“Deserves Every Superlative!”

Bufflehead Cove Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Would you like a waterfront view on a peaceful cove? Do you want a lovely shingle home? How about help with your luggage? Warm and caring hospitality? A beautiful room that is immaculate and everything works like new? An evening wine and cheese reception? A tasty breakfast enjoyed with other guests? The Bufflehead Cove in has it all!

This is where you want to be in Kennebunkport. The only reason I can think of for staying somewhere else is if you want to be in the center of town or you don't want to stay in a B&B. This inn has earned all its excellent reviews. We stayed in the Cove room which was great. I got a peak at the Balcony room which is breathtaking.

I have to think of a reason to visit the Kennebunkport area so I can stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank ihopeihelped

Reviewed September 29, 2008

Please do not let life pass you by without a stay at this beautiful inn! The dedication of the Gott family is overwhelming as we indulged in our second stay here. By indulge, I am referring to the treatment you receive the moment you drive down the beatiful tree-lined lane to the unfortunate moment you need to depart. The comfort level is limitless, and I have personally never seen such attention to detail in comparison to other inns we have stayed at. From the lovely social hour with complimentary wine and cheese, to turndown service with decadent chocolates, and coffee delivered to your door each morning. Harriet, Jim, and Erin cannot do enough for their guests at their beautiful home, I feel truly fortunate that they open their doors to everyone and delight in sharing with each and every guest. Jim's breakfasts are amazing, and not to be missed! Harriet, you are the ultimate hostess, you do what you do so darn well! Erin is a testament to his parents love and dedication, for all these reasons (and there are so many personal touches, too many to mention) we will continue to return year after year.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank honest reviewer
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We are a family of three who stayed in the Riverside Cottage for 10 nights. The whole property is expertly managed as well as being extremely comfortable. Absolutely no question of recommending a stay at this idyllic inn, set in its own well established and mature grounds on the bank of the Kennebunk river estuary. This family run operation is a credit to the US tourism industry.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Wil2511
Reviewed August 27, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at Bufflehead for 2 nights. It was our first time in Maine, so we were thrilled that the inn was exactly what we'd hoped for. We stayed in the River Room, the smallest at the inn, but it was perfect. The bed was very comfortable, and while the bathroom is on the tiny side, my husband (he's 6'3" and built like a football played) and I had no complaints. Harriet and Erin were on site several times while we were there, and were extremely welcoming and friendly--Erin greeted us when we arrived after 9:00 at night, and immediately asked if we needed restaurant recommendations or anything to make our stay enjoyable.

On our second night, we ended up in a different room. The guest next door had a terrible cough, and another larger room was available, so Harriet offered us that room to make sure we could sleep that night. We took her up on the offer, and thought the suggestion was incredibly nice.

As for the meals, we couldn't have asked for better breakfasts. While we didn't get a choice (we didn't ask if we could have something different than what was offered), our first morning, we had a homemade quiche with bacon and potatoes, and on the second morning, we had stuffed French toast with bacon. Each breakfast came with a daily smoothie and fresh fruit. The breakfasts alone make Bufflehead worth it!

We'd love to go back, and the lot is fantastic. It would be perfect in the fall when the leaves are changing. Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a secluded, cozy spot in Kennebunkport.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank TripLover5
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We've stayed at many, many hotels, inns, & B&B's all over the world. This one is special. If you are looking for something "in the middle of the action," you are better off somewhere else. If you are looking for a magical escape, surrounding by nothing but the quiet of the woods and the peace of the water, you can't beat this spot. It is small, intimate, and comfortable. The inn-keepers are fantastic: a family with natural hospitality provided at just the right level...not intrusive, but always helpful and genuinely interested in your experience. The Inn is a few short minutes from the center of town and easily accessible by foot, bike, or car. We stayed in the river cottage, a full fledged stand-alone structure with its own fireplace, hot tub, deck, and grill. It was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myhotelie
Reviewed July 31, 2008

It is impossible to imagine a more perfect place.

I just had my wedding there this past weekend. I don't know how I can possibly articluate just how beautiful this spot is. I have attached photos of the ceremony - the think the view says it all.

The views are amazing, the rooms are luxurious, the breakfasts are gourmet, and each morning we had a variety of options on our plates, waffles, and bacon and frittatas, and scones....just unbelievable.

Most importantly though - I want to point out how wonderful Harriet the Innkeeper and her son, Erin, were the entire weekend. SO accomodating, SO friendly and helpful. It was almost as if Harriet wanted this wedding to be as special as I did, she was warm and generous, and concerned, and so incredibly easy to work with throughout the process.

We did have some wet weather in the weeks and days leading up to the wedding, and as a result we had a bit more water in the grass under the tent than we had hoped for....but the amazing thing was - the spot was so incredible, the wet field added to the special day - gave it some character - a dash a imperfect to complete the day of perfection. I can't tell you how many guest have told me that it was the most beautiful wedding they have ever been too (I definitely have the Bufflehead Cove Inn to thank for that).

My husband and I cannot wait to go back again next summer to really enjoy the peace and tranquility of the Inn. We can’t wait to just be able to relax by the river and enjoy more of the delicious breakfasts that Jim makes. The Bufflehead Cove Inn is really a special spot and Pete (my husband) and I feel so incredibly fortunate to have been able to begin our lives together there.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2008

This was absolute perfection! Harriet is the consummate hostess--warm and friendly and welcoming without being intrusive.

The setting is wonderful and Harriet provides all the extras which make an otherwise great visit over the top. The grounds were beautiful and flowers were used not only around the inn but to make food presentation even better. The breakfasts were delicious, wine and cheese were served in the evening, and we always found chocolate at turn down and music playing when we entered the room. The towels were thick and plentiful as were the extra pillows.

If you are looking for peace, pampering, beauty, and great food do not even think about going anywhere else but Bufflehead.

Stayed: July 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
The Grand Hotel
#4 of 14 in Kennebunk
Captain Lord Mansion
Captain Lord Mansion
#3 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Bufflehead Cove Inn? Share your experiences!