“Good atmostphere”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Atmosphere is really nice with the views and deck overlooking the docks. They feature Shipyard products, which we enjoyed. The food was very good and fresh- I had baked haddock and my husband had one of their specialty burgers. We were visiting in off season and still had a bit of wait to get a table on the deck, so plan accordingly.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stopped by Federal Jack's for a drink and some snacks. I asked for a window seat and even though it was raining we enjoyed the view of the boats.

My husband ordered a pint of Goat Island Light ($3.75) and I ordered a Pompolitan ($6.50).

Then we ordered the Small Chicken Tenders ($9.99). Good thing we ordered the hot sauce on the side...it was really hot and the tenders were dry and overcooked. We also ordered the Small Fried Clams ($8.99) they were large and cooked perfectly...good choice.

We liked the Fried Clams so much that we decided to go for lunch again the following day.

I ordered the Red Sangria ($6.50). It was terrible. I should have sent it back. My husband ordered a pint of Goat Island Light and this time he was charged $4.75.

We both ordered the Clam Dinner ($19.99 each). The clams this time were dry and overcooked. Very disappointed.

This restaurant is in a nice location with a nice view. It is very popular and can be noisy and crowded. Lots of families with kids there.

2  Thank bainso
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We went over our recent trip. The steak and sweet potato fries were really good. Tried 3 of the beer tasters, love the seasonal blends. Crab roll wasn't a fan. Location is nice but having to come up stairs to get in wasn't fond of on a rainy chilly day.

1  Thank Christine G
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Living in Kennebunk, we eat here occasionally, and we have had a fine, consistent experience at Federal Jack's. The food is good, the staff is friendly and accommodating, and the setting is nice. We don't love the fact that it's a very, very noisy dining experience no matter where you sit inside the dining room; for that reason we do prefer outside seating in the summer, and we tend to go there then as opposed to in the off-season. We haven't had the service problems others complain about. I've found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. It's a very busy place, so a wait is usual in the summer months, but having a drink on the deck before dinner is pleasant.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We have eaten here a few times and it is in a lovely location. If you are lucky you might be able to sit by a window and look at the boats on the water (request a window seat if you can). We have had dinner here as a family as well as a mother/daughter outing. I am not sure why waiters think that if you order water you shouldn't get the same service as if a table orders beer or regular drinks. I will tell you right now, I left a $10 tip the other night at an Italian restaurant with my daughter and the bill was lower than what we had at this place. The reason being is that he noticed right away our menus were on the table and he took our drink orders and asked if we were ready to give our meal order. What usual waiters/waitresses do is they take your drink order and promptly "run away" and return 5 minutes later. This is understandable if the waiter comes promptly to your table after sitting down but when you are seated and have a 5 minute wait JUST to have someone finally arrive to take your drink order, we're ready!! Don't make us wait!! We are starving as it is and promptness is the key to a better tip. So anyway, this waiter at Federal Jacks visited us one time to give us our drinks and never came back until after the meal was completed. There are assistants who bring you your food, not the waiter or at least not on our visit. The food isn't dynamic, it's ok, a bit overpriced but it is the atmosphere you are paying for. Another tip: Do not sit near the bar because sometimes they use the bartender to tend tables. Also, do not sit near large groups because your waiter or waitress will be taking care of them the most and might forget about you(this has happened more times than I want to even go into). I would say this is a 50/50 chance place of getting good service/food. Best of luck!

1  Thank ShowTheWorldYouCare