“Bistro at the White Barn”

The White Barn Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Barn Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 9
Description: Fine American cuisine served in a fabulously converted barn. The White Barn Inn Restaurant is a AAA Five Diamond, Forbes 5 Star and Relais & Châteaux property.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Let me just start by admitting that my wife and I do not enjoy formal dining. We have eaten at the White Barn in the past and although food is certainly exceptional, we just are not comfortable with the service. So when we learned that they were offering a bistro room and menu, we decided to give it a try. We went in jeans and it was fine. The food was excellent, but the prices were hardly bistro--that colored the experience.
If you go, just know what you are in for--great food at very high prices.

There are newer reviews for The White Barn Inn Restaurant

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Jonathan Cartwright's restaurant. We enjoyed a four course meal with impeccable service that where use to. Kinda makes you wish all restaurants staff should come here and learn the meaning of good service. The presentation from the chef throughout the meal and every dish was wonderfully ravished as well as our wines. Thanks Jon and staff

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Although the Bistro is supposedly the casual cousin of the White Barn, we expected the same quality of food when ten of us locals went there recently. I can't say that anyone was very pleased. The prices are ridiculous (average dinner per person was $47, and most of us had salad, pizzas, that sort of thing.) and the quality mediocre at best. No one sprang for the $25 Waygu burger, but why would you when you can get an exceptional Waygu burger at Walter's for $10 less. The pizzas were really unremarkable - dry and crackly and light on all toppings, including sauce. Salads were OK, but not memorable. Nothing stood out at all, which is not what we expected. No returns planned. We had all had the full White Barn Inn experience, and had really thought we'd enjoy it more. I must say, though, it is a very pretty room, and the service was lovely.

1  Thank Nancy K
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Jonathan Cartwright's restaurant.It was a four course meal with extras from the chef throughout the meal.Every dish was wonderfully prepared and the tastes were varied and the presentation was impeccable.We had a chance to tour the kitchen which was really great.It is a very busy kitchen with a very calm restaurant.Amazing!We would go back to Kennebunkport just for dinner here.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We went to The White Barn Inn Restaurant as a special night out with our mother close to Christmas. We had been there ten years earlier as children with her and our father. We lost our father 6 years ago and holidays are still difficult and we thought it'd be a special night to share together in his memory. I wrote this note in advance on the reservation page to the restaurant, hoping to get a nice table if at all possible. The way the restaurant treated us was far beyond my greatest expectations.

From the moment we entered the building, we were greeted warmly by everyone--from the person who opened the door, the coat check, the bartender, and most importantly, our waiter, and we were greeted by name even. The restaurant was magical, lit with many white lights and candles and home to the one of the most beautiful Christmas trees I have ever seen. A group from Bates College was there to sing for the holidays and these girls made our visit even more delightful, just to hear their voices during the holidays.

While we waited a moment to be brought to our table, we sat in the cozy bar and had a delicious glass of wine, poured promptly by the attentive and friendly bartender. The wine selection is extensive and featured many of my favorite international wines. It was a nice stop before the dinner.

We were told our table was ready and were brought to the absolute best table in the restaurant, sat right by the window, right in front of the beautiful tree. We met our waiter, Jason, who spent four hours that evening with us, talking to us about the food, our family, and anything else we subjected him to. He was kind, patient, knowledgeable and full of great information about the restaurant, the area and the food. He brought us everything we asked for and a few treats from the kitchen for us to try. He made all the right suggestions and made sure we were content the entire time. What he did best, though, was be thoughtful enough to welcome back my mother and make her feel special and wanted and remembered. I cannot thank him enough for that.

The food was delicious. We tried everything imaginable: scallops, lobster, parmesan ice cream, duck, rabbit, steak, cookies, flourless cake and more. Most noteworthy was the lobster—a plate full of perfectly cooked, sweet and buttery lobster on a bed of fettuccine to die for, as well as the smooth and rich chocolate cake and fresh, plump and well seared scallops. I’d pass on the parmesan ice cream in the future, but that’s only because I can now say I don’t like savory ice creams. :)

We were never rushed and closed down the restaurant close to midnight that night. Every member of the staff said goodbye to us and wished us a happy holiday as we left the building. Not one person looked unhappy to be there that late. What the White Barn Inn Restaurant did for us that evening was provide my family with a magical evening that gave us the opportunity to remember my father in a happy setting during the holidays. We are very grateful for that.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, especially for special occasions. They are truly wonderful and talented people.

3  Thank theheatherchronicles