“Too Cool - Must go!”
Review of Hidden Pond

Hidden Pond
Ranked #6 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Five star resort in the woods! Underrated excellence. My spouse and I stayed for just a few days, and even though it rained half the time, the three season porch, fire place, and breakfast delivered to your door daily made this the ideal location. If you like to sit and read by the pool, find great restaurants and eat and enjoy a romantic second honeymoon in the woods, look no further. The cabins for couples are very spacious and gorgeous, the website does not do them justice. Outdoor showers, beautiful bathrooms, a living room, wonderfully private and very much an outdoor play ground.

The bike rentals(free) are throw backs to another era, yet made for everyone. Take a ride to "Tides", their sister property (i have stayed there as well, quite good) and enjoy the seaside views.

Hidden Pond Has a supper van that takes you into Downtown Kennebunkport where there are many dining options. Foodies, eat at Earth on site, they are quite good, like Boston cuisine in the woods!

The pool side is so sheik, it's almost too cool for the majority of people that attend. The bar has their own selection of drinks- just go with it, they do a great job. Stick around for the s'mores at night.

This place is my favorite in Maine.

Room Tip: We stayed further out in the high thirties and forties range and loved it, but it is a further walk...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Dear Dylan J:

It is relieving to hear that the rain couldn't put a damper on your vacation in Maine!

The beach cruisers are definitely a throw back and they're certainly the best mode of transportation to the Tides and Goose Rocks Beach. Who knew you could pedal a mile and a half and see the woods, marsh and crashing waves all the while! I'm also glad you liked the pool and drinks -- one of the best ways to spend an afternoon at Hidden Pond. Summer at it's best.

We're proud to be your favorite Maine spot and we look forward to welcoming you back for multiple visits to Hidden Pond. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of any assistance in the future in trip planning or anything related!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Hidden pond is a gem. The rooms are great and the food is outstanding. The service is first rate and the wine list is wonderful. I stayed in the cottages and it was great. The outside shower was a real treat!.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ujayish

Dear Ujayish:

Thank you for considering us a "gem", particularly in a town with so many great options for accommodations. We agree that our rooms and food offering offer a one-two punch and offer our guests an entirely unique and memorable experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy all of the amenities that you loved this time around. I hope that you are having a great summer in RI!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our family absolutely loves the cottages of Hidden Pond. My wife and I along with our three kids stayed here for 8 nights over the week of July 4th. We also stayed here the same week last year. We really enjoyed getting to see all our old friends at the resort. Everyone here is very friendly and especially nice to our children. We had a great stay and got to spend some great family time together. With that being said, there were several issues with service that we did not experience last year. The biggest issue we had this year was the housekeeping service. We joked last year that our cottage had to be under surveillance as we never saw housekeeping during our entire stay. We would leave for an hour or two in the morning and come back to a spotless cottage. This year was completely different however. We would leave every morning at 8:30 - 9:00 AM and get back for lunch at 12:30 - 1:00 PM to feed the kids lunch and get ready to put our 2 year old down for a nap. Our cottage was not cleaned any day prior to us returning. I had to call and inform them our little one had to take a nap and could they come over and clean our cottage. Thus, everyday we spent eating lunch on the patio and trying to stay out of the way of the housekeepers. I even called the last day in the morning speaking to Anna and letting her know we were going out for the morning. I asked her if housekeeping could come while we were gone and we still came back to an unclean cottage. This was a major inconvenience to our family. I would think the cottages with small children would be cleaned first as small children frequently nap in the afternoon.
We also notified the front desk on our check in that our ice maker was not working. It was not fixed the entire length of our 8 day stay. We had to call 1-2 times per day to get ice brought over to fill up the ice maker bucket. I was surprised this was not taken care of. At the very least I would think this would be filled without asking everyday.
We were also disappointed the grill closed at 5 PM this year. It was great last year to be able to feed the kids prior to the babysitter coming for parents night at Earth.

