“Lovely stay during July 4th Weekend”

Waldo Emerson Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
washington DC
“Lovely stay during July 4th Weekend”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We visited Kennebunkport for July 4th and spent two nights there. Kennebunkport is a wonderful little town with cute shops, tasty food, nice beaches, and friendly people. We really enjoyed ourselves and our weekend was topped off with a spectacular fireworks display on the beach.

We loved the Waldo Emerson Inn. John and Kathy were terrific hosts - not sure why others found them overbearing or unfriendly; they gave us a informative tour of the historic property and then other than some friendly conversation during breakfast, basically left us alone. Waldo, was a gem - I've never met a dog so adorable!

The richly decorated rooms rooms were clean, comfortable, with AC and wireless internet connection and private bathroom. The quilts added a gorgeous touch. Before heading to sleep, my family members and I also spent some time chatting away and catching up in one of the two comfortable parlors. Despite the fact that the inn was full, it was still very quiet inside. Our only complaint - the Red Room - where we stayed, faced the road and thus we could hear the traffic. If we find our way back to Kennebunkport, we'll have to request a room in the back.

What else? The breakfast was delicious - Kathy's gronola homemade gronola was some of the best I've ever had and thus we purchased some to take home and she gave us her recipe. In addition, we had 3 different types of pancakes one day and gourmet french toast the second. Fresh fruit and juices, coffee and tea were served. They generously offered seconds, though we we could barely finish our meal!

One thing to note - the inn is a couple of miles from center of town. We had to drive around for 10 minutes to find parking during the holiday weekend, but didn't mind so much.

Overall we really enjoyed ourselves. For $165 per night (including $20 for the third person), I really believe the inn was a geat find in Kennebunkport. My family and I plan on heading back one day soon!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
sandbarvalley
Reviewed November 25, 2008

My wife and I really wanted to find a very romantic New England Bed & Breakfast and we truly were fortunate to experience the Waldo Emerson Inn which is in Kennebunk and right down the road from Kennebunkport!

First and foremost I must say the Inn Keepers were so delightful and kind. They made every effort to insure we would have a most wonderful stay. From the delicious home cooked breakfast to the very clean and historical decor our experience at the Waldo Emerson Inn was one we want to repeat. In fact we are already booked for summer!

We also appreciated the great value of staying here, as the cost compared to other locations was significantly less! We even suggested that the owner should consider raising the cost, as we thought this particular Bed & Breakfast definitely presented a more historical and classy feel and being the fussy clean bugs my wife and I are, we clearly were very pleased and appreciative with how well maintained and how clean everything was. Plus the ambiance and overall atmosphere of the Waldo Emerson Inn was indeed magnificent!

Bravo to the Waldo Emerson Inn! A definite 10!

• Liked — It was very Clean and the Inn Keepers were very kind!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We stayed at the Waldo Emerson Inn for one night and we were extremely happy with the esperience. The Inn keepers were friendly, accommodating and nice. They gave us a quick tour of their historic inn, which is well kept up and decorated. Lots of good information was given to us about site seeing in the area. Reservations were gladly made for us at their favorite restaurant, the Cape Arundel Inn, which turned to be the best restaurant we had been to! Breakfast was excellent, with home made granola, fresh fruit with Maine blueberries, and eggs and bacon. The inn is located just outside of town so there is no parking problems. The Waldo emerson Inn is a great value, and a nice place.

• Liked — value, breakfast
  • Disliked — finding the location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Whittier, California
Reviewed September 9, 2007

My husband found this B&B for me after I drove to my original destination and decided that it was definitely not the right place for me since I was traveling alone. I was so relieved when I arrived here and saw that it was a gem! I liked it so much that I immediately booked the next night as well. My hosts were friendly, hospitable, and knowledgeable about the area, and they gave me a fabulous recommendation for a place to have a delicious lobster dinner. Their dog, Waldo, is very sweet and well-behaved. The house is beautiful and well-decorated, the breakfast was delicious, and my room (the Red Room) was beautiful and comfortable with an amazing hand-made quilt, comfy chairs for reading, and a soft mattress. The room is facing the main road to Kennebunkport, so you may want to choose a different room if you have trouble sleeping with auto noise. (I live in a noisy area in Southern California anyway, so it seemed quiet to me-- it just depends on what you're used to. Other rooms were away from the street.) This place was a retreat for me, and I would have stayed longer if it had been possible. The area is wonderful-- there is easy access to the lovely town of Kennebunkport or the Interstate that runs along the Maine Coast. I hope to return someday with my husband to the Waldo Emerson Inn.

• Liked — Ambiance, location, comfort
  • Disliked — Everything was great
  • Stayed August 2007
2 Thank ponymontana
Montreal
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Based on very positive recommendations from friends, my wife and I decided to book a 2 night stay at the Waldo Emerson Inn in Kennebunkport Maine a few years ago.

We were so impressed, we booked a 4 night stay this year.
As you can imagine 4 nights provides ample opportunity to detect even the slightest deficiency/annoyance, but our only disappointment was that we couldn’t stay longer.

The Waldo Emerson Inn ranks "excellent" on all of the most important factors.
The accommodations are clean, comfortable and charming.
The food was always fresh, delicious and abundant.
The location is easy to find and convenient.
Most importantly, the Inn Keepers (John and Kathy Daamen) are warm, kind and considerate people. When we occasionally asked for something out of the ordinary they have been fair, flexible and thoughtful.

We have traveled quite extensively and experienced a wide range of hotels, resorts, Inns and B&B. We find this place offers extremely good value and is among our favorite places to spend precious vacation time and money.

Our only warning... Apparently our preference for this place is shared by others, as it has sometimes been fully booked on the dates we first requested, so I recommend booking well in advance.

• Liked — The whole ambiance of the place. The building, furnishings, people, location and food.
  • Disliked — I should have booked earlier to ensure availability on the dates I preferred. My fault...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DMcCarthy
NYC
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I recently had the pleasure of traveling to Kennebunkport on business this past month. Having been there many times over the years, I found the Waldo Emerson Inn property online while looking through the chamber of commerce website.

I was so delighted with the great personal service I received from John, the Innkeeper. He arranged Dinner reservations at a wondeful local establishment as well as assisting me with directions for my business appointments. His wife, Cathy served the absolute BEST BREAKFAST, a real Maine cooked to order treat, complete with fresh flowers on the table. The folks are naturals in the Art of Yankee Hospitality!

I have already shared this hidden jewel with my collegues when they come to Kennebunkport, this is a Bed and Breakfast to NOT MISS when you are heading down the Maine coast.

The value is the best in the area that I have found, a truly fablulous Maine Historic Inn/Bed and Breakfast at an Affordable Price.

My Advice is to Book early as the locals tell me this Inn sells out fast.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank NYBroker
NY
Reviewed October 30, 2006

I found both of the innkeepers to be a little overbearing. I was quite shocked after reading some of the other reviews. They were very friendly but you couldn't step out of your room without them grilling you about everything. The husband kept fixing things in our room - while we were there!

I was planning a family function in Kennebunkport this past summer and when I called to see if they had any rooms left, the wife kept asking me why I didn't book my entire party there. It was acutally hard to get her off the phone!!

The rooms are well kept and the food is fantastic...but if you plan on staying here don't stick around unless you want to be interviewed with 500 questions.

• Liked — Clean, quiet
  • Disliked — nosey innkeepers
  • Tips/Secrets — don't miss the breakfast
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with family
5 Thank LKR0731
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
King's Port Inn
#1 of 5 in Kennebunkport
1802 House Bed and Breakfast
1802 House Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Waldo Emerson Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!