“Fresh Seafood On The Dock”

Pilot House Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 68 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We got into town late and needed dinner but everywhere else was packed and had a waiting list for a table, that is when we decided on the Pilot House. It is nestled back off the road, behind another business and next to a working fishing dock and marina and it had tables available.
We were seated and our drink orders were taken immediately so we could read the menus at our leisure.
This place is fascinating, so much is happening beyond the facade of the main drag that you miss unless you venture back just a few yards.
Our crew ordered their usual lobster choices: boiled, scampi, lobster pie and I stayed with my preferred: swordfish. This chef knows what he's doing, the swordfish was perfect: tender, firm and moist. Everyone else was very happy with their choices and we, my SO & I, were amazed that we never tried the Pilot House before. We will definitely correct that oversight on our next visit.
It would appear that they also have a pretty lively night life as well, so it is absolutely worth your effort to check it out.

1  Thank revrpb619
There are newer reviews for Pilot House Restaurant

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Came here on a tour, it was recommended by the coach driver. On the Monday we visited there was one table in use other than the tour group. I had the Lobster roll, followed by the Blueberry pie, portions were a good size and adequate. The service was very good and the standout feature for a generally average place.

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here on a family road trip. Had lobster, scallops, shrimp and the lobster scampi. Great waitress helped show how to get all the goodness from the lobster. Scallops and shrimp were good. Scampi very rich. Blueberry pie and lava cake fantastic. Waitress was wonderful. Worth a visit!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We ate here on recommendation of the whale watch personnel, whose employers own the restaurant. It was convenient. We ordered lobster dinners, which were a reasonable price, except for me. I ordered the lobster "scampi". The lobster dinners were basic and good, although the french fries all got cold while they were wrestling with the lobsters. The "scampi". on the other hand, was a great disappointment. I don't think the chef understands what "scampi" means. I expected chunks of lobster in a garlic, butter wine/sherry sauce over pasta. I got a huge pile of pasta with sliced grape tomatoes, green peppers and onion and a bit of pinkish sauce, but not even enough to pool in the bowl. Huh??? I think he needs to google "scampi"! To add insult to injury, there was hardly any lobster meat in it. Maybe 1/2 a lobster, to estimate generously. And further insult is the price: $21.99! I was not happy, although it tasted okay, it wasn't what I ordered.
We decided to have dessert, which was a good thing. We got a lava cake with ice cream, and blueberry pie a la mode. I asked if they were Maine blueberries, and she said they were. They were indeed, and a huge piece of pie (good thing we were sharing!) and it was the best blueberry pie I've had anywhere, hands down.
I left before the server came back with the bill, and when my husband came out, he told me she took 20% off the "scampi" price, which I thought was a nice gesture. I think we would probably go back, if not just for that yummy blueberry pie!!

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Lots of old white people dancing badly to loud music. The food is pretty good but not outstanding. The waitresses were very nice. Some people might like this restaurant, it's just this 30-something Pac-NW girl's kind of place.