“Consistently Awesome”

Ranked #12 of 26 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
The Woodlands, TX
“Consistently Awesome”
Reviewed October 21, 2007

This was our 7th year of a 2 night stay at Cape Arundel. The scenery/setting cannot be beat, and the quality of the Inn continues to be run at a high standard. Located right on the ocean and just a few hundred yards from Walker's Point (Pres Bush 41's summer residence), it is simply wonderful to keep the windows open at night and listen to the crashing tide. It is a charming Inn with a service-focused staff. I'm already looking forward to our year 8 visit.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank vapafk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Arlington, VA
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I have stayed at this fabulous Inn many times and each experience gets better. Your troubles melt away from the moment you arrive and it is very hard to leave the beauful, relaxing porch with its bold views of the ocean. I like staying in the rooms in the "Rockbound" annex as the large picture windows give you a 24-hour view of the never-ending ocean activites right in front of the Inn. These include lobstermen checking their traps in the early morning, President Bush 41and 43 and their clan (the President's estate is only a few hundred yards away) zipping by in the cigarette boat or watching the coastal sloops and yachts as they go in and out the Kennebunk River which is right down the road. The Inn's restaurant has earned the New England Cable Channel's coveted Platinum Award and rightly so -- the food is terrific (the lobster risotto is to die for!) and the staff is exceedingly well-polished. With luck, you might get a night where the full moon rises out of the ocean to bathe the entire Inn in a heavenly glow. I've taken many friends to this Inn and recommended it to others and all give it top-notch reviews. I made a promise to myself to go back to the Cape Arundel every year and I've kept it for six years in a row!

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank VATraveler00
dallas TX
Reviewed September 21, 2007

My husband and I arrived in the pouring down rain and were we glad we were staying at Cape Arundel Inn! We decided to "stay in" for dinner and it was a great decison! Our meal (dinner) was fabulous and so much better than White Barn (disappointing). The next morning out came the sun and WOW! What a view!! We had the windows opened both days and both nights and loved hearing the ocean. It was spectacular! We felt like we had breakfast (wonderful) with The Bushes, as Walker Point was just across the way! Pretty fabulous setting!!! The only complaint was small bath and no robes. Other than that, in our opinion, it is the ONLY place to stay in Kennebunkport! Can't wait to go back!

Stayed September 2007
NY
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend at a rate of $375 per night. Overall the stay was nice enough, but there are things that should be noted prior to booking.

Pros: The location was excellent. The Inn is about a 20-30 minute walk into town, and is right across the street from the ocean. We had room number 2, which was a nice size, and had a wonderful balcony overlooking the ocean (the balcony is small and fits only 2 people). The room itself was relatively simple in terms of furnishings, but had two comfortable chairs to relax in if you didn’t want to sit on the balcony. The rest of the Inn was attractive, but not spectacular. There was a porch to relax at, but as the Inn is a restaurant as well, you really couldn’t use it after 5:00 as the restaurant took it over.

Cons: Ordinarily when you stay at an Inn or B&B a large part of the experience is the ambiance and chart; friendly owners, interesting conversations, tidbits, interesting furnishings, a flavor for the area that you cannot get staying at a large hotel. Unfortunately none of that was present here. We rarely got even a smile, and I think only one good morning over 3 days (they also changed staff everyday so you never knew who anyone was). There were no “extras” that we have come to expect staying at nice New England Inns (we heard that some of the other Inns in the area provided tea, snacks and cheese in the afternoons, and were very welcoming). This Inn really operating as a large impersonal hotel/restaurant. We just happened to be staying there. I usually give much stronger reviews of places, and am a pretty easy person to please. I thought that at $375 per night (this was their highest rate, you can stay for less) they provided very little, and I wouldn’t come back but instead would opt for some of the other Inns.

• Liked — Location and views
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff, not charming, lack of service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Useful_Info
boston
Reviewed May 26, 2007

The views were amazing, well worth the extra money for the rooms!
The inn is well kept and the staff was great. If you are looking for relaxing, sitting on the porch watching the waves and enjoying the sea breeze this is the place for you. My husband and I decided last minute to take a weekend away and we were fortunate they had a room available. The view from the room was spectacular. Sleeping with the windows open is a must!

My only concern would be staying here in mid-summer when the heat and humidity are high because there is no AC in any of the rooms, although the sea breeze was perfect for May, I am not sure if it would be enough on a steamy night in July.

We did not eat at the inn, although a couple we met later said it was wonderful. We did have breakfast, it was included, and it was just OK. I would have expected a little more for the cost of the room, but again the view made up for the misses.

My husband and I plan on going back - if you are looking to relax with the ocean breeze I would recommend this inn!

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The breakfast selection
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traynick
California
Reviewed August 12, 2006

This Inn's dining room was recommended by the innkeeper where we were staying (English Meadows Inn) for a special dinner, and it was just what we wanted. A quiet, romantic adult dinner. They have a lovely porch with a fabulous view of the ocean and the Bush compound (Sr. and the Mrs. were speeding around in the boat as we watched) from which to enjoy a drink and meet folks. I suggest getting there before your reservation and enjoying the view from outside before going in. Window tables are reserved for inn guests, which we weren't, but were glad to be seated under a fan which kept us comfortable on probably the hottest night of the year (no A/C). It's pretty pricey, but the food is good. I had grilled romaine salad and the duck, both were very good. Guests were more dressed up than I would have guessed for a resort town, which I liked. It was exactly the type of evening I envisioned - very relaxing, water views from every table, live piano music, professional service. My only complaint, and I'm running into this more and more, was the wine service. The wine steward took the time to talk to us about the wine list, recommend a wine, open it and pour it - once. He breezed by later to say "how's the wine?" - but didn't refill our glasses, and neither did our waiter. I even mentioned to the waiter that it would be nice if we didn't have to pour the (expensive) bottle of wine ourselves - and he apologized - but still didn't pour it! Oh well, I guess it's a lost art.

Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here. Pricey but good, as long as you're not expecting 5-star dining.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank UpgradeQueen
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2006

My wife and I found the Cape Arundel Inn last year while driving along the Maine Coast and decided to spend a few nights when we returned this year. The Inn and staff were terrific. The view of the ocean from our room was incredible. At night we slept with the windows open and the fireplace lit. We are looking forward to returning again next year.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Grand Hotel
#8 of 26 in Kennebunkport
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#15 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Cape Arundel Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!