“Lobster Rolls”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We visited the Clam Shack on our recent visit to Maine, and really enjoyed the food. My husband I both had the lobster rolls and split an order of fries. While not as good as Red's and Bite into Maine, we did think the rolls were very good. They recommended getting them with both butter and light mayo, which was a twist we hadn't tried at some other places. We were lucky enough to arrive at a time where there wasn't a line; I don't know if I would have waited an hour for this lobster roll if there had been.

1  Thank Kari S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had free time in Kennebunk on a cruise excursion. We stopped into this restaurant by chance. So glad we did! The owner was a bit overwhelmed that afternoon with tourists coming in on two doors and did not take names so getting a table was confusing. Luckily we were seated quickly and snagged the last two lobsters in the place! The tide was very high and boats could not dock with their catch. No one informed the rest of the people waiting for tables, but no seemed upset as lobster rolls were still available for them.

We had soft shell steamed lobsters, corn on the cob, fries, and homemade fresh blueberry pie. The meal was fabulous! The service was terrible as we got the corn first, waited a long while for the rest of the meal to arrive, then got dessert but the lobster remains were not cleared away. I even asked the waiter to clean off the table but he was so busy he never did so I threw my napkin over my shells to cover it and pushed it back on the table. We were on vacation so it didn't matter too much as the lobster, corn and pie were sooo good. Price was really great for the quality of the food.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

A trip to Kennebunkport is not a trip unless one goes to the Clam Shack and has their Lobster Roll. Great buy for hte price, and great food for the palate.

1  Thank VermontStrong
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Well, this was my first ever lobster roll, so I can't really compare it to anything else. The line wasn't bad at all. We ordered three lobster rolls, since that's what they stated they won the "best of" contests for, and a large fry. We wanted to try the fried clams, but the price was crazy so we passed. We only waited about five minutes before getting our food. My stepmom, having had lobster rolls before, said she thought they were very good, although she prefers her lobster served warm. They were full of meat. I thought mine was good, but as I said, I have nothing to compare it to. The fries were not good. They lacked any type of salt or seasoning. They were expensive and we ended up tossing the majority of them. But, it's a neat dining experience.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I tried the Clam Shack over Columbus Day weekend. We had heard that their lobster roll had won a few "best of" contests and wanted to give it a try. Luckily when we stopped by it was not as crowded as usual. We were served quickly but found the price of the lobster roll substantially higher than most places and you had to purchase pickles and fries separately. The lobster roll was ok, but not fabulous. We have found better tasting and better priced lobster rolls that included pickles and fries at Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery Maine as well as The Beach Plum in Hampton Beach NH where they include pickles and chips. We spent about $40 for 2 lobster rolls and lemonade.