“An AWESOME EXPERIENCE!! They made me feel like queen!.”

The Spa At Rivers Edge
More attraction details
Owner description: A favorite spa for 11 years. Full service day spa and complete hair salon, steam baths, overlooking the Kennebunk River. Dr Murad skin care, The full line of Bare Mineral makeup and Lalicious, OPI, Creative. Kevin Murphy, Jellua, Eufora and Loma hair products. Packages available, A favorite for Bridal and Private parties. Open 7 days a week at 9 am year round. 10 min from Kennebunkport. Close to Ogunquit, Wells and Biddeford.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The staff was wonderful! The girls were very proffesional & their apperance was stunning. Not the normal drab apperance I have experienced at other spas. I was greeted at the door by a big smile by a receptionest her name was Karlee. She then seated me in a beautiful waiting area where there were beverages & snacks. Then I was escorted to the changing area by the other receptionist who's name is Nicki, where I was given a comfy robe & slippers to wear. My therapist Audrey then escorted me to a room where the view from the window was beautiful. Audrey asked me very specific questions & listened so that she would know how to help me . It was the most relaxing masagge I have ever received. I definately will go again when vacationing in that area. If you live in the area don't put it off , as you will truly be missing out on a wonderful experience.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Spa at Rivers Edge is a peaceful haven with an extensive range of spa treatments available. Very clean, beautiful décor and the staff are professional and helpful. Great pedicures if that is something you are looking for. I am very happy to refer my guests to this spa and am hoping to fit a massage in myself soon.

1  Thank 1802House
spaatriversedge83, Owner at The Spa At Rivers Edge, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you so very much for your kind words. We always enjoy your guests and we hope to see you soon for some much needed relaxation.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Well let me start with the positives. I called 3 months in advanced to book my 1st spa day and asked if they could accommodate my allergies, and replied that they could. The spa is very clean and beautifully decorated. Some of the staff are great at making you feel welcome...

Now to the horror part of my story. I had never done a spa day before, I had just done each of these services separate. I booked this place blindly based on reviews. We spoke mostly through e-mail months prior and they sent my itinerary that way with the time of my services. A month before we were going on our vacation our reservation was changed and so I asked if they could accommodate a different date in the same week, which they did. I was booked on Friday and we were located in an area with no reception for the whole week. I saw the salon had called on Wednesday, I called back, as there was no voicemail.

I spoke with a woman who confirmed my appointment and she asked for my lunch order. I confirmed that I needed to be there at 9:15 and she replied yes. I got to the spa before 9 am, but knew they did not open til 9, so I waited in my car til 9:14 and then walked in the door. The receptionist looked at me and asked if she could help, I explained who I was and that she stated in a condescending tone "YOUR LATE!" I could not believe this,as I was never told to be early. I was so taken aback I stated to cry, she apologized for embarrassing me, but that she had tried calling several times to let me know that I needed to be there 20 minutes early and that it was her job (required by the owner) to tell someone if they are late, because it will affect their services. I composed myself and went into my 80 minute massage.

The girl's hands were freezing, when I stated that she said sorry and kept going (in other spas, they try to accommodate or give you a heads up that you will freeze.) She was able to turn off the AC, as I was freezing. The whole time I was upset by what had happened and how I was greeted, it was very hard to even enjoy it and then my 80 minute massage ended up being on 70 minutes, because I was "late".

So when I went to my facial and was asked how the massage was, I stated "it was short" and she stated, "probably because you were late." Now I felt like the whole salon was treated me like a little kid who had done something wrong. I continued with the service which was a facial, and it was great and I felt much better.

Then when I ate lunch I asked to speak with the receptionist. I told her about the issue with phone reception and that I felt very attacked by her greeting. She replied that could understand, but the owner requires her to let people know they are late and that had left a message to confirm the appointment and let me know the time to come in. She then stated that she would have the owner come and talk with me. I agreed. The owner was busy and stated she would come after my services were completed.

I went to my mani/pedi. This girl was fabulous, took her time, made me feel right at ease and relaxed I finally was enjoying my experience fully. Towards the end the manager came over and said "You wanted to see me, I have an appointment, so we can talk now" It was quite rude, she also then rushed the woman to finish my nails so I could go get my hair done and she would talk with me on the way. When the nail specialist asked if my nails could dry the owner said "they'll dry while she is doing her hair." She then introduced me to the hairstylist, who then said, very rudely she could not take me because she had an appointment in 20 minutes. However it was only a blow-out that took 10 minutes, and her customer had not even come. I was feeling even more unwelcome.

The owner then proceeded to say that people are always arriving late which affects other peoples appointments and that she could not understand why I would come at the time of my appointment "because anyone would know to come in early" and asked if I had ever even had a massage before. Her tone was condescending and rude and she not once apologized for how her receptionist made me feel or the fact that I was being punished for something I did not do, she continued to put it on me, when I stated that putting it in the e-mail would have been helpful, she replied that that was what the confirmation phone calls were for, the one I called back on.

When I mentioned this, she stated that the other receptionist, must have thought I already received my confirmation call, she had an excuse for everything. I was so upset that as I got my hair done I couldn't even enjoy it. I then went to the receptionist and told her I was ending my services. She asked me what had they done, this being the woman who yelled at me in the 1st place. I cancelled my makeup, which they told me they would not charge me for, thought they normally would and then tried to charge me for the full 80-minute massage I had not received. I told them I would pay for the amount I received. The receptionist, then told me how they had bent over backwards for my allergies, and when I had cancelled (a month in advance) how difficult it was to change the day of the week as if I was a nuisance and ungrateful. Sadly despite the beauty and some great workers, the owner has no sense of customer service and I would not go there again...

7  Thank bmr8503
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I got the best haircut of my life! Feel like I need to make a trip back to KBP every few months just to see Lisa!

2  Thank Sarah A
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have a second home in the Kennebunks and I try to go as often as possible to The Spa At Rivers Edge. I especially like to go in the winter when I can see the river that is ice covered with spots broken through enough to see the water rushing by. Very peaceful during a massage or pedicure. I like VERY deep tissue massages and Althena is terrific. The robes and changing area are very comfortable and make the overall experience excellent.