Speaking of Earth, the restaurant and service was truly amazing. We had dinner 4 nights at Earth and every single night was fantastic. Matt was great again and took care of us each night. I truly think our evenings at Earth were the highlight of our trip. Make your reservations far in advance as it is well worth it.
The activities with Marcio were also wonderful. The kids loved the nature hike. He is such a nice and outgoing person and makes everything so fun for all involved.
Overall our vacation at Hidden Pond was a great experience again. I was just a little disappointed with some of the service issues this year. I was told by several staff members that they were short staffed because of the Holiday week and people taking time off. I hope this is true because last year was absolutely perfect in every way. I know Justin and his team will continue to do everything they can to make Hidden Pond a special place to visit.
Finally, I wanted to personally thank Kristen. My wife sprained her ankle on the last day of our stay, and it was very thoughtful of her to call and check on my wife after we arrived home.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear RonaldB12_12:

Thank you for your continued support of Hidden Pond the past two years. We pride ourselves on repeat business, so I want you to know how much we appreciate your patronage. Also, please know that your feedback from this review has prompted change that will enhance your vacation experience upon your future visits. I apologize that the shortcomings mentioned in your review happened in the first place, and furthermore, went unresolved after you voiced your displeasure to our staff. I can only imagine the importance of planning your day around nap times and I am sincerely sorry that our coordination efforts were unsuccessful (or nonexistent). It seems as though we failed to meet you in the middle with the same sense of urgency that you had and this is unacceptable. Next year, myself or Kristen would love to be your point person for planning housekeeping timing in advance so that we may keep a watchful eye and better manage the orchestration. Your frustration about the ice filling is completely valid and something that should have been better handled. Due to vendor delays, the ice maker couldn't be swapped out while you were with us -- I should have more properly communicated this to you when I saw you around properly. Also, the whole team should have anticipated your ice needs as it was a well-documented maintenance item.

Your comments on the operating hours of the grille are well received and will certainly be incorporated as we best develop a means for alternative dining options at the resort. Last year was the first year we had pushed the hours later, but we found that they were not well-received and failed to pick up traction with our guests. I hope that we can offer a better early-evening option to feed the kids before a parent's night out, as it is important to fill both needs.

I am glad that Marcio and Earth proved to be two highlights of your stay -- as we believe that diverse activities and an exceptional restaurant are two cornerstones of Hidden Pond. Matt has since read your review and appreciates the personal "shout out". He is a true professional and exceptionally skilled at his job. Thank you for acknowledging him.

As you mentioned, we are committed to reworking and tweaking our service offerings and amenities to best suit our guests needs and desires. I personally want Hidden Pond to be a place that you and your family can call a "home away from home" and I hope that we continue to be a vacation destination that is comfortable, welcoming and attentive to your needs. Please rest assured that your comments are not for naught and we will see to it that your future experiences are exemplary of the 5-star service that we aim to deliver and you came to love in 2012. I would love to be a part of your reservation process for 2014, so please feel free to contact me directly at 207-967-6504 or justin@hiddenpondmaine.com when the time comes.

Wishing you all an enjoyable and fun final few weeks of summer!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We spent three nights at Hidden Pond in July and we loved every minute of it. The bungalows were perfect. We loved waking up to our breakfast hanging on the door and having coffee on our screened porch. It was incredibly relaxing! We also took advantage of some of the offered activities with Marcio. We hiked, biked and paddle boarded and found him to be helpful, informative and fun. The staff at Hidden Pond was gracious and efficient. We enjoyed all the people we met, guests and staff alike. Our dinner at Earth was delicious, but you do need to book ahead.

It was nice to have use of The Tides Beach Club also. We would bike to beach from Hidden Pond and The Tides would provide us with towels, beach chairs and even a table. It made it easy to go to the beach, and what a beautiful beach it was!

Upon leaving, we were given a bag containing water, trail mix and even blueberry seeds so we could take a bit of Hidden Pond with us. Perfect! We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Kate P:

It is great to hear that you were able to relax and decompress at Hidden Pond. In today's busy world it's an incredibly important thing to do and I am glad that you chose our resort to do it! Our relationship with the Tides is such a great amenity -- they certainly make a beach outing seamless and easy. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Marcio. He's certainly a fun-loving guy with a passion for sports and fitness.

We believe in wishing our guests "happy trails" and feel that water and granola is the best way to do so! We look forward to welcoming you back to Hidden Pond for future stays in Kennebunkport.

Wishing you an endless summer..

