“Good pie”
Review of Bartley's Dockside Dining - CLOSED

Bartley's Dockside Dining
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Kennebunk's longest licensed restaurantwith the same family ownership . . . .100 seat YEAR ROUND restaurantemploying local people, 37 years 3 generations
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I agree with the OK rating of a previous poster. This place was just OK and quite expensive. I had the lobster stew (small bowl = 14$) and although filled with lots of lobster meat, the thin creamy broth left a lot to be desired. My husbands clam chowder was good, but he had better the night before at Mikes Clam Shack in Wells. Their "famous" onion rings were average. We thought it was funny that the paper placemats on all the tables was a copy of a restaurant review of the place that must have been quite outdated as the priceys were completely off. It listed my small lobster stew as $7.50, when it was actually almost twice that! And the bluberry pie slice price was off too....listed as $4.50....actually $6 or $6.50....I can't remember! I would recomend this place only for the waterside dining and blueberry pie....go for dessert or a snack of pie....its expensive but good.

Reviewed September 4, 2007

I have to give credit to the waitstaff, they were friendly and accommodating. The food was deplorable, and would you might expect decent seafood in Maine? Two of the seven? coconut shrimp were raw, this left little hope for the actual dinner. I had a crab roll and I expected chunks of crabmeat, not so, tuna fish consistency, YUK! My husband had the "very dry" fish and chips. And those "healthier" fries, c'mon we are on vacation! Would certainly not return here again.

2  Thank honest reviewer
Reviewed August 26, 2007

This place is one of the last that tourists would be attracted to in Kennebunkport. Even though it is well located, it is definately not decorated to draw the usual tourist crowd. We were looking for a down home Maine place and were attracted by the clam shack sign. Boy were we happy that we stopped by.

The lobster roll I had was meaty, sweet and tender with plenty of claw meat. The coleslaw and fries were even uncommonly good. My husband had an excellent boullabaisse with plenty of fresh mussels, fresh vegetables, saffron, and pernod. You could tell by tasting it that it was made on the premises. They had a pretty good wine list too. I tried some white wine called Shoefly that was so good I ordered a second glass. My husband had the Georges le Beuf. The delectable Maine blueberry pie tasted freshly made too.

Our waiter told us that seafood and vegetables are brought locally and most dishes are made from scratch on the premises. Only a few things such as ketsup and fries come from vendors. Judging from how wonderful everything tasted, I believe him.

1  Thank TravelKitty02906
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Up until '06 we never went to Bartley's, but went on the advice of a friend in Kennebunkport. It was okay. We sat outside along the side where the river is located and felt we were going to fall into the river. The food and service were average for the cost. We probably won't be going back.

1  Thank NubbleLight
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We frequently have come up to the Kennebunkport area for years and, without a doubt, can definitely recommend Bartley’s Dockside Restaurant (located immediately before the bridge with parking provided). Every lunch or dinner we have had there has been consistently delicious. Their seafood is scrumptious, from the lobster, scallop and clam rolls to their broiled fish. Even their burgers and prime rib are excellent. Their onion rings are to die for – crispy and not greasy. The wine list is varied with something for everyone's taste and pocketbook. We are always welcomed there as we are frequent diners but we see new visitors greeted and warmly welcomed. I've heard the blueberry pie is one of the best but we somehow always seem to be so filled that we have not been able to try it... in the future we are going to make a resolution to make sure we leave room for it on our next visit.

2  Thank barbsi2003