“Round 3”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Abbondante - CLOSED

Abbondante
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 35
Description: Abbondante’s menu is true to its name, offering generous portions of thoughtful Italian preparations. Fresh, homemade pasta is prepared daily for family favorite dishes like spaghetti and meatballs and ravioli with ricotta filling and more inventive dishes like tagliatelle with hazelnut brown butter, rabbit confit, spinach and chevre, and papperedelle with agro dolce pork, sausage and pickled chilis. Pizzas cooked in the wood-burning oven include classics, pizza margherita with tomato, basil, mozzarella and extra virgin olive oil, as well as the more imaginative, such as pizza salsiccia with sausage, pickled chilis, provolone and roasted peppers. The menu is rounded out with comfort specialties like eggplant and chicken parmesan, meatball heroes and lasagna.
Kennebunks, Maine
“Round 3”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

I love coming to this place. I feel at home more and more every single time I eat here. I didnt make a reservation this time (although I should have...its summer) So my friend and I sat at the bar while we waited for a table. The hostess was very friendly and welcoming as you dont find that many places in the busy summer. I had this delicious drink called the Shiffosa. Gin and grapefruit I think. My friend the bellini. DELICIOUS. The bartender was perfect at figuring out just what i needed. We didnt wait long for a table which was nice and couldnt wait to eat. I had never had the lasagne and the server recommended it. (Cutest thing ever...think her name was Ashley) Awesome. You can just tell when something is made fresh and this was. I also love that it comes in a skillet. So rustic! My friend had chicken marsala with potatoes. I dont know what they are doing but they better keep it up. The chicken was tender and juicy as i was lucky enough to get a bite. I dont know how they cook it but you get a little grill to it and theres nothing like it around. I cant reccommend this place enough from the beginning to end. from the bar to the table. Great food and service. Keep it up

Merrilee P, Owner at Abbondante, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Sally J,
Many thanks for your love of our restaurant, we truly appreciate it. Noelle, our bartender is quite good at mixing cocktails and is always ready to make excellent recommendations. Ashley is one of our most lovely servers, I am glad she provided you with a nice night out.
Again, we appreciate your support of our Italian restaurant, please say hi to us next time you come in.
Warmest Regards,
Merrilee Paul
Owner

Kennebunkport, Maine
“An absolute favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

The food is amazing every time and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. The service is always friendly, they have a great drink menu and a very hip and fabulous bar, The Down Low, downstairs. We have had many dishes, apps and desserts here and they never disappoint - it's an absolute favorite!

• Visited August 2014
Merrilee P, Owner at Abbondante, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Julie Ann L,
We thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor, we sincerely appreciate it. We are happy that we have afforded you nice nights out. Many thanks for the Down Low mention, we are proud of our new little cocktail bar.
Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Warmest Regards,
Merrilee Paul
Owner
Milford, New Jersey
“Abbodante (def: from pseudo-Italian meaning mediocre)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was not surprised that Abbodante follows the current restaurant trend of covering tables with large sheets of butcher paper. Not a problem at all. My antenna should have gone up when our table was covered with an obviously previously used sheet. Grease stains, wrinkles from the elbows of earlier diners.

The two of us had a total of 3 drinks. Two salads. We shared their self-proclaimed "famous garlic monkey bread” - greasy. For our entrees, lasagna and chicken piccata. Including tip, we got out for about $120. Our experience can best be described by my wife’s remark: “That was a lot of money for a crappy meal.”

The lasagna: We get better at our local take-our pizza joints at home – but it was OK. The chicken piccata: At best, uninspired. I have never had chicken piccata with anything but breast cutlets. I got a small half of a breast (skin on) and a drumlet. Both were charred on the grill and served lukewarm. The flavor of the piccata sauce was marginal to start but then completely overwhelmed by the mis-prepared and inappropriate chicken pieces. The char on the chicken pieces dominated all other flavors. The side of linguine was dried at the edges from too much time in the warming station. The sauce reminded me of my mother’s sauce. This is not a complement. She heated up Hunt’s tomato sauce for spaghetti. No cheese offered for the entrees.

On the positive side, our server was attentive and welcoming (although I had to ask twice for a refill). The front desk seemed less than delighted to see us – they were obviously just doing it by the numbers.

Definitely not a return destination.

• Visited June 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Romantic Dinner + Secret Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

This place is a real gem! The dining experience is top notch - fantastic service meets exquisite food. We started with the Sautéed Calamari and Prosciutto Melon Salad, both of which were mouth watering. I ordered the Eggplant Parmesan with angel hair pasta, one incredible meal that left me full twice over! My boyfriend polished off his delicious Marsala Chicken & Linguini. Our server suggested two glasses of wine based on our normal preferences, and she was spot on!
What more could we ask for on a Friday night?

A SPEAKEASY. There is a secret candlelit bar below the restaurant with a great cocktail menu. I went with The Married Man, a mescal cayenne mix that hit the spot. Suspender wearing bartenders, framed blues vinyls and a DJ who sets the lounge mood awfully well.

“Beautiful summer dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We recently stopped in for a summer evening meal. We were seated at the outside patio and our dining experience could not have been better. The service was friendly, welcoming and efficient. Our meals were delicious. The Eggplant Parmesan, Orecchiette with Sausage and Chicken Marsala were out if this world. Our dining experience was delightful in every way. If you are in the area make a point to visit Abbondante, you won't be disappointed you did.

3 Thank Kyemm