“Gorgeous location, great trip!”

Bufflehead Cove Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
“Gorgeous location, great trip!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Bufflehead Cove for a long weekend in mid September. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. There is a sprawling lawn leading up to a beautiful older home which is situated directly on the river. There are hammocks, Adirondack chairs, a dock, and a gorgeous front porch with tables and chairs to sit outside and enjoy the water views. If you are looking for quiet and relaxation, this is surely the place! An added bonus, they have bikes you can borrow for free if you want to venture into town or to the beach (about a mile away). The location is walkable to town if you are up for a good walk, but I wouldn't suggest walking at night because the final 1/2 mile is down a dark dirt road. We had a delicious hot homemade breakfast on the porch each morning which was fantastic.The inside of the inn is very comfortable, clean, and well kept. Both the bed and linens in our room were great - very comfy. Nice updated bedding including high thread count sheets, and fluffy pillows and down comforter. The room itself was very clean but could use a few updates - mainly in the bathroom, and the carpet in the room. We had a small porch right off our room with a great view of the river. This was a great place to sit and watch the sun rise. They also served wine and cheese every evening which was a nice touch. Both of the owners, Harriet, and her son Erin were gracious and helpful hosts. Overall we had a wonderful stay and would definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Your description of the inn, our grounds and the breakfast were great. Again, thank you. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
I wish I knew which room you stayed in. I am guessing it was the Balcony room as that is the one where we are replacing the rug and somehow redoing the shower in the bathroom. We close the inn next week and then spend some parts of the winter ripping and tearing where needed.
If it was a different room I would love to get a personal email letting me know which one it is. We don't get enough feedback sometimes on what the important things are that need some changes. I am really appreciative of your suggestion.
Have a great winter and I hope we see you again sometime. Harriet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a lovely place. We stayed in 2 rooms. First, the Garden Room overlooking a meadow. Feels like a home, beautifully appointed fire place and interesting eclectic furnishings and books. Then we had the Balcony Room, even a larger suite, overlooking the river also tastefully appointed. Staff is very friendly and informative . Breakfasts are delicious! Secluded romantic location but a short drive to Kennebunk Port with all the great restaurants and plenty of shopping. Best place we found in our New England sweep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, to be chosen by you as the best place you stayed on your New England trip is a wonderful complement. You were here at such a pretty time of year. Now we have had our first frost and most of our flowers have died ,but there are still leaves and color on many of the trees.
I also love it when guests try out different rooms and then let us know how they liked the rooms. Each room at the inn is different-- different sizes, different views. I am glad you liked, and were comfortable, in both the rooms.
Come see us again! Harriet
Dover, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2013

All I have to say is that this place is absolutely amazing! My wife and I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay for our anniversary. The sights were extraordinary and the service we received was amazing. The morning breakfasts were also incredible. Thanks again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hi James P, thank you for your kind words. I really didn't get to know you because I wasn't working when you were here, but Erin did meet you. We are both glad you enjoyed your 10 year anniversary visit with us and hope we see you sometime in the future. Have a great winter and many, many more happy anniversary celebrations, Harriet Gott
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife and I came for our honeymoon and loved being here. Mrs. Harriet Gott and her son Erin treated us with great friendliness and incredible professionalism. I believe Mr. Gott is the chef and his breakfasts were the best I have tasted.

In all professions, excellence is spoken of, and sometimes strived towards. At this inn, it is attained. The effort that has gone into this place is incredible. Our sheets, towels, etc., were fresh, plush, and it is clear that the owners do not skimp on anything and replace things with regularity. The details in the rooms (we stayed in both the Hideaway and the Balcony Room) are delightful. The food was innovative, creative, and incredibly tasty. The maid service was classy and excellent. Rachelle, who works evenings as the innkeeper some nights, helped me fix a broken pair of glasses.

The property itself is a wonderful environment -- you arrive at the end of a back road to this magical place and are by a lovely river next to the woods. But it has taken the efforts of the owners to make the whole experience what it is.

Room Tip: The Hideway and the Balcony Room are the two marquee rooms. The Balcony Room has in incomparable vi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Hello Alex, We all enjoyed meeting you and your pretty wife. It was a pleasure having you here at the inn. I am glad you liked both rooms, The Hideaway and the Balcony. They are different from each other but offer, I hope, the same feeling of spaciousness and warmth.
I will pass on your complement to Rochelle. We are really blessed to have her work with us. She is a gem!
We wish you a lifetime of happiness together.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have been visiting Bufflehead Cove for 15 years, to say it is a special place would be an understatement!
The Gott family makes you feel at home from the minute you arrive.
My husband and I have stayed in all of the rooms, our favorite being the hideaway , but every room is unique and comfortable.
The breakfast here is so amazing that you will be thinking about it long after you leave.
The location is perfect, we even put our kayak's in and paddled the beautiful Kennebunk river which is at your doorstep!
Bufflehead Cove is the kind of place where you really hate to leave!

Room Tip: All rooms are super !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
And you two are some of our 'all time favorites' too! thanks for the great review. It's always fun to see you both. Maybe someday I will be able to go kayaking with you.
Nj
Reviewed September 19, 2013

What a terrific find. Thanks to trip advisor we found this gem of a hotel. We stayed in the garden room. The appointments were beautiful and the room was clean and neat. Grounds nice well maintained. Breakfast was excellent and made fresh. The host was most hospitable.

If we are ever in the area again we will certainly stay at the Bufflecove Head Inn and we can unequivocally recommend this B & B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Hello from Maine to New Jersey! I am so glad you enjoyed your visit and it's good to hear that trip advisor was your source to hear about us. Thank you for the nice complements and I hope we see you again sometime. Have a good winter. Harriet
Chesterfield, Missouri
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This B&B should be featured in a magazine like Coastal Living, it is perfect. Harriet and Erin understand hospitality and get it right. We stayed in the beautifully appointed River cottage. I took a video of it to make my friends jealous . Eating breakfast on the porch with it's beautiful water view is a wonderful way to start the day. At the end of the day you fall asleep in the most comfortable bed ever. I totally nitpick hotels, looking for dust, stains on pillows and reactions to special requests. I have nothing but glowing praise for Bufflehead Cove. If you are looking for the perfect B&B experience, this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I wish we were in Coastal Living, I love that magazine!
Thank you for the complements. We try really hard to keep the property shipshape, but of course we see all the things that need fixing. It's great to hear that you saw perfection. I guess as the owners of a business we are more critical of what we have... we do try to continually improve. It really is a pleasure to hear such nice complements. Thank you so much. Harriet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
The Grand Hotel
#1 of 8 in Kennebunk
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 14 in Kennebunk

Been to Bufflehead Cove Inn? Share your experiences!