coffer maker, no microwave, and no refrigerator. Most of those people can live without, but if traveling on business alone, a hotel room with no TV can be awfully lonely, even with the fabulous views and setting. Also, without a TV to block out noise, it is easy to hear noises from nearby rooms. The basic room rates can be very reasonable. However, my wife and I brought our two-year-old toddler on our stay. For this, we had to move into a larger room at $40 more per night. This was understandable to a point, as the larger room had two beds instead of one. However, we also had to pay an additional $30 per night for the extra person. I can see $30 if it's a teenager who's going to eat a large breakfast, but we paid a total of $70 per night extra to have a two-year-old in our room. This seems excessive. On top of that, had we wanted a refrigerator or microwave for keeping milk, warming up cereal, etc., those would be $30 per night EACH. It's safe to say this is not exactly a kid-friendly hotel, at least if you are on a budget.

All-in-all, this hotel is still a great place to stay but did come across as being at a crossroads. Many of the accolades they reference are from the late 90s or early 2000s. They have not spent much upgrading the rooms (one thing I noticed was both lamps and the very nice clock radio were all plugged into an extension cord -- scary). They are keeping their basic rates low, but charging a lot for upgrades. It is in many ways a first-class hotel, but in other ways a basic budget motel. Given a decent rate, however, I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: If paying for an ocean view room, be sure it has two windows. We were on a corner and only had one...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank eastharbor11
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

Very reasonable and nice rooms! Nice views from the lobby and restaurant. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank crabof71
Barboursville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

Traveling with our dog, we ended up at the Colony Hotel last minute having to leave another hotel that was horrible. They gave us Room 720 in the East Wing. Even though we checked in at 9:20 pm, we had to wait for a bit, but they were kind enough to lower the price of the room as it was only for one night. The cleaning staff finished and we found a room where they had just sprayed air freshener. I personally hate that, but luckily the windows opened and they were screened, so we were able to air out the room pretty good. I think it was a former smoking room as it had a slightly stale old smoke smell in it. But it had two queen beds, was comfortable and clean, renovated bathroom with decent shower head (although the bathroom was pretty narrow and small). No view from our room, but the hotel itself is in a magnificent location next to the beach and the outside of the hotel is incredibly grand and beautiful. The staff was very nice and all dog-lovers and made us and our dog feel very welcome. The buffet breakfast was actually fantastic, and I am not one for buffets. The only problem was it was so crowded and busy in the hotel and we happened to get stuck next to a mob of rude young French people crowding around us talking at breakfast, which was annoying. It is a very big place, but if you are traveling with a dog they are very nice there. You won't find that much serenity in this hotel -- it's busy!

Room Tip: I was told to make sure your room has air conditioning and cable tv, if that is important to you. I...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lebanon, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed here 2 very very long days just a week ago . Dogs were everywhere, you couldn't get away from them . Barking and fighting all the time in the parking lot, lobby, hallways and rooms on either side . You couldn't even sit on a chair in the lobby or tv room without getting dog hair on you .
One of the nights I almost got bit when a beagle decided to attack a lab and I was in his way.

I like animals as much as the next person but this was just crazy !!

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
13 Thank dpj3741
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four days, two of which were in a Garden Queen room, and two in a Ocean Grand room. The former was a lovely cozy (small) room that, like the rest of the property, is well-maintained and very very clean. We could only walk around the bed in single-file, but were nevertheless very comfortable. The Ocean Grand room was at least twice the size of our other room, had a magnificent ocean view, and the three of us were able to eat in the room with no problem. We traveled with our beloved beagle so being able to feed ourselves indoors, in bad weather, was important to us. Before we changed to the larger room, the hotel staff was able to help us feed ourselves protected from foul weather, without our having to eat in our bed. There are rooms in this hotel that are intermediate in size so there is a room to suit any traveler.
The staff of the hotel is outstanding in every respect. They give good recommendations and directions and seem to love what they do. There is great supervision and communication among the staff that ensures that the guest-experience is topnotch. The building and grounds are kept perfectly without the guests being made to feel the least bit uptight. As a dog-friendly hotel, the atmosphere is, in fact, laid-back but never sloppy. Likewise, it seems that the people attracted to this place are very friendly, relaxed and polite....and never stuffy. The dogs get along too.
If you are worried about the dog-friendliness, be assured that there is no dirt around, no bad smells, no noise. It's amazing, really, how undoggy this place is! There is a good balance here between the human and the canine. We have already made our reservations for next year.

Room Tip: Ocean Grand rooms are worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beaglesenior
Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

I have stayed at The Colony Hotel a few times before and wanted to enjoy a beautiful fall weekend. Because the weather forecast was supposed to be 80 degrees and sunny in October, I decided to stay at the Colony. When I called, the only rooms they had left were in the East House. We have stayed in both the Main House and the East House. I remember the East House being slightly outdated but that's what was available. I researched the comments on Trip Advisor and found that some people who had stayed in the East House said it was like a Motel 6. I actually emailed the person who wrote that and she said it was awful. I have to say that the room was not as bad as I had thought. The building is off site but it's right across the street from the main building. It was completely furnished with Maine Cottage furniture...which is high end furniture. It was cute and eclectic. Check out Maine Cottage's website for examples of what I am talking about. Dresser was painted red, mirror was green, headboards were blue...all very cute. The bathroom was clean, updated and had Kohler brand faucets, tubs, toilets. The bedding was also nice....down comforters, nice pillows, etc. What we really like about this hotel is the free buffet breakfast the next morning, the beautiful pools and grounds. We stayed at the pool all day and enjoyed walking on the beach and the grounds.

The negatives as I see them is this is a dog friendly hotel and there are pets everywhere. We were having lunch by the pool and a pet, walking by, had a little accident right where we were sitting. If you don't mind pets, it isn't a problem. I was also slightly disappointed in the check in. We got to the hotel at 2pm and our room wasn't ready. So we hung out by the pool and they said they'd call us when our room was ready. It was 4:30 and they hadn't called so I checked the front desk. They said our room was ready and they were just about to call us. It would have been nice to be able to check in a little earlier. The hotel was very busy as it was a nice weekend and there was a wedding going on as well.

We live in Maine and have the ocean at our disposal as often as we want it. I would agree with others in that if you want an ocean view, definitely book a room in the main building. However, if you are vacationing with kids and really just want to enjoy the pool and the town of K-port, then the East House is just fine. Oh and the internet was great. We took our Ipad and we always had internet access.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MaineMom5171
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,572 reviews
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#13 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!