“A winner!”
Review of On The Marsh

On The Marsh
Reserve with OpenTable
On The Marsh is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 9
Transit: On the Marsh Bistro is a destination restaurant and can offer recommended taxi service in the local area serving the Hotels and Inns.
Description: On the Marsh Bistro resides in a converted barn and farmhouse circa 1800 on 3 acres of plantings alongside a tidal salt marsh. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, James Beard Presenter 2011, NECN Platinum Plate, Voted Most Romantic and one of the top ten restaurants in Maine. Great for European style Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners and Corporate Meetings. Try The Owner's Table or Our most Romantic Table #16, tucked away in a quiet corner. You will be dining in a captivating interior with Antiques, Collectibles and Art, all available for purchase. "It is around the table that friends and family best understand the warmth of being together..." Denise Rubin, Proprietress
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I had dinner here between Christmas and New Years, just as we did last last year. This evening it was freezing rain. As we exited our vehicle, John the manager approached us with an umbrella and cautions about the walkway. Once inside we were seated promptly at the "owners table," which has most comfortable chairs.

Drink orders were taken immediately, and my wife's custom ordered Cosmopolitan was expertly prepared. Appetizers, entrees and dessert were all exceptional, with the star of the show being my braised lamb shank served with parmesan risotto and greens. The meat was absolutely fall off of the bone tender and decadent.

As noted, we have eaten here on two occasions and both were superb. While there are more highly acclaimed restaurants in the area (including a not to be named five star establishment), this one has earned our highest praise. Don't miss it!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to have our anniversary meal at Bistro on the Marsh, a place we had been eyeing for some time. We were not disappointed. On a cold, snowy night and a full moon in view through the window, we couldn't ask for better atmosphere. Service was attentive and helpful, friendly but not intrusive. Our menu choices-- a potato-leek soup and a lobster bisque-- were creamy without being awash in cream. Yes, portions are not fast-food huge, but quite adequate, and our salmon and beef were prepared exactly as we had asked. A bit on the expensive side, but worth the price, we thought. Maine offers plenty of high-end dining options, and this is among the special ones.

1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked a reservation through open table and mentioned that we were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary and would like a private table, if possible. We were seated on the side, but pretty much in the middle of the room, which was a bummer :-( I really dislike feeling like I'm "on display" while eating. Especially when I'm on a date with my husband. Really was hoping for the quite table in a corner....alone. We did receive complimentary champagne upon our arrival, and our waiter was very friendly. Friends have raved about their organic chicken, but unfortunately, their was no poultry dish offered that evening. Being mostly chicken/fish eaters, we had a difficult time finding something to our liking on the menu that was worthy of the $30+ price tag. My husband decided to try the spinach ravioli, which he said was wonderful minus the over abundance of mushrooms, which is not his favorite. I ordered the seafood medley, which was very, very rich. Probably not my favorite dish, a little too heavy for me. Obviously, this is the type of place that you only visit for a special occasion due to the cost...Most dishes average $30+, and are on the smaller side. We both ordered signature drinks from the bar, and I'm not usually one to (ever) complain about the quantity of alcohol, but these two drinks could have fueled my SUV! lol...very, very, strong! Very tasty, just needed to add some water to them. Well worth the price tag and you only need one! Dessert was the best part of the night with my husband ordering the chocolate cupcake (devine!), and I ordering the transformed pumpkin pie dessert (decadent!). The shot of espresso was one of the best I've ever tasted. The ambiance inside is just beautiful. The man at the piano was playing christmas carols for prelude. Just beautiful. All in all, it was a nice meal. Would I visit again? Maybe. It was a very expensive evening, and I've had amazing food at other local restaurants for much less.

1  Thank Callily
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We dined on November 1st at this restaurant. WE don't mind pricey restaurants if deemed a good value. However, this was not the case. The price of the entrees for the amount of food was outrageous! I had an 8 oz. rib eye priced at $ 32.00, which came with a small portion of au gratin potatoes and a tiny portion of squash. I ordered the steak at medium rare, but it was over cooked. MY wife had scallops priced at $ 32.00 and came with four scallops. The total bill for four of us came to $ 300.00 we've had much better meals at chain restaurants. I would not recommend this restaurant and will never go back there.

2  Thank richardm03905
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I chose On the marsh for our anniversary dinner and every expectation was met. The staff was knowledgeable, courteous, and very friendly. The food was a wonderful array of flavors and textures and the atmosphere was cozy, quiet and relaxing.

We enjoyed our meal so much that only a wedding booked for the next day prevented us from returning a second night in a row.

1  Thank Mike M