“My Wife's 40th Birthday...”
Review of Hidden Pond

Hidden Pond
Ranked #7 of 26 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“My Wife's 40th Birthday...”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I initially discovered Hidden Pond last summer during a four night stay with our three young kids. We stayed in a two-bedroom cottage (Sweet Fern) that had a full kitchen and 3 full bathrooms (outdoor shower included). It was more than enough space to spread out and relax. We'd never been to Maine before and we fell in love with all Hidden Pond had to offer, including a sandy white beach (in front of their sister hotel just down the road). The kids particularly enjoyed s'mores by the fire each night. I was partial to reading the hand-delivered New York Times each morning on the screened in porch.

It was then that we realized Hidden Pond would be the ideal setting to celebrate her 40th birthday (no kids this time).

For the past 9 months, we’ve been in regular contact with Justin and Danielle while planning the big event (24 of our friends and family).

They each made the process of planning our stay easy, organized, and fun, with great suggestions along the way about what’s worked in the past for other guests. Their professionalism was extraordinary.

Our expectations were high, and I’m pleased (and shocked) to say that they were also shattered.

I can’t say enough about the wonderful settings (throughout Hidden Pond and The Tides) that ownership has created, not to mention the fact that the staff is so kind and attentive to every last detail.

We hosted a dinner at the Tides (sister hotel) on Thursday, an outdoor dinner at The Farm on Friday, and dinner at Earth on Saturday (durning the summer solstice)….each one leaving lasting memories (the weather cooperated too).

You can be sure that we’ll be back. Our friends are already clamoring to make visiting Hidden Pond an annual tradition.

Room Tip: The bungalows (1-bed) closet to the adult pool are very convenient and a few have views of "Hid...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear jkapmiami:

I look back fondly on the weekend that you, your wife and your closest friends spent at Hidden Pond -- I think I said it before, but you know how to celebrate in style! Danielle, myself and the entire staff between Hidden Pond, Earth and The Tides Beach Club were thrilled and pleased to have had the opportunity to share in what was a very special occasion. You were a delight to work with and a pleasure to have at the resort.

I look forward to more birthdays, special events or simply relaxing vacations spent with us at Hidden Pond.

Wishing you a great remainder of the summer!

Hidden Pond Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Loved our 3 night stay at hidden pond. Our cottage ( #6) was very comfortable and quaint. Sitting in the front porch with wind blowing and leaves fluttering was so relaxing. S'mores by the bonfire, dinner at Earth, and great service made this a memorable stay.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Susyabbo
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Susyabbo:

First Light (#6) is a great cottage -- you picked a great spot! Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit to Hidden Pond. I am glad that you had a chance to relax in a comfortable environment and that you found our service levels to be memorable.

We hope to welcome you back in the future, but in the meantime, I wish you an endless summer!

Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 19, 2014

In my job as meeting site selection specialist, I'm used to visiting fabulous hotels worldwide, but my stay at Hidden Pond was unique. It felt like I was coming home (to a much better decorated and equipped home). the bungalows and cottages are outfitted with top of the line amenities and down to 'earth' materials culled from the woods of Maine. S'Mores round the campfire fortified with glorious cocktail and tree frogs singing their summer serenade topped of a world class dinner in the Farm to table 'Earth' restaurant. No wonder the Bushes are frequent visitors while in residence. Even though there was AC, we opened the windows to let the fresh air blow thru at night. This is a beautiful, welcoming, relaxing spot perfect for a recharge stay. Enjoy!

Room Tip: For couples on a short stay, request a bungalow - comes with fridge and coffee maker - breakfast tre...
Dear Mary M:

What a title -- I can only some of the amazing sites you've seen and hotels you've visited, and it is a proud moment to know that Hidden Pond was a unique highlight. We hear a lot that Hidden Pond has a familiar feeling -- whether it be from childhood or a past trip -- it's a special attribute of our resort and I'm glad that it made you feel comfortable.

