“I would return in a heartbeat”
Review of The Beach House

The Beach House
Ranked #6 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2006

We just returned from a delightful stay at the Beach House in Kennebunk, Maine.
From the moment we walked in we felt more than welcome. Terry greeted us with a warm smile and showed us to our room with an ocean view and used this time to provide us with a lot of helpful information about the Inn and the area. We loved our room. The classical music that was playing when we walked in made it appear as it was ready for us and made it very homey.
Generally we found the atmosphere at the Beach House very warm and like a home away from home which is most certainly because of the staff (Terry and Ilonia are both very charming and friendly professionals) and also because of the house itself. Sitting in front of the fireplace during tea time with delicious cookies and still slightly warm scones we enjoyed the view to the ocean and watching the snow; what a perfect winter afternoon! And after we came back from dinner we where quite surprised by the complimentary Port and Brandy in the lobby area.
Unfortunately we could just stay for one night at the Beach House but before we hit the road we still had a very delicious breakfast with fresh croissants and muffins, fruit salad, a great homemade Granola, Quiche and cold cut meats and I especially enjoyed their outstanding teas.
I definitely can recommend the Beach House and I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank GiddingsFamily

USA
Reviewed February 2, 2006

My husband and I just returned from the most romantic trip of our lives- we decided that we were going to take a honeymoon after all and I called the Beach House on Sunday and the woman who answered was just so nice- we booked in for one night. When we arrived there was a fire in the fireplace, cookies and scones where set out and fresh hot coffee (my fav) was available it was so welcoming. After a brief tour of the sitting rooms the woman pointed out real arrow heads in the stones of the fireplace! It was so cool.
We took the elevator up to the fourth floor and walked down a short hallway to a surprise-she upgraded us to the most beautiful room in the hotel. The room had a window seat, a whirlpool bath and a nice antique table and chairs. My husband and I were so blown away by everything. We didnt know if we should watch the ocean or go sit by the fire- but realized we could do both in the sitting room. Once in the cozy couches we were given port and brandy and some cheese and crackers. In the morning we had a huge breakfast of quiche, muffins, croissonts, fruit, cereals and european sliced cold cuts. Not your average continental breakfast by any means.
I hope that we can return to the Beach House some day its just so perfect.

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cape Cod
Reviewed January 30, 2006

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at The Beach House our children gave us a two night stay as a gift. We were upgraded to an ocean view room on arrival and the staff was very pleasant and kind. We got to know one of the gals at the desk quite well she was from Germany and my husband and I had traveld throughout Europe so we enjoyed our chats withher. The inn is very clean and beautifully decorated- really upscale and confortable. If it wasn't for the ocean I would have guessed we were in a New York hotel. One of the other couples staying had a massage in their room,I guess that is a service they offer, but we didn't participate in that. It was a very lovely stay and I hope to return there again.

• Stayed: January 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed January 19, 2006

We went to the beach house last week and had a very nice time.
The staff was very friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. I was happy with our room- not overlooking the water- on the side of the inn but I could sit in the living room watching the ocean by a beautiful fire-my husband watched the game in the room.
All in all it was very nice and we would return again.

Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 5, 2005

My sister, infant niece, and mother met here for a long weekend and raved about the hotel. The staff was tremendously helpful - making reservations at great restaurants, having the highchair thoughtfully set up at the table we had been eating at regularly before we even came down for breakfast, etc. The afternoon tea and breakfast were lovely. We had the largest room in the hotel, which was spacious with a great view. The first night, they brought additional towels; the next day, there were the same # of towels brought, the third day we called 2x and the fourth day, we had to call again and wait. This was not a big deal, nor was the slight decline in housekeeping service each subsequent day (the tub was not exactly sparkling, the carpet didn't appear to have been vaccuumed, etc) UNTIL after checking out we realized that there was a $26/day housekeeping fee. I always believed that housekeeping was included in the overall room charge. To me, that is like charging a door opening fee in a cab. If they do charge a separate housekeeping fee, (1) they should certainly tell guests up front, (2) offer guests the chance to decline service, or (3) make certain that the housekeeping one is paying for is worth that $26 day, which it definitely was not. Unfortunately, this and the surprise $20/day charge for the rollaway bed turned what was supposed to be a great review into a not great review.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank LaFlummery
New Haven, CT
Reviewed July 10, 2005

What a wonderful Inn and location!
We had a wonderful weekend here, from the time Nora and Illona took our reservation to the moment we left, it was great.

The property is well maintained, beautiful flower beds compliment the rocky ocean landscape.
We met a wonderful couple and shared a nice conversation with them. They had stayed at the Inn 10 times and were all smiles.

There was something very special about being so close to the ocean, after breakfast (don't expect too much, very basic and a bit cramped) it was great to sit on the porch and enjoy the ocean and the sights.

One set back was a family with a very energetic child above us...I think she may be an Olympic hopeful, energy to bound at 6:30am...non stop jumping and running.
But thinking how difficult it is to travel with a young family, we opted to let it pass. We were that young once...

All in all, we would return to this location. The staff provided help in picking dinner locations and travel directions. We took in St. Annes Church on Ocean Ave. A beautiful stone church, like something out of a storybook! Word has it that Bush 41 attends service here.

We travelled Ocean Ave to Walker Point, very nice view with high security.
If you like piano bars, try the Kennebunkport Inn. Diane Charmaine will entertain you from 7-11...very nice local crowd to chat with.

Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

My husband and I stayed here during the first two nights of our honeymoon and I was a little disappointed by this inn. As I've stated in other reviews, I don't like the feeling of staying somewhere and not making at least a small connection with the innkeepers. We arrived late (our fault, admittedly) and found a key taped to the door to our room. The innkeepers never really approached you, but that is just a little pet peeve of my own. When I first made the reservation, I spoke to a woman on the phone who seemed to take note of the fact that this was the first part of our honeymoon (she repeated it twice and wrote it down), so I guess I was expecting some sort of mention of it at the inn. I was probably expecting too much, which is why I felt a little let down.

The rooms at the Beach House are not very exciting at all, unless you spend the big bucks to have a view of the water. The room and bathroom were very tiny, and the view looked into the window another house. I felt like I was staying overnight at home in the suburbs, rather than in beautiful Kennebunk, ME.

The water view from the dining area is pretty, which is a plus. I was told that the breakfast was great, but I was disappointed by the cold breakfast quiche. I had the feeling that a minimal amount of work went into the breakfast setup after they receive the food in the morning from the kitchen at The White Barn. Coffee urns were not refilled and juice pitchers were empty at times.

The main reason we stayed at this inn was because they offered a package that included a dinner at the White Barn Inn. Now THAT was most certainly worth the money. We could not afford both a dinner and to stay at the White Barn (too bad), but I am so glad we did have a meal there. The service was unbelieveable and we had the best waiter EVER here (even better than our favorite waiter at the French Laundry).

I did enjoy the bath products at the Beach House Inn. I plan on ordering additional Morton and Brown shampoo/conditioner after trying them during our stay. They are wonderful products!

Overall, I would suggest that people consider another inn during your stay in the area. We took a drive out to Cape Porpoise, and I realized that I would have greatly preferred to stay at the Tides Inn By the Sea. Maybe next time. After we left Kennebunk, we traveled to Camden, Maine and had a TERRIFIC experience at the Hartsone Inn. I've written a review for that inn on TripAdvisor as well.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank lifeonthejames
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
1 mi away
#3 of 8 in Kennebunk
Franciscan Guest House
Franciscan Guest House
#8 of 8 in Kennebunk

Been to The Beach House? Share your experiences!