“Go for sure but with an asterisk”
Review of Pedro's

Pedro's
Ranked #12 of 68 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having stayed in different private homes in Mexico on at least 9 occasions, I think I have a pretty good idea of how everyday Mexican food should taste. It does not need to be fiery hot, just well spiced. Pedro's fit the bill perfectly. The decor was funky and food arrived promptly and at the proper temperature. I started with the Chile Rellanos. The chile was mild but, again, well spiced. It was on a bed of black bean and corn salsa. Clearly the corn was charred on the grill and then taken off a cob. I don't care that the corn was probably frozen Green Giant since this is winter in Maine. The fact that some of the kernels were stuck together in rows and charred in the way they were was a very nice touch. Barb had the quesadillas which she pronounced the best she has ever had. I had a carnitas taco which had a sweetness which turned to heat and back to sweetness again.

We went early on a Saturday. By 6:00 the place was buzzing, literally. Conversation was a little difficult but this is not a place to go for a quiet, romantic dinner. It is a place to watch food go by and make a mental list for the next time and to people watch.

My asterisk? This is difficult to articulate but our server went from being overly attentive at the wrong time and under attentive when we needed him. That may have been the result of just being out of sync on both our parts rather than being symptomatic of the staff on a continuing basis. It just made me rate my experience as being very good, rather than excellent. Perhaps this is unfair on my part given the quality of the food. Well, restaurant owners, life is sometimes unfair.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My partner and I went there this evening for his birthday. We were excited to try a new Mexican restaurant as we are new to the area. First off no greeting at the door. Several staff walked right by us without saying a word. Finally we were seated and ordered our drinks. 20 minutes later the drinks arrived and our order was taken. Glasses were small and full of ice. The margurita came in a beer glass and for $7.50 that was outrageous. The food came out cold and bland. No salt on the table. We attempted to get the attention of our waiter not to complain about the food but to order another drink. He floated around to each table without even a glance at us. Now he was friendly , great looking and attentive when we caught his attention but to see the bill folder stuffed down the back of his pants was an offensive site. We joked that Gordon Ramsey would have a field day with this mess. I do hope the owner reads this review. Waste of money and our time.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I went to Pedro's when it first opened two years ago and was really disappointed. I went again this weekend and it was great. I had the special pork stew for my entre and it was a very generous portion, well prepared and nicely presented. We also shared the nacho's and loved them too! It was a pretty, snowy day and the place was full but the service was just fine. Happy to add it to my list of regular places to visit, especially in the winter months in Maine when so many places are closed for the season.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have driven by Pedro's countless times but finally tried it, for lunch 2 weeks ago, with a friend who grew up in Arizona and knows Mexican food. It was excellent, everything was fresh, delicious, well prepared and nicely served. We will be back!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Totally the right decision, but honestly my first thought was really, Mexican in Maine - how good can it really be - honestly I absolutely cleaned my plate and that is not something that I do often. My husband also thought it was a great meal. I had the Maine Street Taco's and they were just fresh, flavorful and absolutely wondeful. I will add the drinks also deserve 5 starts, again fresh ingredients and tasted wonderful. I would absolutely visit this resurant again.