I am pleased that you had a chance to "recharge" your battery and enjoy a hiatus from the real world. Maine is a special state and we're so pleased to call it our "home". Looking forward to your return!

Maryland
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I visited Hidden Pond in the fall of 2013. (not sure why it's taken me so long to write the review - other than I wish I was going now?) What a beautiful property. Tucked away in the woods, this gem of a property is a MUST if you are looking for a romantic getaway or just a trip to get out of the normal rush.....and yet you really don't have to go that far. The cottages are spectacular. I love the way each cottage is situated so they each seem so private. The outdoor showers - WOW! And who doesn't love waking up to steaming hot coffee and muffins delivered quietly to your door? So fresh and hot. My husband and I enjoyed the spa treatments in tranquil settings of the treehouse spa! Who ever came up with that - pure brilliance! My husband enjoyed the workout facility every morning while I enjoyed the private yoga class. And let's not forget the restaurant. Not only is it BEAUTIFUL.....the food was spectacular. A must is the brussel sprouts! (yes!) My husband had a steak that cut like butter. We had a bottle of wine - sorry, can't recall what it was - that was suggested by our waiter. I would not have picked it, and it was a perfect match. This is a place we will return to in the near future.

Room Tip: We had a cottage in the back of the property. Perfect location! Very quite and looked into the woods...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Indydi
Dear Indydi:

It's never too late to write a review -- so I am very glad and appreciative that you took the time to do so! It sounds as though you're ready for another relaxing trip to Hidden Pond, so I hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

We are very pleased with our accommodations that are luxurious, yet rustic, and provide our guests the ultimate feeling of relaxation. I am happy that you enjoyed the amenities and unique features of the bungalows.

Earth is a special restaurant for a variety of reasons and it is great to hear that you enjoyed the food, design and the service levels.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and offering such kind praise of the resort. I anticipate your return and am so thrilled that we're at the top of your list!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from a stay at the Tides Beach Club, which is a sister property of Hidden Pond. Guests of TBC are able to use the amenities at Hidden Pond, including restaurant, pools, spa, etc. We had the pleasure of using the spa during our stay.

First of all, the location is very nice but hard to find. When entered into GPS, the address on the website doesn't get you to the entrance of the resort. We used two different GPS apps on our phone and ended us driving back and forth on the road for about 15 minutes before finding the entrance. It wasn't an issue but I would just urge other guests to look more at the road and less at the phone when finding the property.

We didn't see the inside of any rooms but the little cottages look so cute. For an extended stay or a trip with family, I think the cottages would be a perfect location. The restaurant wasn't open when we went but we peeked inside and the decor looked very cute. The menu wasn't to our taste but has a "farm to table" theme which I imagine is very well received by others. The roads within the resort complex are not paved, and it happened to rain the day we went and the place was a little muddy.

We did have the good fortune of visiting the Tree Spa at Hidden Pond during our visit. The spa is just that.... treatment rooms perched in the treetops surrounded by nature. The indoor-outdoor environment allowed you to listen to the birds chirp and the wind blowing the leaves on the trees. However, at one point there was a semi truck or another large vehicle making a lot of noise outside, which was quite disruptful. The room had a rustic look and feel but had all the modern amenities you would expect in a luxury spa. My husband and I each had very good massages and we added the 15 minute scalp treatment. We both get regular massages back home, and I would say that ours here were very good but not great considering the expense. It was the most expensive massage I have had, and I have been to some other pretty nice places. We were celebrating our anniversary and it would have been great to have a couples massage, but I believe all of the treatment rooms were individual rooms.

Overall, we had a great experience and the massages were a great part of our anniversary celebration. We would consider coming back to stay and/or for the Tree Spa.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annamicole
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Hello annamicole:

Thank you for sharing your review of your experience at Hidden Pond and the Tree Spa. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the "dual privileges" that are granted by staying at The Tides Beach Club, or vice versa -- it is certainly an attractive feature to our guests.

