“The Last Time We Will Visit”
Review of Bartley's Dockside Dining - CLOSED

Bartley's Dockside Dining
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Kennebunk's longest licensed restaurantwith the same family ownership . . . .100 seat YEAR ROUND restaurantemploying local people, 37 years 3 generations
Reviewed August 16, 2013

There is no way to explain the sadness that accompanies our most recent visit to Bartley's.
After 5 years of sending people there, to what I had originally called an "Unpretentious Gem..." and praising the food, we were so thoroughly disappointed in the food and appalled at the absolute filth that I can not in good faith recomment that anyone venture there.
The food was not bad, just bland and uninspired. Everything was prepared fresh, but with no love or attention by the chef or kitchen staff. Its as if the owner, who was there the whole time but paid no attention to customers, staff or kitchen, just doesn't care anymore. In the past he would cruise the tables, check on things in general and always stopped to chat with his customer; not this time.
There was a swamp occupying the area behind the bar service area near the restrooms and the restrooms themselves looked as if they had not seen a renovation of any kind in years.
We are hoping that this was a one time occurance, but will not be going back again just based on the perception that we believe that it will be shut down or closed based on what we experienced.
Sad, it was our favorite place in Kennebunk.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I ate here with my family a couple of years ago and was disappointed. It seems the restaurant has been through a bit of an update, so I was optimistic that it would be better this time around.

It wasn't. We found the food to be greasy and over-priced. Service wise, they seemed overwhelmed and/or understaffed. My seven-year-old, who loves lobster was disappointed. We decided to skip dessert based upon not wanted to upset the staff and our disappointment with the main courses. So, I have to say we are not fans and probably will not be back. There are many better dining options both in Kennebunkport and along Route 1.

Sorry. I just didn't find anything appealing about Bartleys during their second-chance. I think they are lucky to be next to the Clam Shack and benefit from their overflow.

Julie R, Manager at Bartley's Dockside Dining, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

I am finding your review very difficult to respond to. You could not name anything specific to complain about. The only thing that stands out is your suggesting the Clam Shack next door. would have been nice had you even known your server, or what meal you had. would have given me a place to start.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our party of twelve was looking for a lobster related lunch. We were told by several restaurants it would be an hour wait. While walking around we noticed a lobster sign in front of Bartleys and went in.They sat us right away and were terrific from the start. We ordered lobster,lobster rolls,and blueberry pie. Everything we had was great. Mrs. Bartley and her son were delightful. She gave us a tour of her photo collection and a history lesson of her restaurant. We all posed for pictures in front. I would recommend Bartley's to everyone.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is my first review to ever post and it's because the lobster stew at Bartley's Dockside (and the lobster roll, and homemade blueberry pie) was simply wonderful. The Clam Shack was supposedly good but we didn't warn to stand in line. Right next door is Bartley's and the couple dining outside said it was good so we went in. Totally worth it...be sure to give it a try!! And thanks, too, to Paula our server.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I always make a side trip to stop at Bartley's for fried clams when I visit Maine; fish is fresh and done to perfection. This trip I got the fisherman's platter; fried scallops, clams and haddock. Amazing how they get it right every time, just perfect! So much food I couldn't finish. Sadly, no room for dessert, maybe next year. Enjoy!