“Just want to come back!”

Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Kennebunk
Milan, Italy
Reviewed May 6, 2006

I went to Breakwater Inn hotel with my husband just for a night, as we were travelling through the USA on vacation. I have to say it's the best hotel I've ever been in the United States. We really enjoy the dinner, the food was delicious...I still dream about Tuna Tartar!! It was great!!!
I also have to say that the service was great, the waiter who served us was really kind. Our room was beautiful and clean, we had Jacuzzi and it was so relaxing!
Well, I'm looking forward to have the chance to come back in Kennebunkport, next time we are sure we'll stay more and enjoy Breakwater Inn again!!

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed April 27, 2006

The White Barn Inn is everything that it is made out to be. We came to the "Barn" on a dinner package that included dinner in the restaurant. Upon arrival they upgraded us to a Junior Suite-we didnt even ask for the upgrade. The room had fresh flowers and fruit. It was beautiful. Our dinner in the restaurant was fabulous. We hope to return again.
We also found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. It was a charming visit in a charming town. Thanks again Karen Coakley

Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lenoxdale Mass
Reviewed April 23, 2006

My wife and I take it in turns to plan a surprise anniversary and we have just returned from staying at the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport Maine, which she arranged and by far the most amazing of our anniversaries so far.
She would not tell me where we were headed, but when we pulled up at the inn, as soon as she mentioned our name, they seemed to know it was a surprise and all the details that my wife had made.
Everyone we passed on the tour welcomed us, most by name and by the time we got to our room, the luggage was already there and the fire lit! We stayed in "Lilac" and they offered to bring us afternoon tea over, so how could we refuse!
My wife had ordered a bath drawn by the staff and they came in with all the amenities and candles on a tray, ran the bath with special soaps and rose petals, lit the candles, set out our robes and slippers and put 2 glasses of champagne by the bath. It was a great way to start off the evening and my wife was so pleased with what she had organised because it was great fun and set the tone for an amazing evening.
The restaurant is truly unique, set in a converted barn with a large window filled with all sorts of spring flowers. The waiters were immaculately dressed, but yet warm and knowlegeable, without being stuffy as in some good restaurants. They just seemed to be coming from everywhere with new courses, different tastes, all coreographed from some unseen dias. Don't miss the lobster with the coral butter sause, but it not fair to single out any one dish or any one part of the evening and it made for an unforgetable experience.
When we got back into our room, not only had they kept the fire going, but they had left a copy of the menu with our names and anniversary date on trhe pillow when they turned down the bed.
I am not sure what I am going to do next year to surprise my wife, other than asking the staff at the White Barn Inn to organise something somewhere for me, but I know that it will have to be very special to surpass this!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2006

I recently returned from a weekend stay at the White Barn Inn. We stayed in the Loon Cottage which was about 1750 sq feet 2bed/2bath cottage with plasma televisions in all living areas and hardwood floors. It has views of the water, although at this time of year it is frozen over. Additionally, a barge has just moved in which took away from the views. Given the time of year there wasn't as much to do and it was very cold so we stayed in and just relaxed. We went to nearby Grissini Restaurant, owned by the Inn, and the food was slightly above average. The next evening we went to the Inn for dinner and the setting is beautiful. Also, the service is excellent, however, the food was above average and not mind blowing. I actually expected more from the restaurant. The manager of the property is a very pleasant personable gentleman that tries to accomodate any specific wishes you may have. All in all it is worth going to once-more so in the summer. I do think it is very expensive for what it offers. Don't take directions from mapquest which is on the White Barn Inn website--it will get you lost.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank Sandeep G
Reviewed February 15, 2006

The following is an excerpt from an email I sent to Anita Taggersell, of the White Barn Inn, the Monday following a fabulous dinner party held at the White Barn on the previous Saturday night, in celebration of my husband's 70th birthday. Albeit mere words could never adequately convey the White Barn's incomparable ability to provide such an extradordinary evening, the email below was my attempt to do just that.

