“what happened?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mei Le Wah

Mei Le Wah
Ranked #52 of 67 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kennebunkport
“what happened?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

New ownership / new chef?

I am frequent visitor here. Love the Wah.
Actually have been pretty impressed with the food (especially for Chinese in Maine) within last couple years, not so much before that.
But I was just there a couple days ago and the food was ok at best. It wasn't bad just not the same as before/usual. I had heard there are new owners just within the past month maybe? That might explain it. I usually love the egg-drop soup but his time it was starchy, lacked taste. We ordered 3 dishes, and they all had the same brown sauce. Before at least one of the dishes had a white sauce and it was delicious but not anymore.
I hope this is just a little snag and it gets better. Still can't go wrong with the Scorpian Bowl

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Chris B

Arundel, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I really feel bad for the person who claims to have had such poor service. My husband and I frequent Mei Le Wah quite frequently. We have never been disappointed. Our service has always been good. Based on other Asian Restaurants in the area, Mei Le Wah beats them all.
If service was as bad as the previous review mentioned, I would have asked to see the owner or the Manager. Complaining does no good unless you speak the proper people.

I hope Mei Le Wah is here for a long time.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank P C
kennebunk
“And the prize for poor service goes to...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We've been visiting Mei Le Wah off and on for the past 10 years, and we've learned which dishes they prepare well. We confine our ordering to the reliable dishes, such as the barbecue spare ribs (always quite nice). Since we order only within a narrow selection of dishes, we don't have much to say about the food. The service, on the other hand, was beyond terrible. There was one party of two there when we two arrived, and another couple arrived about 10 minutes later -- so, not real crowded. We asked for tea before we ordered; had to ask twice more, by which time we were in the middle of our second course. It was brought with a single juice-size glass. Asked for a cup and got an argument from the server, but she eventually brought 2 teacups and set them down stacked together, quite huffily. When we placed our food order, we asked for hot oil to go with our dumplings; had to ask twice more for that after they were served, and it came with no spoon. After that, we didn't bother asking for any more condiments, although we would have liked some. Server was busy eating their own lunch at the bar, didn't seem to have time for us. Too much aggravation for a simple light lunch. Lastly, the server ran our credit card for the meal total (we guess), but never showed us the tally; pretty unprofessional. Not likely to bother returning soon...

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Saugus, Massachusetts
“The food I get has always been good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I went here this past Saturday and got beef teriyaki, very good. Then I got my main dish and it was excellent. I have been here a few times this year, all my visits have been good.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
New Hampshire
“OK food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food is OK for an asian restaurant. They doo a bigger bar business. There isn't much of a selection for asian food in this area.

Visited May 2013