“Thanksgiving excellence?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The White Barn Inn Restaurant

The White Barn Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Barn Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 67 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 9
Description: Fine American cuisine served in a fabulously converted barn. The White Barn Inn Restaurant is a AAA Five Diamond, Forbes 5 Star and Relais & Châteaux property.
Boston
“Thanksgiving excellence?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We dined at the White Barn for Thanksgiving for the third time this year. All was up to their high standard. The wait staff personality and service may have been the best part. The meal was excellent. I would say to stick to meat or foul and watch out for fish main courses as they tend to be bland.

1 Thank JeffKBoston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kennebunk, Maine
“Good food, WAAAAAYYY overpriced. Beware the "offerings"...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I went here for an anniversary dinner, and they have two menus--a 4 course menu and a tasting menu. We chose the four course menu, which costs $109.00 per person, not including tips, drinks, and gratuity. While the food was good, I feel I must warn about servers that come bearing offerings from the kitchen, saying "The chef would like you to try this...". Now, to me, in other restaurants it means compliments of the chef, so we agreed to try everything they brought to us. What they do NOT tell you is that each dish will be charged to you, so what would have been a $250.00 meal turned into $400.00. Needless to say we were stunned when we got our check, which did list all of the other offerings, so instead of causing a scene, we paid the bill and left, but will not go back. Frankly, you can get the same quality food for 1/3 the bill we paid.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank newenglandbeachbum
WBIInnkeeper, Manager at The White Barn Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

As our foundation here at The White Barn Inn is built upon a balance between warm hospitality and elegant precision, I was very concerned to read the review of your recent evening with us.

While Chef Cartwright does interject offerings throughout our customers experience via Amuse Bouche, Pre-Dessert Course, Post Dessert Petite Fours and Dessert Cakes, I can assure you there is no charge for these as they are part of our value to show our appreciation for joining us.

I would appreciate if you would contact me specifically so I may get the details of your evening and remedy this immediately.

Warmest Regards,

Benjamin Fraser
Restaurant Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Food, ambiance and service were all nearly perfect. Menu is quite large and creative. Yes, it is pricey but well worth it!

Visited November 2013
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“I felt like a princess!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Wow! My parents took me for my birthday. It was amazing. We got there at 5:30, and we were the only one in a side room overlooking a spectacular display of pumpkins and fall decorations. The service was amazing. Every course was incredible. I like he idea of the set price for the four course meal. It was expensive, but worth it for a special occasion. My mother had the Almond Crusted Local Halibut Filet which was very good, but my father and I had the Olive and Pine Nut Glazed Beef Tenderloin with Short Rib on Creamy Polenta, which was one of the best meals I ever had. (Top 5) and I just turned 56! The service was flawless, and I was surprised when they didn't give me one of those big steak knives, but both meats were so tender and flavorful that a dinner knife was perfect. Now for the desserts, my mom had the espresso soufflé, I had a pumpkin soufflé. There is something so special about the presentation of a soufflé. They put a Happy Birthday chocolate on mine, which I appreciated. My dad had the Blonde Chocolate Cheesecake, Salted Carmel Macaroon,Dulce de Leché and Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream. He said it was the best dessert he ever had, and that's saying something at 88 years old! My only complaint would be that there was a sculpture of a roadrunner made out of spoons and forks on our table, that was interesting, but I still prefer flowers. Now for the bad news, with tip, 3 people $550.00. Yikes!. My parents had two Macallan scotches each and I was responsible with only one Cosmo because I was driving. I still say it was worth every penny. (Especially because I didn't have to pay. :)

connecticut
“Lovely Restaurant With Good (not great) Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I planned a weekend in Kennebunkport specifically to dine at the White Barn. The restaurant is romantic and quiet but the food will not be remembered a month from now except for my husband's lobster appetizer. My beef carpaccio was served slightly frozen and was quite tasteless, my lobster bisque was good but there was not a lump of lobster in it and the main seafood dish was tasty but nothing special. $17 martinis seem overpriced for Maine - this is not New York City for heaven's sake! The service was a bit pretentious with tuxedoed servers queued up to to serve dishes individually as if each diner was Little Lord Fauntleroy. We will skip the White Barn Inn on our next trip to Kennebunkport and opt for an amazing restaurant on the water that we visited the prior evening.

• 2 of 5 bubbles