“Amazing Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Kennebunk
Boston
“Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Wow - what a great getaway - I would highly recommend this hotel.

The rooms are very thoughtfully decorated and feature high quality linens, fixtures, bedding, bath amenities. The staff are beyond 5 star - when you walk in there were 3 staff members waiting to greet you! They even cleaned off our car when we were departing from our stay as it had been snowing out.

The restaurant was amazing - I really can't even describe it - there were 7+ courses and it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

This hotel is very expensive but for a special occasion I would definitely suggest you splurge and enjoy the White Barn Inn!

2 Thank Njenk58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

Very unhappy with our stay. We were forewarned the room was small, and that was fine since we booked quite late. That said, what was not fine:
1. Extremely noisy, smelly, cheap window air-conditioning unit
2. 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the corridor on the 3rd floor as hundreds of watts of lighting was left on all night even after we complained
3. Room door not closing tightly, bright lights from the corridor were illuminating the room at night...
4. Shower head improperly installed, spraying water all over the place, still not quite fixed after repair guy came
Yes the inn is overall attractive, quality linens you'd expect, a great outdoor pool area, decent food and drinks, nice afternoon tea service in the lobby, but that's expected given the high price. Will unfortunately not return and would not recommend to anyone used to Relais & Chateaux standards.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank el_cato
WBIInnkeeper, General Manager at White Barn Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear el_cato,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay with us in August 2010. I sincerely regret that your experience failed to live up to your expectations of our Inn. Feedback and comments from our guests are important tools in our mission to exceed every guest's expectations.

As part of our effort to provide the finest facilities for our guests, our Main Inn has undergone a recent and extensive renovation. Everything is fresh and new apart from decorative antiques. As one would expect, we do have air conditioning throughout the hotel. The hallways might be slightly warmer than the temperature in our guest rooms due to the individual preferences of our guests.

Again, please accept my apologies for failing to exceed your expectations and I hope that we may enjoy the opportunity to have you visit us in the future so that we may favorably restore your impression of our Inn. Our beautiful White Barn Inn offers a wide variety of room categories and styles and I am confident that if, given the opportunity, we will be able to provide an exceptional experience of unquestioned value.

I would very much like work with you personally on a return visit. To facilitate this I will post my contact information here, so that should you wish to, you may contact me directly.

Corinne Finn-Heyl
manager@whitebarninn.com

Corinne Finn-Heyl

Innkeeper
Salem, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

Five day splurge, two nights in Kennebunkport and two nights in Camden. White Barn Inn was wonderful, service was a little stiff and reserved. Rooms looked a bit dated and breakfast was not included. We had an amazing dinner at the inn and will most certainly come back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

Our stay at White Barn was exceptional. We had 3 staff members ask if they could help with our bags before we even got to the front door from the parking lot. The room in the main house was gorgeous--not overdone--and with a stunning bathroom. Our dinner did not dissappoint, including the fantastic lobster roles and perfectly cooked cod. We got the fiexed menu with the wine option, and the selections were well chosen and presented. Bravo!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
boston, ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

My husband and I were SO looking forward to a quiet weekend in Maine. Considering that we were visiting in the winter, the room at the White Barn Inn was a big part of our trip. We had hoped it would be relaxing. It was SO noisy in our room. I kept thinking that the banging and dragging sounds from upstairs had to stop soon, that they couldn't go on forever. But they went on from 9pm to 1am, then started up again in the early morning, waking us up. It was truly terrible. We live in a 100 year old wooden apartment building in the Boston area so we KNOW noise. For people like us to be writing about noise means something! I understand that the White Barn is also an old wooden building, and I could tell that things had been done to cut down on noise (wall to wall carpet, padding and who knows what else). It was just way too noisy for the price, it made our trip so much less relaxing and so disappointing. My memory from the trip is the constantly wondering what could possibly be going on upstairs. I was looking around our room wondering what they could be dropping on the floor. Suitcases full of clothes? I wanted, over and over again, to call the management but I just didn't see what they could do for us. I don't even know what to say other than this. I would suggest avoiding the White Barn Inn rooms completely, stay elsewhere and then eat at the White Barn Restaurant. That was fantastic.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
WBIGM, General Manager at White Barn Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are very appreciative of all correspondence and guest feedback, as it helps us to become even better at what we do.
Thank you for the kind words about the restaurant. Please know that they will be shared with the team.
Most importantly, I would like to apologize for your interrupted night’s sleep. I am very sorry that we were not aware of the problem while you were with us. We have a number of different room types and locations that may have been suitable alternatives.
Due to the anonymous nature of Trip Advisor posts, I have only a limited way in which I may reach out to you. I would very much like to try and positively restore your impression of our rooms the next time that you visit our restaurant, so I will post my contact information here, so that should you wish to, you may contact me directly.
Stuart E. Barwise
gm@whitebarninn.com
Derry, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

dining.....took two hours to retain taste , small black unidentifiable objects in drinks, broken glassware and china...
service...one server could not understand english, got order wrong, we had to wait and food was cold....on top of that he wrote up the bill incorrectly and wanted me to sign for the error and told us he would correct it later.
room.....small, uncomfotable, cold and tv was small and we could not comfotably watch from bed.
overall service....some customers were treated differently from others...very obvious and uncomfortable

3 Thank TAchiefadvisor
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow me to begin by apologizing for failing to exceed your expectations, as that is our objective with each and every guest.
The vast majority of our guests enjoy a high quality and memorable experience. While problems do not occur often, we have found that when we are made aware of a disappointment during a stay that we are always able to respond in a manner that exceeds our guests expectations. I regret that we did not have this opportunity during your stay.
Due to the anonymous nature of Trip Advisor posts, I have only a limited way in which I may reach out to you. I would very much like to try and positively restore your impression of our Inn and restaurant, so I will post my contact information here, so that should you wish to, you may contact me directly.
Stuart E. Barwise
gm@whitebarninn.com
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed at the White Barn Inn for one night in mid-October, hoping for some great foliage. Unfortunately a quick storm had brought an end to the peak, but that was fine by us to enjoy the inn instead. We stayed in the Blue Room, which was fantastic. Some high points of the accomodations were the wood-burning fireplace (a rarety for hotels now), great soaking tub, and a most comfortable bed. I had some business issues to attend to while staying, which the reception staff handled with ease (mailing, faxing, receiving, etc) and allowed me to enjoy the time. The sitting room in the main building was nice in the afternoon on a rainy day. Breakfast was perfect as well, just the right amount of options on the buffet for a simple breakfast, great coffee and fresh juices. I will definetely be staying again. The area is bustling in the summer and fall, I think I'll go for a winter weekend and hide in the Blue Room for a while.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wholemilk85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
The Grand Hotel
#3 of 26 in Kennebunkport
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#13 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to White Barn Inn? Share your experiences!