“Rustic Romance” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 26 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Denver, CO
“Rustic Romance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We spent the 4th of July at Hidden Pond and fell in love with everything about it.

Stayed in a standard 1 bedroom "cabin" and couldnt have asked for anything more. Loved, lounging in the screened in porch reading a book, the outdoor shower was wonderful, and everything else about the room was just perfect. Enjoyed the breakfast delivery each morning and stayed in for room service dinner in our robes by the fire one night. Dinner at Earth was off the charts and not to be missed. We took advantage of the communal bikes and rode down to the beach and all around town. On top of the facilities and surroundings being perfect, the staff was every bit the equal. Exceptional, genuine service every step of the way.

Originally would've preferred to be closer to the beach (it's about a mile away), but given that the water is likely never warm enough to really be in the location ended up being perfect. Tucked away in the woods, it was so quiet and serene.

Can't wait to return, this is a perfect getaway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear COTraveler81:

Thank you for sharing your review with us and for spending your Fourth of July here at Hidden Pond. July is a beautiful time to be in Maine -- plenty of things to do coupled with fantastic weather.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our location. Like you said, although we aren't directly on the beach, a short bike ride or car ride will have you there in no time! We really feel that Hidden Pond offers the best of both worlds.

We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy more of life's simple pleasures, great service and beautiful surroundings.

Justin Grimes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This resort is the ultimate place to relax and unwind. The cottages are beautiful and very comfortable. My husband and I had a relaxing weekend away from our baby and enjoyed reading by the fireplaces. The bikes for excursions that are available on site are great and it's an easy ride to the beach. Also, the smores by the fire with cocktails are a perfect way to end the evening.

We also had an amazing dinner at Earth- their onsite restaurant. We ate in their private dining shed and it was a very memorable experience and the food was delicious.

This is our 2nd year staying at Hidden Pond and it definitely will not be our last!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear LilacLady:

We're very pleased that you joined us for a second season, and I hope to welcome you back to our resort for years to come!

It is always nice to get away for some R&R -- I'm glad that you chose Hidden Pond as your retreat. The fires in the bungalow are one of our guests' favorite features...the warmth and atmosphere that they provide in the Fall is unrivaled. To make it even better, you topped it off with s'mores around the real fire! Now that we're closed, I am having s'more withdrawal myself!

Thank you for spending your autumn vacation with us -- please reach out to me directly if I can assist in any way with your future stays. Happy holidays!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Hiddenpond is a very special and beautiful place. The cottages are beautifully designed and it feels like you have your own little vacation cottage in Maine. The service was outstanding. We swam in the heated pool even though it was quite cool outside. It was really fun. There are so many nice touches to this place. I look forward to going back in the spring when it reopens. Our cabin was Morning Glory and I can highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear sfbarb:

Thank you for sharing your review and the beautiful photos that you took during your time with us in Kennebunkport! Between the mums, the hay and the light tint on the leaves, your photos speak to the "quintessentially Fall" look of Maine in September. What's more impressive is that you swam in the pool, on what was a slightly chilly day! We keep the pools the 80 degrees through the entire season, which is nice, but we've found that getting out can be the challenge!

It sounds as though "fun" was the most telling word of your experience at Hidden Pond, and I am proud that our hotel and staff were able to contribute to this. Everyone deserves to have fun!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the Spring or whenever your schedule allows next season. If I can be of any assistance as you re-book, please to not hesitate to reach out to me directly. My email is justin@hiddenpondmaine.com and I can also be reached at 207-967-9050 (even throughout the offseason).