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hidden Pond for four nights; two adults and two children in the two bedroomed house. House gorgeous, resort gorgeous - thats it !We are Four season lovers; in a busy life we want the best for our children and our selves in our holiday - thought this place would at least might their standards. At arrival we were told we could probably not get a reservation at Earth ! - they would try - but never came back with a reply.
In a place where you offer no room service, it should at least be possible for the guests of the resort to eat at the resorts restaurant. And the pool cafe only offer a couple of really boring and nothing-new-to them sandwiches.
A sweet detail to deliver breakfast at the house; first morning we got 4 mini quiches, two fruit salats and four pieces of cake. The next morning we got 4 pieces of cake, two mini quiches and 1 fruitsalat - who is not eating ? third morning we got 4 cake, 4 quiche and two fruitsalat with mold!!! we said it at the reception where the reply was; thank you for bringing that to my attention !!! - and then what - no replacement ???
And im sorry - but do you really eat cake for breakfast ? in an earlier review you say that there will be options in the future - what options were they ? some variation would at least have been nice, but ROTTEN food !!!
Since we couldnt get a table at the Earth and we are there with two children tired at different times, we stayed at the cottage and cocked ourselves - not really how we were supposed to spend a holliday - and because of that, it would have been nice to have the house cleaned every morning and not around 2.30 pm. And then i still had to chase the cleaner for new tea towel, filling up in the bathroom, fridge etc.
We were there during the heatwave and spend a lot of time around the pool. At no time whatsoever were we offered a drink. At no time is was busy there, - the staff was around, but they never attended. We helped ourselves and had to wait around for ice cubes and straws and sometimes just went back to the house for ice cubes as this was faster.
I can see in the reviews that this has been mentioned before, but the obviously didnt take it in to account.
When we checked out - no "thank you", "good bye" or "have a nice drive", just there you go !
I cannot believe people working in a service field have not been trained or cant be bothered to provide service. Perhaps you only provide service to selected families ?
There are others resorts of your kind of concept around he world - at a lot lower price, but with a service that matches 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KoldingBobo

Dear KoldingBobo:

Thank you for your review of Hidden Pond from your recent stay. I am apologetic that you felt as lack of appropriate service levels at the resort. We pride ourselves upon the service that we provide to our guests, so I am sorry that your experience was not indicative of this.

I apologize that you were unable to dine at Earth due to limited availability. We recommend advance dinner reservations at the time of booking and in all of our email correspondence/confirmations. We also offer room service and include a copy of the in-room dining menu in the check-in packet. I apologize that this feature was not highlighted to you by our staff.

At both pools we offer a daytime grill that offers a selection including Maine lobster rolls, flat breads, grill items, breakfast sandwiches and salads. I apologize that this offering did not appeal to you. We work hard during the off season to develop a menu that appeals to all -- both adults and children. I will most certainly take your feedback into consideration.

I am happy to address your concerns related to breakfast. First and foremost, based on your account of the situation there was a clear error and level of inconsistency in the delivery of your breakfast. It is unacceptable that certain members of your family were without sufficient amounts of food in the morning. We deliver the breakfast baskets around the 60 acres of our property, and it seems as though a basket delivery error must have been made. As for the fruit, your sentiment is exactly how mine would be after experiencing that type of response. It is unacceptable for staff to acknowledge a problem but fail to offer an explanation. I am sorry that this was your experience.

Many reviews have mentioned breakfast variety and offering -- and I offer a very similar response each time. Breakfast is a very personal meal period that is largely determined by individual preferences. The offering is a "morning bakery basket" so we feel it only right to offer a sweet pastry (a coffee cake varietal or sweet bread) and a savory (always vegetarian) quiche. Coffee cake is a classic breakfast pastry and pairs perfectly with coffee, so yes, I do feel as though cake is an appropriate offering. The fruit is a daily rotation, but for longer stays, there may be some overlap due to the limitation of "breakfast appropriate" fruit. Although the actual product/vehicle itself may not vary, the flavors and specific varieties will and always do. The bakery basket was designed and introduced as a morning treat -- a tasty bite of pastry and a pot of coffee. Over the years it has transformed slightly, but I believe strongly that this year present the best offering to date. Needless to say, I feel badly that you did not enjoy the offering and felt as though it feel short of your expectations. We want for your days to start on a positive note at Hidden Pond, and I apologize that the bakery basket derailed this a bit for you.

I apologize that housekeeping did not clean your cottage as preferred. We do our best to accommodate guests requested times for service and would have done our best to see to it that your room was cleaned at a more appropriate time for you. Housekeeping hours are from 9am to 3pm, so without advance notice, we ensure that rooms are cleaned at some point within that window. I understand that with younger children it is challenging to plan the day accordingly, so I apologize that the housekeeping team posed an inconvenience to you. Upon your return, I would be happy to arrange more specific times for your room service.