January 30, 2006

Good Morning Anita,

Well, I don't know where to begin. I honestly don't. Saturday night was so spectacular that no words could ever describe it to you. I know you are very familiar with the special magic worked at the White Barn, but it puts the rest of the universe in awe.

Everything was totally fabulous: the room looked so elegant; the table festive-- with your beautiful linens and dishes and the way the favors, place cards and flowers were all arranged; Trevor and his lovely companion, with the most wonderful South African accent, were omnipresent catering to our every whim, providing service beyond compare; the entire staff at the White Barn is exceptional; the food, well, I possess no superlative to do it justice, perhaps there should be a 6 star category; the wine and cocktails were excellent; and finally the cake--what a grand and wonderful cake, it was exactly the effect for which I had hoped. THEN the chef actually came downstairs and chatted with us. Everyone was thrilled to meet him and have a chance to exchange a few words. It was like the Gods had come down from Mt. Olympus to chit chat with the mere mortals. We were all on Cloud Nine.

My husband was totally thrilled. I could just tell how pleased he was with everything as I watched him at the other end of the table basking in the limelight and thoroughly enjoying the celebration of his 70th year. I cannot thank you enough for making his special birthday the quintessential event by which all others could only pale.

Working with you was a pleasure and so much fun. Hopefully, we'll get to do it again. The group is already teasing me about ''when'' am i going to repeat this performance. I'd say they all truly had a great time! Anita, you outdid yourself, and once more from the bottom of my heart, thank you for all your efforts, guidance and patience.

Fran Spechts
Ogunquit, Maine

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank Largecarrotmama
Reviewed January 31, 2006

The White Barn Inn is beyond exceptional! My boyfriend took me for dinner - a surprise. From the moment the valet opened my car door, I was enchanted. When we stepped out of the car and walked up the stairs to the front door, we were surrounded by trees covered in white lights. The scene was magical, and a harbinger of good things to come inside the restaurant. We have both dined at top establishments, but The White Barn Inn earns our "best of the best" award.

Atmosphere: The barn is cozy and romantic, and lit almost exclusively by candles on tables and the sparkle of white light-covered trees through the barn's back picture window.

Food: To die for! The portions served were ideal as well, and didn't leave us feeling too full for the next course. We loved it all - our first course (my truffle crusted scallops melted in my mouth), our intermezzo course (the parmesan mousse was exquisite, and the blood orange sorbet was wonderful), our main course (the famous lobster is absolutely incredible!), and our desserts (dark chocolate cake and pomegranite souffle). We had the wine pairing, which we agreed was an excellent choice - our wines complemented our food perfectly.

Accommodations: After our dinner, we didn't want to leave, so we stayed overnight in a junior suite. We were amazed and enchanted by the whirlpool tub, king-sized bed with duvet and featherbed, and cozy chairs by the fireplace, which we kept going into the night and all the next morning. We had breakfast delivered to our room. The "continental" breakfast far surpassed our expectations - the quiche was heaven and the homemade breads, muffins, and croissants were spectacular!

Service: Top-notch. We are fairly certain we had our own server during dinner, as well as a team of staff serving each course. The staff treated us very well, catering to our every need. When we needed several items for our surprise stay overnight, the evening desk person ensured that we had everything we needed - or sent someone to find it. It was absolutely amazing - we felt like royalty.

We will definitely be back to The White Barn Inn. It stands out for us a truly magical experience.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank happywanderer30
Reviewed November 17, 2005

It is a wonderful thing when a destination exceeds expectations especially when te expectations are of the highest sort.

Know for having a great restaurant-it was one of the finest dinners ever.

Know for comfortable rooms-it was wonderful

Know for its service-the staff was great.

Add to this a beautiful location and it ends up being a perfect spot

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank jameslfoley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
The Tides Beach Club
The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Grace White Barn Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!