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Being low season, mid-week and one of the most peaceful settings amid the blazing autumn colours, it was the perfect retreat for my two friends and I to enjoy during a greatly needed mini break from the realities of motherhood! (Even though we all agreed that it would also be wonderful place to bring the whole family in the summer). The cottage was comfortable bright and happy- thoughtfully decorated with the kinds of touches that make you feel like you might actually own it. The beds were SO comfortable. The outdoor shower was fantastic especially on a cool crisp morning. The wrap around veranda was charming. The restaurant Earth was to die for and the spa treatments were tops. Readily available vintage bikes came in handy when I was in a "hurry" to get from my water colour lesson with the resident artist to my glorious foot massage. Everything about this place was 5 star yet it maintains the low key relaxed feeling that you want when you go to Maine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Becky M:

Thank you for being selfless and sharing the experiences from your great getaway weekend with us! I kid, but your sentiment is certainly well received -- many guests feel as though they want to keep Hidden Pond to themselves. I assure you that we will work tirelessly towards preserving everything that you came to love about the hotel -- I like to think of us as ambassadors who maintain the "tucked away" feeling of our relaxing and beautiful enclave.

The items that you highlighted are so central to the vision and success of Hidden Pond, and as you can imagine, it can be a delicate balance to cultivate a feeling of luxury amidst the naturally rustic backdrop of Maine. At the end of the day, we are thankful for Maine's inherent beauty and we continuously work to match the level of aesthetic features with our amenities and service offerings.

I am glad that you and your friends appreciated all that Hidden Pond has to offer. I hope to welcome you all back to Maine for another relaxing and fulfilling vacation.

Istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in Hidden Pond with our 4 year old son, during our trip to Maine in late October 2012. It is not a hotel, it is a collection of lovely bungalows in a forest with its own little pond and two heated pools. What we loved about the place: 1) Extremely peaceful and quiet: When you look out from your porch/windows all you see is woods, and the playful rays of sun shining on the orange foliage. Of course you have your neighbor bungalows nearby and may have to close one or two shades. 2) Sizeable room and tasteful decoration: The room is one big rectangle with a kitchenette/bookcase, a sofa group around a fire place and a four poster bed. The showers and toilets are at the back so all the mess is away from the eyes. We loved turning on the gas fireplace early in the morning when it was very chilly outside, sitting around it and reading our newspapers and enjoying our breakfast. The room has earthy colors with original decorative items and vintage woods pieces. 3) Nature: You are in the middle of the woods. Fresh air, beautiful scenery. We were there during foliage so it was a perfect choice for the time. You are minutes away from the coast so by staying here you can get the best of both worlds during the fall season. 4) The free bicycles to explore around, the bonfire and smores offered every nite near the reception, the coffee machine with fresh ground coffee, the goody bag with nuts and blueberry seeds to plant... However, there were a few things that we did not like, and may be worth checking with the reception before you go: 1) We stayed at bungalow 46 near the adults pool. The water in our kitchenette and showers smelled like rotten eggs. It was so bad that our son refused to take a shower. The management said they were aware of this and trying to fix it, and having same kind of complaints from other bungalows too. 2) Hidden Pond is secluded, meaning you have to drive around 15 mins to get to the main street in Kennebunkport. One of the reasons I booked there willingly is that they have a very well known restaurant called Earth. I thought we could eat there without having to drive at nite with our toddler. Well the restaurant was closed during our stay and they did not mention it during reservation. I was very upset, because they dont have any other proper room service. If you want to eat in, they order it from their sister property Tides, which is another 10-12 minutes car ride! 3) Breakfast in the room: Which is ok, as the room is very nice however no dining table in the room so you have to have your breakfast on the coffee table. Plus the breakfast is very limited, a very sugary cake, a plum... We had to ask for a boiled egg for our son, which the lady at the reception was not pleased about but supplied. We went out and bought some cereal and bread from a grocery store to complete our breakfast. So if you are keen on having a hearty breakfast leisurely on your holiday, this breakfast is more like grab and go on a work day. 4) The service at the bonfire. That night we were the only guests at the bonfire. I had to go and look for someone to serve us 3 times. Finally found the guy. We asked for hot chocolate for my son and cognac for ourselves. He asked whether we want the cognac on the ice! Surely had no idea of how to serve drinks. And the hot chocolate was just cocoa powder in hot water, which tasted horrible.. The smores were nice, and the setting was magical so we stiil had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Bungalows near the pond has a lovely view the little pond and the forest
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ceynoo
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear ceynoo:

It makes me happy to know that you enjoyed your Maine visit with us at Hidden Pond most recently -- especially to know that you have traveled so far to do so. Our region during the Fall season is outrageously beautiful -- the crisp air and colorful leaves are very special features of Maine and I am glad that you had the opportunity to experience this.