You're correct that pool service was mentioned in a previous review, as the guests felt as though it took too long for a drink and that the server felt frazzled. I read every review with a level of precision and do my absolute best to incorporate the feedback and criticism as much as I do the praise. We have already taken the necessary steps to improve our pool service and it seems as though we need to continue to push further and towards a higher level of excellence.

There are certainly other hotels and resorts similar, but I firmly believe that Hidden Pond is different and special. I apologize that your expectations were not met and that our service failed to entice you to thinking that we are a reputable resort. While I do not believe that your experience is that of the masses, I take full responsibility as the General Manager to see to it that these issues are resolved in a timely and efficient manner. Your review has and will continue to resonate with myself, as well as my staff, and we will continue to dig deeper and expect more from ourselves so that we may improve our service offering as a whole. I want to thank you for being forthcoming and candid about your vacation.

With that said, I do hope that the highlights and positive features will bring you back to Hidden Pond, as I would relish the chance to show you a more positive experience and prove that our resort is not defined by the shortcomings that you witnessed in July. I would be more than pleased to speak with you about any of the above factors in further detail or to personally assist you in planning your future visit to Hidden Pond. My direct contact is 207-967-6504 and my email is justin@hiddenpondmaine.com.

I hope that you enjoy the remainder of your summer and sincerely hope that your next trip to Kennebunkport brings you back to Hidden Pond.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is our second year at Hidden Pond and I can't believe it is better than last year!
The service is EXCEPTIONAL and they attend to every detail even the ones you didn't know needed attending.Our bungalow room was gorgeous and the outdoor shower with the trees and the sky and the sounds of nature is like your own little zen space. FRESH juice in the fridge...yogurts tucked in the fridge-OUTSTANDING GRANOLA ...and they " remembered" that I like hard boiled eggs so there were four waiting for me upon arrival.

We were welcomed back with smiles and hugs yummy perfect hot breakfast deliveries in the morning and......... falling into bed after a long day" chillin" at the beach was divine. The beach at the Tides is SPECTACULAR and the staff set up chairs serve lunch, water, bring towels and whatever you need. One staff member went so far as to help us get a pizza delivered when we opted to hang out later than expected ( AND we had eaten everything on the Tides menu for lunch!)

We are already planning for next year and hope to stay longer .

Dear gottchagirl:

We're thrilled that you came back for a second year! It's nice to know that the service our staff provides is one of the main reasons for your patronage.

We feel that it's important to start the day on the "right foot" and we believe that our bakery basket and morning treats do their part in paving that way. I will personally let Matt, our baker, know that you love his granola! It's actually super easy to make, I'd be happy to email you the recipe if you'd like.

We look forward for your return and would certainly welcome you for a longer stay. I hope that you enjoy the remainder of the summer and wish you safe and fun travels in the meantime!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just stayed 3 nights in one of the beautiful bungalows at Hidden Pond. What a place! The accommodations are luxurious, but in an understated way, the grounds are lovely, peaceful and well-maintained, the facilities (pools, spa, etc) are top notch, and the staff members are unfailingly helpful and friendly - high touch service but delivered in a low-key way.

One of the best parts about Hidden Pond (and there are many!!) is the relationship with its sister property, Tides Beach Club. Each morning, after enjoying the delicious breakfast basket delivered to our bungalow and a yoga class in the garden, we'd take the complimentary car service one mile down the road to TBC, which is right on beautiful Goose Rocks Beach, and spend the day there. The restaurant is fantastic - we had lunch there all 4 days!

Hidden Pond also has a fabulous restaurant on site, Earth, which we enjoyed twice during our stay, both times eating outside near the pool. Could not have been better!

The best way I can sum up this spectacular property is: when we filled out the comment card and were asked what we could suggest for improvement, the best we could come up with was "more granola, please"!

Room Tip: Staying in a bungalow close to Earth and the spa was nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear maxira:

The title of your review is most flattering -- thank you! We've worked very hard to create a world-class environment and guest experience that is unlike other resorts -- we work to maintain this environment each and every day. You seem to have us figured out, as we focus on a balance between a sense of luxury and simple pleasures -- this is both in our accommodations and service delivery.

It sounds as though you were treated to some excellent culinary experiences, both at Earth and by the beach. The relationship that we have with the Tides Beach Club is very special and allows us the ability to share the coast and forest with our guests. I'm glad that you enjoyed this feature.

I hope to personally welcome you back in the future and we'll be sure to stock you with more granola! Thank you for kind words and support of Hidden Pond.

Justin Grimes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#8 of 25 in Kennebunkport
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Hidden Pond? Share your experiences!