“Great Food, Great Service”

Tides Beach Club Hotel Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tides Beach Club Hotel Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 51 Restaurants in Kennebunkport
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Belvidere
Description: Dining at the Tides Beach Club in Kennebunkport, Maine is a refreshing experience with the emphasis on fresh! Our menu is bursting with fruits of the seas and vegetables of the garden, skillfully prepared in an uncomplicated manner to emphasize the great quality of the food and loving attention of Chef John Shaw. Pair your favorite with one of our signature cocktails or a selection from our extensive wine list and we are sure that you will have a meal that you will never forget.
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Yummy Food - down to earth stuff with a high-end flair. For example, boneless fried chicken! Awesome! Friendly, experienced service. Oh yeah, and did I mention it's on the beach overlooking the ocean?

Reviewed September 8, 2011

My family and I had a wonderful experience at the Tides. Not only is it a beautiful restaurant, but the staff is very attentive and professional, and the food...simply delicious! I recommend the buttermilk fried chicken. The crust is perfectly light and crisp and the chicken is nice and juicy. I can't wait to come back and try other items on the menu.

1  Thank travelinbluesgal
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Wow, This place always had great bones but has gorgeously updated. Food is terrific.

2  Thank IggyNYC
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Had a wondeerful dinner and drinks at the Bar because the restaurant was packed.
Ben, the bartender could not have been more helpful with ideas about must see places while in town. Only negative was that the $30 beef entree, came with three small pieces of meat. Great, but not enough protein to fill up a person.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

As a local resident, I was excited to visit the new Tides. The interior has entirely changed from grand seaside cottage to... South Beach hangout? My reservation was for 7:15, and I arrived at 7:11 (it would have been later, but I snatched a parking spot just as someone was pulling out). I was greeted by the hostess/manager and told that our table was not ready yet, as the previous seating was still having dessert. The restaurant was, at best, half full. The rest of my family took a seat (on plexiglass barstools that were not to my liking, but that is purely a taste issue) at the bar, which was contemporarily elegant. The bar staff was very pleasant. I instead decided to explore the rest of the hotel, where I discovered interesting artwork, pretty light fixtures, and two floors worth of disgustingly stained carpeting - unacceptable for an establishment that opened its doors four months ago. At least the bathroom was clean.

We waited forty minutes to be seated (again, despite there being at least 8 empty tables that could seat our party of three), and were shown to a large table (actually too big to comfortably have a conversation) in front of the reception area. Though the music drowned out the ringing phone, "Good evening, you've reached the Tides Beach Club. How may I help you?" became ingrained in my mind. Part way through our meal families with children returned from their dinners out to bounce on the sofas directly next to our table. While I adore children, I was extremely grateful I was not having a romantic dinner. Nevertheless when ordering a $40+ entree, none of this wasn't entirely welcome.

The meal started off pretty well, however, as both salads were good. In fact, the pickled watermelon salad was excellent. The "wedge" (quotations necessary, because it is not a wedge, but a slice of bibb lettuce) was good with deliciously light dressing, wonderful blue cheese, and lovely tomatoes, but the bacon was definitely undercooked. The clam chowder was good (not great, as the potatoes were undercooked, as other reviewers have mentioned), but the fritters on top posed a problem. While tasty, they were too large to eat in one bite, requiring a knife and fork - which were not yet provided - causing much wrestling to break with a spoon. The raw wood table, with no linens or place mats, definitely took a hit. The entrees were definitely iffy. My salmon ($28) was very pretty, but the portion was way too small (I wear a size 2, but still required an appetizer, dessert, and discards from the others in my party to be full). Unfortunately the salmon was very overcooked (I always order mine cooked medium well-well done) and had a few bones in it. On the bright side, the fresh corn, zucchini, fava bean, and green peppercorn slaw was phenomenal! The others in my party both ordered the Surf-and-Turf ($42). Again, a very pretty plate. One teeny lobster tail was served coated (or perhaps poached) in butter - yummy but a bit overcooked. The potatoes and sauce were very good. Slaw was fine, as was the corn. But the kicker was that the portion was one small round of beef that was smaller than a deck of cards AND was tough. Dessert, however, was delicious - white chocolate creme brulee. Honestly, the texture was more pudding than custard and served in a pot that made eating all of it very challenging. The biscotti was very good.
Service was excellent, but I think they clearly knew they were charging way too much for what you were getting and asked "How is everything" as though they were waiting to be berated.
Would I go back again? Probably not, as there are many restaurants in Kennebunkport with better food and reasonable portions at close to half the cost.

3  Thank travelfan87
NatalieMWard, Managing Director at Tides Beach Club Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Your review of your recent visit to the Tides is disappointing to the entire team particularly coming from a fellow Kennebunkport Innkeeper dining with us as our guest. Our invitation to host your dinner was given in the most genuine spirit of hospitality and community and in an effort to introduce you to the new Tides. It is my most sincere hope that you will recommend the Tides to your guests as it is a very special dining experience. Our passion to provide memorable food and service is unrelenting and I am 100% confident that your guests will not be disappointed. Wishing you much success in the remainder of the season.

Natalie Ward