“Heavenly Babymoon”

Bufflehead Cove Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 13, 2013

From the second we arrived until the second we reluctantly departed, we had the most amazing, relaxing and luxurious time at Bufflehead. The owner and her staff are thoughtful and kind, breakfast was phenomenal, wine and cheese in the living room was SO fun, and our hostess even made our dinner reservation for us! We left with so many happy memories, and a Bufflehead Cove onesie, soon to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the River Room, which was snug and beautiful, with a lovely view, small balcony and ver...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have been coming to BCI since about 2001 and have never been disappointed. We have never come this late in the season. We were there from November 7-10, 2013. It was cold, but sunny and we had to do very different things than we usually do in the summer months and it was still just terrific. We were in the Hideaway which is quite comfortable to spend time in. We read by the fireplace and enjoyed the view of the river. When you stay in the hideaway, the staff--usually Jim--delivers coffee to the deck at 7 AM. It is a great treat to sip your morning coffee in a luxurious bed and watch the tidal river flow by your window.
The only problem with BCI is that it has become too popular and booking a room takes advance planning (that is why we went in November). We are already booked in for two visits next season and we can hardly wait.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. All rooms have views of the river with the single exception of the Garden R...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thanks you two, once again.
I always enjoy seeing you and sharing some book ideas. I am glad that you enjoyed dreary old November. It's hinting at snow right now. Brrrrr.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was our first stop on our tour of New England and it set the bar very high for all the other b&b's we stayed in. From the moment we arrived, the welcome from Erin, the lovely house and our beautiful room, confirmed that we'd found a wonderful place! We stayed in the River Room, the smallest in the house, but it was furnished beautifully, had a good shower and great amenities and fantastic views of the river out of our window and a lovely little balcony as well - nothing was wanting.
Erin's recommendation for a meal that night was spot on and we were charmed by Kennebunkport itself. Next morning a great breakfast around the table with other visitors was a highlight of our stay. Well done to Erin for his lovely laid back attitude, whilst providing such a professional level of service. It certainly made us feel at home, we will definitely be back if we visit this part of the States again and will highly recommend it to all we know.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in this beautiful house, but look at website, each room is fu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

I wish it was Erin responding to your wonderful review as he was the person you had the most contact with. He is not available right now as the inn is closed for the season.
We at Bufflehead Cove are always pleased when our guest enjoy their visit. Your review is a pleasure to read and I will certainly pass it on to Erin once he returns.
England is far away but we do hope you have a chance to return.
Enjoy your winter and we look forward to possibly seeing you again. Harriet

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Bufflehead Cove for a long weekend in mid September. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. There is a sprawling lawn leading up to a beautiful older home which is situated directly on the river. There are hammocks, Adirondack chairs, a dock, and a gorgeous front porch with tables and chairs to sit outside and enjoy the water views. If you are looking for quiet and relaxation, this is surely the place! An added bonus, they have bikes you can borrow for free if you want to venture into town or to the beach (about a mile away). The location is walkable to town if you are up for a good walk, but I wouldn't suggest walking at night because the final 1/2 mile is down a dark dirt road. We had a delicious hot homemade breakfast on the porch each morning which was fantastic.The inside of the inn is very comfortable, clean, and well kept. Both the bed and linens in our room were great - very comfy. Nice updated bedding including high thread count sheets, and fluffy pillows and down comforter. The room itself was very clean but could use a few updates - mainly in the bathroom, and the carpet in the room. We had a small porch right off our room with a great view of the river. This was a great place to sit and watch the sun rise. They also served wine and cheese every evening which was a nice touch. Both of the owners, Harriet, and her son Erin were gracious and helpful hosts. Overall we had a wonderful stay and would definitely return!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. Your description of the inn, our grounds and the breakfast were great. Again, thank you. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
I wish I knew which room you stayed in. I am guessing it was the Balcony room as that is the one where we are replacing the rug and somehow redoing the shower in the bathroom. We close the inn next week and then spend some parts of the winter ripping and tearing where needed.
If it was a different room I would love to get a personal email letting me know which one it is. We don't get enough feedback sometimes on what the important things are that need some changes. I am really appreciative of your suggestion.
Have a great winter and I hope we see you again sometime. Harriet

Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a lovely place. We stayed in 2 rooms. First, the Garden Room overlooking a meadow. Feels like a home, beautifully appointed fire place and interesting eclectic furnishings and books. Then we had the Balcony Room, even a larger suite, overlooking the river also tastefully appointed. Staff is very friendly and informative . Breakfasts are delicious! Secluded romantic location but a short drive to Kennebunk Port with all the great restaurants and plenty of shopping. Best place we found in our New England sweep.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow, to be chosen by you as the best place you stayed on your New England trip is a wonderful complement. You were here at such a pretty time of year. Now we have had our first frost and most of our flowers have died ,but there are still leaves and color on many of the trees.
I also love it when guests try out different rooms and then let us know how they liked the rooms. Each room at the inn is different-- different sizes, different views. I am glad you liked, and were comfortable, in both the rooms.
Come see us again! Harriet

Reviewed October 12, 2013

All I have to say is that this place is absolutely amazing! My wife and I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay for our anniversary. The sights were extraordinary and the service we received was amazing. The morning breakfasts were also incredible. Thanks again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Hi James P, thank you for your kind words. I really didn't get to know you because I wasn't working when you were here, but Erin did meet you. We are both glad you enjoyed your 10 year anniversary visit with us and hope we see you sometime in the future. Have a great winter and many, many more happy anniversary celebrations, Harriet Gott

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife and I came for our honeymoon and loved being here. Mrs. Harriet Gott and her son Erin treated us with great friendliness and incredible professionalism. I believe Mr. Gott is the chef and his breakfasts were the best I have tasted.

In all professions, excellence is spoken of, and sometimes strived towards. At this inn, it is attained. The effort that has gone into this place is incredible. Our sheets, towels, etc., were fresh, plush, and it is clear that the owners do not skimp on anything and replace things with regularity. The details in the rooms (we stayed in both the Hideaway and the Balcony Room) are delightful. The food was innovative, creative, and incredibly tasty. The maid service was classy and excellent. Rachelle, who works evenings as the innkeeper some nights, helped me fix a broken pair of glasses.

The property itself is a wonderful environment -- you arrive at the end of a back road to this magical place and are by a lovely river next to the woods. But it has taken the efforts of the owners to make the whole experience what it is.

Room Tip: The Hideway and the Balcony Room are the two marquee rooms. The Balcony Room has in incomparable vi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Hello Alex, We all enjoyed meeting you and your pretty wife. It was a pleasure having you here at the inn. I am glad you liked both rooms, The Hideaway and the Balcony. They are different from each other but offer, I hope, the same feeling of spaciousness and warmth.
I will pass on your complement to Rochelle. We are really blessed to have her work with us. She is a gem!
We wish you a lifetime of happiness together.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
Nonantum Resort
Nonantum Resort
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Port Inn Kennebunk, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Bufflehead Cove Inn? Share your experiences!