“a hidden treasure”

Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hidden Pond Lane
Description: Simple yet innovative, Executive Che Joe Schafer's menu at Earth focuses on "farm to fork" freshness. In addition to local meats and seafood, ingredients are used from one of two onsite organic gardens-picked daily and incorporated into each dish to enhance the many flavors and provide a taste that only fresh ingredients deliver. Hand-made pastas, house-made charcuterie and wood oven fired pizzas are thoughtfully prepared and sure to impress your palate. Our wine program features selections from countries such as Argentina, Chile, and Lebanon, while inspired, signature libations are concocted with freshly muddled fruits and fresh herbs from the garden.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

it is hidden, alright i recommend using your gps , it's not that far outside Kennebunkport . my wife and i received a gift card for the restaurant . what a great surprise , we eat at a number of fine restaurants in the area , but this is our best place so far . all the food's come from local farm's and resources and what a nice wine list, with really great desert's and service was really great , the staff was really friendly and there for your every need .it has a unique inside interior , with wall's made of logs and a interesting bar shelf.

1  Thank chaz48
Danielle W, General Manager at Earth, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Chaz 48,
We are thrilled to be your “hidden treasure”! You truly do dine at many restaurants in the Kennebunkport area…and for you to call us the “best place so far” really is a wonderful compliment as we see you have done your homework (and your TAing)! Please do pass along our thanks to your friends who gave you the gift card also…perhaps our paths may not have crossed without them…come back and see us again soon!

There are newer reviews for Earth

Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you are in the area, you are going to want to eat at earth. The food is all sourced locally and expertly prepared by the chef. Its a beautiful restaurant and the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. I would also recommend staying at Hidden Pond for a very relaxing experience. After dinner, you can walk back to a bungalow and crash.

1  Thank Terry W

Terri,
Thank you for your five star review! We appreciate you taking the time to write about your time with us. We loved hearing you compliments and comments and hope you do find time to come stay with us at Hidden Pond…It is true, you can enjoy dinner at Earth, a seat by the bonfire and then take a short stroll to your bungalow…”and crash”!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I could go on and on and on, all I can say is dine here just once and then again and again and again! It is out of this world amazing!!!!!

1  Thank Linda M
Danielle W, General Manager at Earth, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Linda M,
What a title! We look forward to having you here “again and again and again”.
Our staff reads our TA reviews…and this one is invigorating! We feel like throwing our hands in the air and saying “Oh yeah”. Just what we all needed after a busy Kennebunkport Festival Weekend! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Farm to table cuisine , I have eaten at many fine restaurants and have to say that the best meal I have ever had was at Earth . It's a must try !

1  Thank Jamie W

Jamie W,
“best I’ve ever had” is quite the compliment! Thank you for showing your appreciation and support!! Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had dinner at Earth on the Saturday evening of the Memorial Day weekend 2013. First let me say that the atmosphere is fabulous. The room is beautiful with extrordinary lighting and a beautiful roaring fire. We were a little early for our reservation so we had a drink in front of the fire which was lovely. The wine list was fine and the staff were very friendly and attentive.

Our table was at the back of the covered outside portch right next to a back door which we think was used for room service deliveries. Not the greatest table for sure and cold due to the weather, however it was likely testimate to the fact that we only made our decision to give Earth a try 24 hours earlier, so we were likely lucky to get our 9 pm reservation.

I chose the bitter greens salad with mustard fruit and goat feta as an appetizer and it was fine. Although I have a hard time believing that you could mess up a mixed green salad. Then because we were at the beach, although not technically as Earth is back in the bush a few miles inland from Gooserocks, I decided to have the local seafood paella with spring peas and pea greens. I chose this mostly because there were only three seafood dishes on the menu to chose from, scallops, swordfish (which I try not to eat more than once a month due to the much reported mercury content) and the paella with local seafood. With some twenty years of Maine seafood experience under my belt I anticipated some good seafood. I should have ordered the scallops. The Paella came in a metal skillet that must have been under the heat lamp since the first sitting because by the time it arrived infront of me the rice was dried out and most of it stuck to the pan. It was totally without flavour and I left most of it on my plate. I like paella and I like seafood. Together they were going to be a totally awesome weekly cheat meal. But alas they were not.

My dinner companions ate the bread and olive oil, I did not waiting for my rice to satisfy that craving. The bread appeared to be uninspired white bread that would not have been worth the carb sacrifice. They both had the Skirt Steak with Marrow and each added an order of French fries. My husband said his was fair but it wasn't great. As mine was such a disappointment, when our friends visit Kennebunk for the first time next week we will not be dining at Earth. If you are looking for a great Maine dining experience there are other places to chose.

4  Thank 822SusanC

Susan C,
Thank you for returning my calls. It was nice to speak with you about your experience at Earth. Whether you decide to re-post on TA (as you said you would like to) or not, let me apologize again, I am sorry that your experience at Earth was not all you expected it to be.
As you know, I remembered your table from Memorial Day weekend and was disappointed you did not bring any of this to our attention when you were here with us. That being said, I am happy I could speak with you and gather more information about your evening. Thank you for your compliments and I hope you do follow through and try dining at Earth again.
To touch on a few points we discussed on the phone: It was a cool evening when you joined us, and being on the porch by the garden door can be a bit chilly after the suns sets this time of year. Had we known you were uncomfortable we would have happily moved you to the main dining room. Please ask for me should you like to return and I will make sure you are in the main dining room by the fireplace.
Earth does not have heat lamps, but we do make all of our own bread daily…I believe when you dined with us we had two breads offered that evening. A wild yeast crab apple sourdough and a French baguette served with Spanish extra virgin olive oil. It would be my pleasure to send over one of each for you to try at your leisure. I am sorry you did not try them when you came and would love for you to be able to enjoy them.
Please let me know if you would like some and I will happily send some to your home on the beach.
Danielle