“Excellent gluten free chowder”
Review of Gran's Chowder House - CLOSED

Gran's Chowder House
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Nice little place right in the middle of town. Good prices. I like that all of the chowders are gluten free so the entire family can enjoy it together. I wish they had sandwiches or desserts that are gluten free though

There are newer reviews for Gran's Chowder House

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Over rated. My wife had the clam chowder. It was Luke warm,specks of clams,watery with lots of butter,and mostly potatoes.
I had the Haddock Chowder which was also Luke warm and had a heavy fish taste. We were asked if to eat here or to go. We said to eat here and it was seved in a cardboard cup and plastic spoons. We sat out in front at a table. Not once were we approached by anyone an asked if we needed anything else or how was your chowder.
Subsequently we had clam chowder at other establishments and not only did these taste better but they were the same price or less expensive.
I think the owners should check out their competition and pay more attention to customer service!

2  Thank Gail W
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is just a quick restaurant with a counter to eat at or there are tables outside. Great place to grab lunch when shopping in town, Very good food! We had the lobster roll and chowder, both were excellent! Small and very clean.

4  Thank GEORGANNCHESTERFIELD
Reviewed July 14, 2013

You won't be sorry you fought the traffic, waited for the pedestrians and finally made it to Gran's.
The clam chowder is exceptional - full of clams in a very good broth.
Two of us shared a Lobster Mac 'n' Cheese....an excellent combination of elbow macaroni, cheese sauce with white truffle oil and very generous pieces of lobster.
Amazingly, we did have a bit of room left for a piece of owner Tony's blueberry pie. It was served warmed with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. It was pretty decadent, and was the perfect ending to our chowder experience.
To date, this is a take-out only place although there are some tables outside. The plan is for Gran's to expand through next door, allowing indoor seating and A/C.
Having said that, however, I'd sit out on a rock to have another piece of that pie.

3  Thank travchef
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The chowders were amazing, and gluten free which my wife appreciated for dietary reasons. They 4 different chowders. I sampled them all and they were wonderful. It was a little hard to find because it is tucked away in the corner of a building with several shops in it.

1  Thank titusbrown