“Good Lobster Roll”
Review of Bartley's Dockside Dining - CLOSED

Bartley's Dockside Dining
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Kennebunk's longest licensed restaurantwith the same family ownership . . . .100 seat YEAR ROUND restaurantemploying local people, 37 years 3 generations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Ordered the Lobster Roll and clam chowder. We were supposed to get a free blueberry pie with the purchase of a lobster roll but we were never offered it and was given our check. I think they were just under staffed. The food was very good though.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I live in Maine. I eat at Lobster shacks that are perched on the side of the ocean where boats unload their catches of lobsters. Those are special places in Maine. I thought this might be one of those, and since we are moving to Kennebunkport this fall and are trying out all the local places - we gave Bartley's a chance. While Bartley's was just barely OK - I should have known when you see a bottle of Cakebread wine on the table, it should raise red flags. I love my wine - and love fine dining - but this is not the place for that. The salad my wife ordered was so overdressed that it could not be eaten. A virtually full plate taken away should have been a sign to the waitress who was more eager to sell us blueberry pie than ensure our satisfaction. My fish and chips were not bad - but on the coast should a nice large filet of fish be possible rather than chunks? There has to be better. I will continue to hit every other place in town.

KportMainer, General Manager at Bartley's Dockside Dining, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Dear MaineEXPTravler:

Thank you for your recent visit to Bartley’s. We look forward to having you in town. I’m sorry were disappointed by your recent experience. We never have claimed to be a fine dining experience. We offer great quality seafood at an affordable price, in a family setting with waterfront views.

We do however love our wine. Cakebread has been a favorite among our guests, particularly White House staffers who traveled to Kennebunkport with President George W. Bush during his 8 years in office. The owners of Cakebread personally visited us a few years back, thanking us for our business as we are one of their top clients within the State of Maine. While I agree, our downhome feel isn’t typically seen with fine wines like Cakebread, we continue to carry it as our guests who know it continue to appreciate our reasonable pricing and per glass option often not available to them in larger cities.

That said MaineEXPTraveler, I hope you’ll give us another shot. Next time we’ll make sure to go light on the dressing.

Brian

Reviewed August 12, 2014

HORRIBLE wait staff, owner is pushy and seems to like to lead her staff in freedom to talk badly about other competing businesses. (clam shack next door) Nice to be able to sit at a table but so NOT worth it. Blueberry pie supposed to be great...NOT.
Sorry Bartleys, we'd rather stand.

KportMainer, General Manager at Bartley's Dockside Dining, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Hello lucielleball:

I'm often skeptical of reviews which consist of direct, personal attacks on my mother, Mrs. Bartley, an 89 year old woman who still works every day of her life as well as my hardworking staff. In addition, this review was short on content TripAdvisor travelers would find useful to their own travel needs and restaurant selection. If you were indeed a guest, this platform is meant as a means to speak of that experience; not shamelessly promote a neighboring competitor and harbor personal attacks. - Both of which are suspect in my book.

Brian

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Too often, when you stop for a lobster roll in a touristy area of Maine, you walk away feeling like it was "just all-right" and usually too expensive. This was not my experience when we stopped at Bartley's for lunch, today. We ordered a lobster roll and cup of clam chowder combination. The chowder was thick, rich and very flavorful-one of the best I've ever had. The lobster roll was over stuffed with fresh tasting, succulent, chunks of lobster with just the right amount of dressing served on a perfectly grilled bun. Even the Cole slaw was outstanding! Our waiter, Steve, was courteous, efficient and fun. The owner, Mrs. Bartley came around to show off the latest Blueberry pie she baked, but also to chat and ask how we liked everything. I would recommend Bartley's to anyone who wants to try try the local cuisine.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

This is the place to go in Kennebunkport if you decide to leave the beach a bit earlier around 11:00 to avoid any crazy lunch lineups. The lobster roll is excellent and generously stuffed with fresh lobster, the fries are hand cut (not frozen), and the blubbery pie is honestly the best in town topped off with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. The service is great and the vibe is wonderful!

1  Thank Madeleine S

Dear Madeleine S:

Thank you for your visit. Thank you for sharing pictures of your meal with the TripAdvisor community. I think you have a career in food photography should you ever want it.

We hope to see you back soon! Btw, I love the name. My granddaughter shares it. ;)

Brian Bartley