“Maine seashore in its natural state”

Shorelands Guest Resort
Ranked #11 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you want to experience the Maine seashore in its natural state, this is the place for you. Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge property is right across the road, and the beach access is right through the marsh (on a paved road). Be aware that the private property owners who share the beach road are paranoid about enforcing the rules. Other than that, the shore experience couldn't be lovelier .
As for the Shorelands property, if your idea of a "resort" is the kind of place featured in Travel & Leisure magazine, you'll be sorely disappointed. OTOH, if you're looking for the feel of camping out without having to lug a tent and sleeping bags, this place is perfect. No frills, but clean and decent. With regard to a previous comment, yes, all rooms are nonsmoking and they mean it.
Another plus is that it's pet friendly. The owners have a dog and a couple of cats. The pet policy keeps the place clean and pleasant for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elsa_O

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Be carefull I knew going into the hotel that it was a non-smoking room! and two days later they charged my CC a $100 fee for the room smelling like smoke. I do in fact smoke but I smoked outside, and when my husband called he spoke with Sonja and she was very NASTY to him and hung the phone up on him. She told him the smell came off my clothing or came thru my window. The website says smoking outside only. I was not the only one smoking outside..so if I was a non-smoker and somebody was smoking outside I would get charged the fee because the smoke went into our window. I will never stay again. I will dispute this charge and they made my trip to Maine very disspointing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy S
Shorelands, Manager at Shorelands Guest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

All of our units are Smoke Free. It states this on our web site, on our room keys, and on the Non Smoking Decal on each door. When a guest checks in, they are also informed of this on the registration card, and they sign their name under a note stating "$100 cleaning fee will be charged for smoke in the room".
We are very careful about this charge, and only do so if truly necessary. (i.e. a light smoke smell from a smokers clothing is usually cleaned without a full charge)
In this case, the guests had all of that information, signed the registration, and were provided with a very pleasant Smoke Free room. Upon check out, my staff noticed that the room smelled very much like smoke. We had new guests checking in THAT day, who deserved a smoke free room. Which caused us to go into major spring cleaning mode. 3 of my housekeepers cleaned that room, including my head housekeeper. all were witness to the strong smoke smell in the room. i just spoke to the laundry person that was here that day, and she remembers washing all linens, blankets, and comforters from the room TWICE with odoban to be certain there was no residue left. It is very unhealthy for anyone to breath second and third degree smoke. Given all of these witnesses and actions (we really do not unnecassarily spring clean a unit in the middle of summer), i felt ok with charging our smoke cleaning fee, and informed the guests via email of this charge, to which they had signed their name!
I then received threatening phone calls from them about this, including telling me that he would give us this review!. This is all very unfortunate; however, based on this experience we have changed our Smoke Cleaning fee to $200.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were placed into a shack with neighbors all around us and two on top, unlike the cottage we saw in the photos. The washroom had a light hanging by one screw with a fan rattling above. If the other screw was in there would be no venting. The air conditioner did not work and the room smelled like mold. It was the most expensive place we stayed on our vacation, Quality inns and other hotels were like heaven compared to this place.

The pool was ok but there was a dead mole in it when we were there. We tried to cancel a third night after seeing the place, but they would not let us. It had to be done two weeks before coming there. We could not wait to leave.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank David W
Shorelands, Manager at Shorelands Guest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your time in reviewing us. We are sorry you did NOT voice your concerns to us while you were our guests. Possibly we could have helped, we most certainly would have tried to make your stay more comfortable. We are not in the city, so it is possible to encounter animals, since we are totally surrounded by Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge; however, i know that our pool was and is sparkling clear. We checked the bathroom fan, and it does need another fastener. we only noticed a regular fan noise.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

What you get: A reasonably priced no-frills one-room cottage with a stove and a refrigerator a 5-minute drive from Kennebunkport. There are approximately 15-20 of these cottages along in a semicircular driveway/parking lot. There’s an outdoor (unheated) pool and some bikes and other equipment you can borrow free of charge.

What you don’t get: Anything more than the basics – the room is not luxurious by any stretch and has a hodgepodge of furniture and items. It looks like it hasn’t been updated since the ‘70s and the bedding was showing its wear. It is also not, despite what the website may claim, a reasonable walk to the beach (I’m 29 and my wife and I walk frequently).

Bottom line: It’s pretty much the definition of “you get what you pay for.” If you are looking for a clean and safe place to crash, this is it. If you’re looking for something more, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott M

Thank you for giving us your time for these comments. we do appreciate this. I am a little confused about your comments regarding the walk to the beach. I am over twice your age and walk there regularly with my 9 & 10 year old grandchildren. It has never talken us more than 15 minutes, including visiting the horses along the way. Maybe you tried to walk to the Kennebunk Beaches instead of the private one across the street from us? we do provide our guests with a local map for orientation.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is our third year now. First of all, the beds are more comfortable than the ones at home! The full-size fridge (a first for us this year) came in handy. The people who clean the rooms and tidy the grounds are very hard-working. We couldn't let them in to clean as much this year due to the fact we had our dog with us. He loved the beach. See photo. The pool is great. Just walking distance to the ocean. Not far to drive to town. Only real criticism is the fact you have to park directly in front of your cottage which blocks your view....not a big problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brenda M
Shorelands, Owner at Shorelands Guest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you so much for using some of your time to give us this review. We do appreciate it very much, and hope to have you as our guests again.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel/ motel is a combination of owned condos and motel rooms. The best part of this place was the location. Walking distance to parson's beach, which is a beautiful quiet (away from the hustle and bussle of other kennebunkport eaches bc of limited parking) spot. We were in a double room which was teeny tiny. We really only slept there bc it was too small to sit and be comforatable. There was a nice pool, ping-pong table and barbeque area on the grounds. Overall, the beach was worth the small room.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Rosebud831
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed staying here even though I was apprehensive (see below). The cabin we had was very bright and sunny, there was a mini fridge, microwave and hotplate, which was nice. We had no issues with the housekeeping and the staff seemed pleasant. It was hot and the AC worked just fine. The location is very good - just a couple miles to Kennebunkport town center with all the restaurants. And I loved Parson's beach - a 10 minute walk away - very nice not crowded beach and I was allowed to bring my dog after 5 p.m. These are not fancy cottages with super lush furnishings. Just a place to crash in between beach and enjoying the outdoors. That said the bed was comfy.

What initially had me a little worried was the pet policy. It is on the website, but after booking we called and clarified about what the word "accidents" meant - #1 also, or just #2? I imagined it would be the latter, but it is both - basically you cannot walk your dog to do any of its business (even just #1) on any of the grounds period, you have to go across the road. I understand the reasons for this, but after I found this out I was worried because my dog is an older lady and I was not sure she would make it to the road before doing #1. My solution was to carry her to the area where dogs could be walked. It worked out fine. Carrying the dog would not have been necessary had we been staying at a cabin in the front by the road, but we were in the back a little distance from the road.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maggie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
King's Port Inn
#8 of 8 in Kennebunk
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Shorelands Guest Resort? Share your experiences!