The bungalows were designed just as you mentioned, to offer all of the necessary comforts with an open floor plan, but one that also offers privacy and livability. The goal of creating a peaceful atmosphere around the property was a supreme focus when Hidden Pond was designed. We sit on 65-acres and although that can be thought of as a large space, the accommodations and buildings were constructed so that around every corner there is a quiet and serene escape. The beach cruisers are one of the best ways to explore our land and nearby areas.

I want to apologize for the items that you felt were shortcomings of the resort. On vacation you should not have to worry about many of the areas of opportunity that you mentioned, so I am sorry that this was the case. We are addressing the water smell during the off season, which we are currently in. We are on a well system, as most are in Maine, so I apologize that this smell appeared was a nuisance in your unit.

The restaurant being closed should have been properly communicated to you during the reservation process, so I am sorry that this was not the case. The Tides Beach Club, which is one mile down the street, is a fantastic alternative, however I agree that is must have been disappointing to not have the opportunity to enjoy Earth. We should have better prepared you when you made the reservation -- we take full responsibility for that.

The breakfast basket was designed to be a morning treat, something sweet or savory with a thermos of coffee and the New York Times. As we have grown we've worked to incorporate a more balanced offering by offering fresh fruit and yogurt -- but we are seeing that this is still not satisfying all needs. We believe we have found the best resolution to breakfast which will be introduced during the 2013 season (we are now closed until May).

Based on your experience at the bonfire, it seems as though we have an area of opportunity for drink service. Thank you for recognizing this as it shows a need to develop our front desk staff by use of cross-training.

I am glad that the setting and the atmosphere allowed you to thoroughly enjoy your time, and I can confidently say that we will work to improve the weaker items that you mentioned. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that you may witness what you would see as an improved offering here at Hidden Pond. If you have any additional feedback, please feel free to email me at justin@hiddenpondmaine.com or call me at 207-967-9050. I would welcome the opportunity to hear more.

Sag Harbor, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We loved every minute of our stay here. It was our honeymoon and we were on cloud 9 to begin with but this place really was outstanding. When we arrived, there was a welcome basket that congratulated us on our honeymoon - so thoughtful! Dinner at Earth was delicious. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. The bungalows are gorgeous and all individually decorated so I believe no two are alike. The Tree Spa was fabulous! SO relaxing. It's more expensive than most but I have to say that it's completely worth it. Top notch service. We will return every year! Nothing negative to post at all!

Dear writeacat:

Thank you for choosing to enjoy your honeymoon with us at Hidden Pond. With so many outstanding options between here and Long Island, it makes us proud to know that you joined us in Maine. We aim to offer services and amenities that match the price tag -- I am glad that you were able to enjoy our offerings and touches of fine service.

Wishing you both all of the best and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hidden Pond for anniversaries and family vacations for years to come! I would be happy to assist with you with any travel needs as you plan future visits. I can be reached by telephone at 207-967-9050 or email at justin@hiddenpondmaine.com.

Cheers!

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The property is really a collection of upscale "bungalows" that are tucked away in the woods outside of Kennebunkport. But, from your bungalow, you wouldn't know--or care--where you are. The bungalows have the space, the amenities and all the comforts of a five-star resort. If you want to wander outside (don't know why you would) there is a pool, restaurant and outside fire pit(s)--complete with blankets. The bedding is wonderful and the morning breakfast that is left at your doorstep is just right.

1 Thank mickey91
Dear mickey91:

We appreciate your high praise and kind words regarding your recent stay with us at Hidden Pond. We work continuously to offer a resort experience where, like you said, our guests will never want to leave. It gives us great assurance to hear you say that you found all of the comforts you would want here at Hidden Pond. With your mention of the fire pits, I hope you were able to roast a s'more while you were with us!

I hope to welcome you back to Hidden Pond -- feel free to reach out to me directly if I can assist with your future travel plans in any way.

Justin Grimes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#14 of 26 in Kennebunkport
The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel
The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel
#8 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Hidden Pond? Share your experiences!