“Happy as a Clam”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Every year the clam shack is a must visit for us. After reading the other reviews you might think we go there for the clams or lobster roll but we actaully go for the fried haddock. It is pricey to be sure at 17 bucks but it is delicious. This is a restaurant you walk to, rather than park and eat at. Find a parking space somewhere in town and stop to eat when you know you will be walking around town. There is little to no parking. The best part is taking your meal and going behind the shack to their small dock overlooking the river. Enjoy the views of the river and the boats and the people walking over the bridge. Very relaxing. Did I say the Haddock is excellent? Very flaky and tender. The batter is wonderful. It falls apart when you eat it. You get very big hunks of fish. You can lean on the railing and throw french fries at the seagulls. Never throw the haddock. It is too good (and too expensive to feed the gulls). We joked once that I dropped a little piece of haddock on the ground and said ooops there goes 5 bucks wasted. I can't vouch for their clams or lobster, but most casual conversations we have had with other patrons seem to be that they are enjoying the food. This is one of the reasons I put up with Winter in New England. Maine in the Summer is worth it and the Clamshack also makes the 5 months or Winter worth the wait.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed August 6, 2009

My boyfriend and I got lunch here while on vacation in Kennebunkport. Recommended to us by friends who summer in the area and they've found many awards including being named one of Travel & Leisure's top 10 lobster rolls.
They have a small seating area with benches that overlook the water. Lobster roll was $16 and delicious. Lots of other great seafood and side dish options.

Reviewed August 6, 2009

This place is a Kennebunkport staple.....it's been here forever....(my 92 yr. old grandmother remembers coming here back in the day) The clam chowder is amazing, the lobster roll just came from the shell....everything is so fresh. And my personal favorite....fried dough, flakey and bubbly....made like no other!!! Love it here!!!!!!!!!! But don't expect to eat roadside cheap....everything is ala carte....inc. fries....clam chowder 6.95, lobster roll $16.95 , fried dough $4.95.... you get the drift ....but worth every penny!!!!

Reviewed August 4, 2009

Like every first timer to Maine, I was chomping at the bit to get my first Lobster Roll. All the t.v. food shows and food mags have this sandwiched so hyped up that there is no way the actual sandwich could live up to the lofty aspirations of a first timer and.......it didn't. Don't get me wrong, it is very good at the Clam Shack, actually the best of the three places I tried. The problem is that all these food shows talk about "a whole lobster tail in a bun for $6" just does not exist, at least not in these parts. The sandwich was $15.99 and was good. The real deal is the fried scallops. The fried clams and shrimp are good too but the scallops are the real gem at the Clam Shack. Worth a stop for sure if your in the area. We also picked out live lobsters, they boiled them, and brought them home for dinner, twice. The lobsters were $9 a lb. Great deal.

Reviewed August 4, 2009

dont waste your money on other lobster rolls like i did, this was the third i had in maine and it was the best! i will never go anywhere else!