“Best hidden gem”

Ranked #7 of 70 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A new restaurant brought to you from local gal, Merrilee Paul and her husband David Ross that will feature the best of the area's resources. Relying on local farms, fisheries, and a commitment to the community, 50 Local is downtown Kennebunk's newest neighborhood establishment. 50 Local will feature an outstanding approachable menu containing many of the traditional dishes offered in French Bistros with an American take, served in a comfortable, elegant, and friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We've been visiting Maine for the last 16 years and we have never eaten in Kennebunk. Tonight was a real treat. We ate at 50 Local with our 2 teenage children. The food was delicious and the decor was lovely. We had a very pleasant evening. We had the ricotta starter which was made in house and was delicious with the different toppings. My husband ate the chicken, I had a delicious pistachio crusted halibut that was stolen by my daughter and my son had the fried chicken. Everyone was pleased with the food. The menu changes according to the availability of the food locally but everything tasted fresh and was delicious. A great evening in all. We will certainly return!
Looking forward to it!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We visited 50 Local on the recommendation of a friend at Hidden Pond and she was right on to steer us there, it is not a large place and very cozy with a great view of the main drag in Kennebunk. The food was marvelous and creative without being presumptuous. The fresh and local flavors were wonderful. When we return to ME, we will also be certain to return to 50 Local.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I live in Kennebunk and have eaten at a vast majority of the area restaurants. 50 Local is among the best. In fact, it is THE best restaurant in the town of Kennebunk. Fresh, local ingredients, an extremely talented chef and exceptional servers make 50 Local stand out. Everything, starting with the house-made focaccia to the coffee served with dessert, is fabulous. Chef David knows how to compose the perfect plate of food - beautiful and delicious. The service and the food are consistently outstanding.

1  Thank Scooter&Neanie
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The service was amazingly friendly and warm. Being not-quite-the-start of the season in Kennebunk we were one of three parties the whole night on a Wednesday.The crispy farm egg salad was just beautifully done with uber-fresh garden greens, perfectly dressed in a very flavorful caesar style dressing that did not overpower the produce, but harmonized the dish as a whole. Just perfect. We wished could have been so positive about the entrees we ordered. My gnocchi with duck confit was simply under seasoned and bland. A pity because the gnocchi were light and otherwise very well executed. I added salt and pepper (kind of a bummer to have to do at such a promising restaurant) and it was better. My wife's gnocchi with fish had the same issue. The use with seasoning for a Chef, especially the use of salt is probably the most important skill a Chef can have. This was not a winner, unfortunately.

The menu also did not include some of the more interesting choices found on the sample menu on their site, like braised goat and rabbit, and we found the range of options to be fairly limiting. It's not a big menu,I get it, but if you're going to go that way, you need to intrigue with the choices you have, especially with the foodie crowd. The beignets were, and this is not overstating, orgasmic. Crispy, right out the oil, light as a cloud and probably the best doughnut I've ever had, hands down. So, 50 Local, I wish we could give you the nod, but a great salad and a killer beignet does not a great meal make.

If I lived in the area, I would probably give 50 Local another shot. They have some great reviews and I believe the Chef and his wife DO know how to cook and run a restaurant. Consistency is one of the marks of a great restaurant, no matter who is in the kitchen. To make matters worse, we ate at at Earth the next night and it blew us away making 50 Local a distant memory if not a great one.

1  Thank mcobrien
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Great restaurant in downtown Kennebunk. Everything was fresh and the manager was very friendly and knowledgeable. The menu changes daily, so there is always freshness and variety. Everything is made to order, so you can order anything how you want it. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Shimone S