“Food decent but overpriced and felt like a zoo exhibit”
Review of Clam Shack

Clam Shack
Ranked #3 of 69 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This was my first stop on the Friday night of August 20th. I wish I had walked on by like I originally planned to.
I ordered a lobster (yes it's a clam shack but they were so expensive at over $21!).
The guy behind the counter was a big jock-looking type who had an attitude to match. He seemed to know right away I was a greenhorn to this kind of scene. Instead of filling me in, he seemed content to look over every so often from the counter with a cocky smurk. But I am getting ahead of myself, first I order and ask if I can substitute the potato chips it came with for fries outside, even if I have to pay more. No, I can't, it's the same but different or some similar convoluted answer like that is what I got.

I don't go out to eat much, and had lobster once or twice in my entire life and I was a kid so the work was done for me. It was obvious I had no idea how to eat a lobster , and instead of being amused, he could have offered some suggestions. And I thought you ate lobster with a nutcracker to break the claws, but I was not provided with one, I don't think they had them, I looked. So what lobster meat I could extract was nice and tasty, but I am sure I wasted some. So the breakdown is:

Food: elsewhere I said 8 of 10 but I wouldn't go that far. maybe 6.5 or 7, average or slightly better but not worth the price.

Customer service/attitude: not as rude as some places so I have to rate accordingly, but still not good. maybe a 2 or 3 out of 10.
The atmosphere/decor was nothing special, but that is what you would expect at a shack. That doesn't make it into my rating/decision-making process, but if it did, I would rate it a 5 of 10. Maybe the offerings outside at the shack were better, but the clams were expensive and the lobster inside seemed like a better deal. The food is likely good, but I do not like being the object of local amusement.

1  Thank LoneGoose
Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed August 18, 2010

The Clam Shack is just across the bridge from Kennebunkport. It is basically a shack that you order from, and take your food with you. There are about 5 parking spaces out front, which is great, considered the limited parking in the area. There are also a couple of tables inside the building next door, where you can eat your lobster dinner, or buy a live lobster.

We picked up a fried scallop roll ($9.50), fried haddock roll ($9.50), and fried dough with powdered sugar ($3.95). We took our food with us, and drove to a nice spot, and ate it over-looking the ocean. Everything was really tasty. Lots of fried food, but it was very good. They seem to have a lot on their menu, so you should easily find something that suits you.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

You can't get more basic than this. Adjacent to an old small drawbridge and built overlooking the river inlet. Fresh clams are breaded and fried to order. Served with big wedges of lemon and splendid homemade cocktail sauce or Ken's Tartar Sauce. The Lobster roll here is also great (buttered chunks on a conventional bun). Also known for their scallops... if it's seafood and it's fried, this is the place to get it. Beware of the seagulls! They'll swoop down and get your clams! You dine "al fresco" here... on benches in the parking lot or on the dock or bridge or standing next to the road. BRING CASH! They don't take credit cards and it ain't cheap!

Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stopped here for a late lunch on Saturday afternoon. We got a lobster roll (that claimed to have 1lb of meat but it did not), a crab roll, and cup of chower, and a small french fry - and it cost $38. The food tasted good - but was way over priced and very small portions. Would skip this place next time and just go to one of the small lobster shacks outside of town.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

Been eating here since I was a kid and it's so nice to see that nothing has changed . (well, except the prices). Our favorites are the scallops, lobster roll and the haddock. Who knew haddock could be so delicious! Yes, it's expensive for food from a take out window, but it's worth every single penny. Everything is prepared fresh and we've yet to find a place that beats the quality of the food.