All reviews starbucks coffee choice hotels efficiency suite pet fee econo lodge outdoor pool first floor continental breakfast main road very nice hotel waffles bathroom sink comfortable beds front desk staff would definitely stay here again minute drive excellent stay
Selected filters
Reviewed August 17, 2016 via mobile

Our room at the Port Inn was a great value, spacious and well decorated. The bathroom was on the small side, but had a separate tub/shower/toilet and sink area. To the side of the sink were three large recessed shelves for toiletries - something lacking in many hotel rooms. A microwave and refrigerator added to the value of the room. We were initially drawn to the Port Inn by the excellent reviews and attractive cost, compared to other similar accommodations. This place exceeded our expectations in every way. The staff was welcoming and professional. The pool and grounds were well maintained. Very pleased with this find.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2016

My girlfriend and I have made the Port Inn our summer vacation spot for four summers in a row. After seeing its progression over time, the Inn is just as clean and well maintained it was during our first stay in the year of its opening. Rooms are nicely equipped with modern appliances, fixtures and flat screen TVs. Beds are comfortable but not overly remarkable. Most importantly, everything is clean and well maintained (A great accomplishment especially for a place that is dog friendly.)The outdoor pool and grounds are well landscaped and pleasant to the eye. Continental breakfast is repetitive but offers a nice selection including Belgium waffles, tasty (premade) omelets and sausage combined with the usual array of fruit, cereals and danishes. A true standout with mentioning is the service. Every staff member i have dealt with has been welcoming, upbeat and done all they could to be helpful. Personal recommendation: Spend the extra $20 for the efficiency room, The extra space, larger TV and full modern kitchen suite (including a dishwasher!) is fully worth it!

Room tip: Efficiency Rooms Are a Worthwhile Upgrade
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
PortInnNH, General Manager at Port Inn Kennebunk, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2016

Dear Rob W

Thank you for the great review.

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed everything during your stay and that this is your 4th year! We love to hear from our regular customers. Thank you for the comments about our customer service. Our staff love what they do and we enjoy helping our guests get the most out of their vacation here in the Kennebunks.

We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed August 11, 2016

We were very happy staying at Port Inn. The rooms are big and clean and the beds were very comfortable. The price is affordable, and we appreciated the breakfast and heated pool. We were so happy to find a hotel that was pet friendly and close to so many attractions, such as the dog park and Gooches Beach. The staff was very friendly too. We wouldn't hesitate coming back:)

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2016

We usually stay somewhere else in the Kennebunkport area, but decided to visit last-minute and had to find somewhere new with availability. I was surprised at how nice the rooms here are- clean, modern, functional, comfortable. The three things I was disappointed by were: the breakfast, the lack of eco-friendliness, and the noise.

We were on the first floor near the road (the inn is located along a major road) and could hear trucks and motorcycles going by through the night despite our fan being on.

The breakfast was pretty pathetic. The choices were all unhealthy and unappetizing (basically just cheap pastries and microwaved bacon and eggs). I was shocked that a place in Maine in the middle of summer couldn't have fresh blueberries and decent yogurt. The breakfast experience both mornings was also just overall unpleasant. There's not enough seating for the guests, so people in there were frantic trying to find seating and shoving each other at the buffet.

My biggest irritation came from the hotel's lack of eco-friendliness despite being an "eco friendly" hotel. Now, I'm not a major tree-hugger, but I like to do my part to not be wasteful. I was appalled at how wasteful the breakfast was- everything is served with disposable forks, cups, cutlery (all individually wrapped in plastic- why?). You can't even drink your coffee out of a mug if you want to. It seems like it would be much more cost effective and green for them to just put out glasses, ceramic plates, and silverware. I was also disappointed by the false-advertising in the rooms themselves. They leave a note in the bathroom that you can hang your towels on the rack to re-use them to "help save our resources." Being a normal human, I'm totally okay with using a towel more than once, so I hung mine on the rack. Despite doing this, all my towels were changed. Also, I purposely turned off all the lights and the AC when I left each day as to not senselessly waste electricity, but the lights and AC were left on by the maid when I got back to my room each day.

Other than that, the location is pretty good and allows you to easily access major attractions nearby. I also liked that they provided me with a parking permit to park at the major beach, which made beach trips much easier. Overall, the rooms themselves are nice, but the place could be much better with some minor changes.

Room tip: Top floor and far from the road is probably best
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Liz G,

Thank you for the review.

We are delighted to see that, overall, you enjoyed our hotel and your room but disappointed that you felt that our sustainability practices are lacking.
Although we can and should continually work to reduce our footprint, we have done much. We have been composting our waste for over a year, we recycle, our plates are made from recycled material and are compostable, and we are generally conscious of waste. It sounds like we made a mistake laundering your towels, and thank you for pointing that out- we have reoriented the staff. However, the air conditioner is connected to an energy management system that senses the occupancy of the room before cooling beyond it’s preset level, so there is no waste of energy with our system. Also, our lights are highly efficient LED lights.
We are increasing our choices for breakfast to include some more healthy options like organic granola and Greek yogurt. We currently offer a variety of fresh fruit but we really like your idea of offering Maine blueberries! We have introduced a selection of gluten free baked goods and almond milk for a dairy free option.
Admittedly, when we have a major rush at breakfast, seating can be tight, but we have additional seating on our outdoor deck right behind the dining room.

We thank you for your comments about our services like the beach parking permits. We also offer beach towels and chairs and hope to have bicycles in place for next summer. Our staff are very knowledgeable about the area and love to assist our guests with information on what to do and where to go.

We do hope that you will choose the Port Inn when you next return to the Kennebunks.

Reviewed August 6, 2016 via mobile

We had a very nice stay at the port inn. It's very clean and comfortable. Rooms had everything we needed. It's a drive to get anywhere but worth it for the price. We went to the Maine Diner for breakfast a couple of days but the Port Inn has a nice little breakfast room with coffee juice pastries and some eggs and sausage. We'd go Bach if traveling with our pup.

Trip type: Traveled with family