I apologize that you had trouble finding our resort -- I am a bit troubled that your GPS did not bring you to the right spot! This is the first time we have heard that the "354 Goose Rocks" address does not bring you right to the front entrance.

It sounds as though you were at the Tree Spa during a unique team, so I apologize that your massage was interrupted by nearby noise. We try to preserve an environment of peace at Hidden Pond (and particularly at the Tree Spa, given the nature of its business) so I am very apologetic that this was not your experience. I also wish that the massage was more memorable for you -- I am sorry that it fell short of your expectations, particularly given that it was your anniversary. I hope that you'll return to the Tree Spa during future visits and give us a second shot. I would be happy to connect you with Wendy, our Spa Director, upon your return so that we can see to it that your treatment exceeds your expecations.

I hope to see you at Hidden Pond in the future, whether it be for a stay, dinner or another massage! Wishing you a fantastic summer!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 3 day stay to celebrate our anniversary. We got a great deal because we visited before the busy season and during mid-week. We have so many wonderful things to say about Hidden Pond! Our bungalow was incredible--very comfortable and very romantic with a fireplace, nice amenities, and screen porch. The service was amazing--the staff really went above and beyond in all areas. We were surprised and delighted to arrive and see a bottle of champagne and dessert with a nice happy anniversary note. Breakfast delivered to the room each morning was a nice touch--we liked the combination of coffee, quiches, breakfast pastry, and fruit. The granola, yogurt, milk, and orange juice in the room on arrival was also great for breakfast. We loved the transportation to the beach/Tides and enjoyed a lovely day on Goose Rocks Beach. We had a nice dinner at Earth (appetizers and cocktails were great, entrees were good but not exceptional). We ate at the Tides Beach Club on our last night--the food and ambiance were excellent there! We didn't visit the spa, other than to use the small fitness room, but will definitely try that out next time! Finally, the campfire with smores each evening was a nice touch at the end of each relaxing day. Overall the resort was very quiet and empty--which we enjoyed. The location is tucked away--- a 10 minute drive from Dock Square in Kennebunkport and just over a mile from Goose Rocks Beach. Some people would probably get bored staying here if they are looking for more of an action packed vacation. If on the other hand you are looking for more of a quiet, romantic, getaway, you will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow in the Woodlands if you want peace and quiet!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear CPF623:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and for sharing your experiences from your relaxing anniversary visit to Hidden Pond Resort. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of a special rate during your stay -- be on the lookout for our email blasts, as the Spring and Fall months are great times to really enjoy some great value rates!

It sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed the small attention to detail that we take towards our approach to hospitality. You also seem to have had the chance to really take in the area while still allowing for plenty of time to relax and unwind.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future for another getaway to our little slice of paradise in Maine.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went to Hidden Pond in 2013 for the first time and knew that we had to return. We planned a return visit at almost the same time as our previous visit and were not disappointed. We spent a spectacular week there with amazing service. Due to some dietary concerns, Kristen made sure our bungalow was stocked with everything we might need (and even some fun extras!). Justin, the wonderful GM of Hidden Pond and The Tides, corresponded personally with me regularly prior to our visit to ensure that our reservation was accurate and to get the details of our visit. As always, Marcio, the on-site fitness and outdoor adventure guru, was phenomenal. His enthusiasm and professionalism is unsurpassed. We love Hidden Pond and already are planning a return visit next May (or even sooner if I can talk everyone into it!).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cscarow
Dear cscarow:

Thank you for a lovely review and for confirming that your 2nd visit was just as much of a success at the first. I speak for all of us when I say that we thoroughly enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy) having the opportunity to put a personal touch on your stay from reservations to activities to the food service at Earth. It means so much to myself and my staff to know how special Hidden Pond is to you both.

We all look with excitement towards welcoming y'all back for seasons to come! Wishing you an endless (but not too hot!) summer...

Justin Grimes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#1 of 1 in Cape Elizabeth
Captain Lord Mansion
Captain Lord Mansion
#3 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Hidden Pond? Share your experiences!