“A great diversion from seafood”
Review of Abbondante - CLOSED

Abbondante
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 35
Description: Abbondante’s menu is true to its name, offering generous portions of thoughtful Italian preparations. Fresh, homemade pasta is prepared daily for family favorite dishes like spaghetti and meatballs and ravioli with ricotta filling and more inventive dishes like tagliatelle with hazelnut brown butter, rabbit confit, spinach and chevre, and papperedelle with agro dolce pork, sausage and pickled chilis. Pizzas cooked in the wood-burning oven include classics, pizza margherita with tomato, basil, mozzarella and extra virgin olive oil, as well as the more imaginative, such as pizza salsiccia with sausage, pickled chilis, provolone and roasted peppers. The menu is rounded out with comfort specialties like eggplant and chicken parmesan, meatball heroes and lasagna.
Bedford, New Hampshire
“A great diversion from seafood”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had just arrived back to New England from a week in Cabo and were enjoying a couple of days in Maine when my husband decided he wanted Italian food instead of the seafood we were enjoying for days on end. We walked by Abbondante while shopping, and it looked really cool, so we figured there was no way that they could fit us in for a prime time spot, but they were very nice and accommodating when we stopped in. The restaurant is nicely decorated and has little lanterns in the windows. It's romantic looking but there were a lot of families there.

They offer several types of homemade pasta, which was surprising, and we did have two types. Both were quite good. You MUST try the garlic monkey bread for a new take on the sweet classic. We loooooved it! The waitstaff was extremely nice and everything was clean and wonderful even though it was very busy.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank cpennnh

County Durham
“Nice find”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were recommended Abbondante's by our Elizabeth Rose B&B owners. They had eaten many times at the restaurant. Parking was easy. The restaurant was vibrant and busy. The food was very good and as a vegetarian I adored the fried zucchini and polenta and the range of options for mains. Everyone enjoyed the prosecco punch. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2014
“Skip this place. ”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Remember Grisini's? This place is nothing like it. Brown paper on tables. Low lights. Lousy food. This was very disappointing. You would be better off visiting your local Olive Garden. The service was the only favorable point. We will not be back.

1 Thank Mikelindaa
Dear Mikelindaaa,
We take all feedback good or bad very seriously, so thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I apologize that we can not be the old restaurant that was once here. The paper on the tables is actually the same as the previous restaurant, just a different color. It is meant to be in the style of Italian trattorias. All of our food is from scratch and our kitchen staff takes immense pride in what they do, I can not imagine a meal coming from our kitchen that compares to a chain restaurant. If there was any issue during your meal, you never once mentioned it. If you had, we would have been happy to remedy the complaint. It is pleasing that you enjoyed our service.
I am sorry you had such a disappointing evening with us as that is never our intent. I would be happy to have you back as our guests should decide to give us another try. Please feel free to contact me directly via phone, 207.967.2211 or email, merrileep@gmail.com
Best,
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Good meal / good effort”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Dined here with family recently. Decent Italian. Menu heavy on pasta and pizza; light on veggies. It's a place better suited for a cold winter day or après ski (dark and moody, big fireplace) than for a summer supper. Cool vibe though, and nice service.

Dear Jennifer H,
Many thanks for your review of Abbondante on Tripadvisor. We are pleased you enjoyed your night out with us. We love our restaurant in the winter as well, it is very comforting!
Looking forward to seeing you in the off season.
Best,
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good Italian Food”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We visited this restaurant in late June while staying at Hidden Pond in Kennebunkport. I believe this restaurant is owned by the same group that owns Hidden Pond, The Tides Beach Club, and a few other places in Kennebunkport.

I am not a big pasta fan, but my husband is. We shared the spaghetti/linguini with marina sauce and meatballs. My husband thought it was very good. I thought it was good, but not great. We also had the antipasto which, again, was good but not great. They did give you a generous serving to spIit between two people. I really can't criticize the restaurant other than to say that it was not exceptional. It's probably a good restaurant for your money if you like Italian. But, I have had better.

We had heard that they make a lot of homemade pasta, so maybe I was expecting more. I have a soy allergy; so I couldn't have some of the food items, because they were a mix of soy oil and olive oil.

We were told we needed reservations, so we made them. But we found that when we went there on a weekday evening around 7:30, it was not crowded at all.

I think this was good Italian, but nothing that will "knock your socks off".

• Visited June 2014
Dear ChestertonRudy,
We appreciate your review of us on Tripadvisor. We take all feedback seriously. I am hoping next time you dine with us we can knock those socks off!
Thanks again for your time in reviewing us.
Warm Regards,