“Good to very good”
Review of Abbondante - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 35
Description: Abbondante’s menu is true to its name, offering generous portions of thoughtful Italian preparations. Fresh, homemade pasta is prepared daily for family favorite dishes like spaghetti and meatballs and ravioli with ricotta filling and more inventive dishes like tagliatelle with hazelnut brown butter, rabbit confit, spinach and chevre, and papperedelle with agro dolce pork, sausage and pickled chilis. Pizzas cooked in the wood-burning oven include classics, pizza margherita with tomato, basil, mozzarella and extra virgin olive oil, as well as the more imaginative, such as pizza salsiccia with sausage, pickled chilis, provolone and roasted peppers. The menu is rounded out with comfort specialties like eggplant and chicken parmesan, meatball heroes and lasagna.
htimsynnad
“Good to very good”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We are loyal fans of some extremely good restaurants in Providence and New York, so the bar is set high. We had to keep reminding ourselves of that, along with the reality that the Maine Coast is not about Italian food. Plus, restaurants in this area really only have a few months to make their nut so we should expect to pay a premium while vacationing.

With that said, the fare was not what we hoped for, or even as good as places in the Hartford, CT area. Our best entree (out of four) was the Filet Mignon. I'd maybe give the food, on average, a three (but the steak a solid four). Service was good, but not great (it seems the staff still needs some time together in order to find their place; I'd guess most are college students back home for the Summer).

The ambiance is excellent and the location couldn't be better (just far enough outside the hustle and bustle of downtown Kennebunkport). It's very nicely appointed, and the giant table in the middle of the restaurant is spectacular.

I feel bad because comparing an Italian restaurant to those on Federal Hill, Arthur Ave, or the North End of Boston isn't fair. I wish I could give Abbondante a better score, but the homemade pastas and Veal Parm are no better than average. And, the service was (in reality) a bunch of college kids trying figure it out working. Not really what I'd expect when spending $30-$40 a person for dinner.

I think the old adage "When in Rome" fits here.

Fort Augustus, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good service and good food”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was just passing through and stopped for a quick bite to eat here and i was pleasantly surprised. The service was really good, our waiter (i think his name was Jack) was really friendly and helpful. I ordered a pizza and it was one of the best pizzas i have had in quite a while, it really hit the spot. I will definatley go back if i am ever in the Kennebunkport area again.

Merrilee P, Owner at Abbondante, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear nab82baa,
Thank you for your review of Abbondante. We are so happy you enjoyed your service & dinner. Jack is one of our most congenial waiters and we are proud to have him part of our team. The pizzas are a personal favorite too, the wood fired oven just makes them that much better.
looking forward to welcoming you back.
Best,
Sudbury, Massachusetts
“OK but not as good as Grisinis”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Menu limited, fresh pastas very nice. Salads fresh. Wish there was more variety to menu. Wait staff friendly. Overpriced for the value.

Merrilee P, Owner at Abbondante, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Annb98,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am pleased there were some aspects of your evening you enjoyed. I have passed on your review to the staff as we strive to improve.
We hope to welcome you back sometime.
Best,
Cranford, New Jersey
“The most disappointing restaurant experience of our vacation.”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We visited Abbondante with our three young children (11,8,7). The restaurant is visually beautiful. It rained the entire day and the fireplace was lit and inviting. This space feels very special. The hostess was so sweet and engaged our daughter's immediately.

Once at the table we looked at the menu to make our selections. I felt our server was not happy to have a party with children and that she seemed condescending. The table was very dimly lit and I had difficulty reading the wine selections. When I asked for a glass of Pinot Noir she replied that the restaurant was Italian and that the wine list reflected that. She recommended the most expensive glass of wine.

When my husband asked her opinion when trying to decide between two dishes, again it was the most expensive dish at $37.00 she recommended. This dish (halibut) was one of the daily specials, and while very tasty, it was at least $10.00 more than any other entree on the menu. She never did share the prices of the specials and we were surprised that halibut with risotto would be priced at $37.00.

When I inquired about getting a piece of grilled chicken with a side of pasta for one of my children (which was not on the regular menu), she seemed a bit annoyed and upon returning, informed us that the restaurant would be "willing to do that" for us. Every other restaurant has obliged this request without hesitation, and certainly without having to go and check with someone.

My biggest complaint was that I left feeling that this server simply wanted us to spend the most money possible. I ordered two margharita pizzas for my children believing they were personal pies. In the spirit of full disclosure, I never asked the server how big the pies were. But I will also say that I waited tables and bartended for years and I would have never allowed a family to order two pies of that size with out pointing out that one pie would probably suffice. So now we have 11 pieces of pizza jammed into our little mini fridge at the hotel. I did address this with the waitress in a gentle and respectful manner. While she acknowledged what I said, she took no further action to relay this concern to a manager/owner or perhaps even reduce the bill by the price of a pizza.

I was very excited going into this restaurant but left feeling very sad and taken advantage of. This is, by far, the most disappointing restaurant experience of our vacation. I will also share my concerns with the concierge at our hotel.

Merrilee P, Owner at Abbondante, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Janet B,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your dining experience with us. By no means do we not appreciate having children dine with us, we actually have our restaurant filled with families nightly and are happy about that! Our hopes had been since conception that Abbondante would be a place for parents & children to enjoy.
I do apologize your server did not share with you the price of the nightly addition, that is not our policy. In terms of the pizza size, we never know how much a person's appetite is and never want to insult anyone with questioning their menu choices. Should you have queried the size, we would have been happy to tell you how small/large the pizzas are and you could decide how many to order for your children.
Should you choose to dine with us again, please feel free to contact me directly at the restaurant via phone or email (merrileep@gmail.com) as we would like to issue you a gift certificate to return as our guests.
Again, thank you for your review, we truly appreciate it.
Warm Regards,
Montreal, Canada
“Great... as always”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you are in the Kennebunkport area, you must to go to Abbondante for dinner
The appeal of this restaurant is the quality of the food -- authentic Italian food -- and it's ambiance.
Foe sure you will not be disappointed. Not too expensive, and not located in the high traffic tourist areas all make this restaurant a hidden gem.
This is not a fancy restaurant, but the food is so good...everything we had was great, service is friendly and professional.

What a wonderful dining experience..

Merrilee P, Owner at Abbondante, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Michel T,
We appreciate you taking the time to review us on TA. It pleases us that you appreciated all of the aspects of dining out with us.
Again, thank you for your kind words, we look forward to having you as our guest again.
Warm Regards,