“Nice Tavern”

Duffy's Tavern & Grill
Ranked #15 of 67 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wells, Maine
“Nice Tavern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Overlooks the recently renovated Route 1 bridge. Nice views, friendly staff a good food.

Kennnebunk, ME
“Want a delicious baked haddock?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Have avoided Duffy's because of the construction of the new bridge but we went this week and had a delicious baked haddock with baby carrots and mashed potatoes.

• Visited December 2011
boston
“I cannot go here anymore because of the hostess”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

I have eaten here over 10 times. The food is what you would expect for pub food, buffalo fingers, burgers, etc. It's not great food- it's decent; when I go, I know what to expect and it's a good place to bring kids.
The older hostess has always been horrible. However after this visit I cannot give my money to this restaurant anymore.
I went with a party of 6 plus a highchair. When we got there it was busy. I went to the host stand to leave our name and she looked at me and said "I guess I'll have to start a wait list". She took our name, I asked how long and she said "I just can't answer you. You know you are a pretty big party". I pushed her a little bit for a time frame (since her job is to give time frames) and she said 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes she came over to our party and said something was opening up in the bar side it wouldn't be long.
After another 15 minutes, I ventured to look on the bar side and there was nothing even close. I have worked in many a restaurant, as hostess, and waitress. It really is not difficult to give a approximation of time frame for a wait. In addition, it is not that difficult to be KIND to your guests. Why do you have to be so short, with horrible body language, telling people to basically get out.
I went back to the hostess after a 1/2 hour and asked her how long, as we needed to either be seated or leave because our toddler wasn't going to wait any longer. I said I don't really see anything opening up in the bar side, and her reply "yeah, like I said you're a big party and I can't really tell". WHAT!!!! Are you that bad at your job? Not only is she bad at her job, but every time I have been there she has been rude. I cannot understand how she is employed at this restaurant. I am waiting to find out she is someone's mother and they have no choice but to employ her.
The sad part is I will never go back because of their hostess. I will take my business to other local pubs: Alison's, or Sebego.

• Visited October 2011
4 Thank suziefay
saco, Maine, USA
“Great food every Time!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

I frequently eat at Duffy's Tavern and have always enjoyed my meal. It is the most consistent dining experience I have found. The menu has plenty of variety and the portion sizes are very generous. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and the staff is always friendly. I can honestly not think of a meal I would rather have than their French dip sandwhich with sweet potato fries, if your in the mood for seafood, their Fish N chips is the the best I have tasted.

I also love the fact that Duffy himself has made his way to my table on almost every occasion I have eaten there to make sure that the food is good and that I am enjoying my visit. If you have not been to Duffy's you are missing out!

• Visited July 2011
Punta Cana
“From bad to worse - avoid!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

I remember when Duffy’s Tavern & Grill in Kennebunk opened up. The food was OK when it first opened. Now it is probably the worst food in town. That is making a statement as there are tons of restaurants in Kennebunk and Wells. I will give you an example.

It is a summer Friday PM and all places are filled up. Except Duffy’s. It is empty, except for another table and some people drinking at the bar. I reminded my party about the last time we were here, last summer. It was bad. Nevertheless, they were hungry and tired of driving around. The good news is that we will never spend money there again.
I ordered the special, steak and cheese with mushrooms/onions. And onion rings. The sub was tiny for a submarine sandwich. It was extremely hot to the touch and I had to let it sit for 10 minutes to try it. As an accomplished cook, I realized the internal temp was only attainable from using a microwave. If the extremely hot middle was cooked in the conventional way, the entire portion of meat would have been burned and totally charred, inedible. Microwave cooking was used for steak and cheese. The first bit, well, almost made me vomit. It tasted like the meat was in a freezer and came out just to celebrate a birthday. It was horrible, old and rancid. Of course, it was so greasy that the bread fell completely apart after I first picked it up. The onion rings were the same rings we get from our grocers freezer. Pre-processed crap.

The burger my company ate was dried out and tasted bad. The Reuben another guest had was inedible and she only took a few bites. We ate the fries and rings ‘cause they were the least gross. Everything we had was just pre-processed food the place bought and heated up. Zero creativity or taste. And it was very old. You can’t sell months old beef to customers. No one took more than a few bites and we left. A couple near us ordered fried scallops and you could smell them throughout the entire restaurant. I think they were celebrating a birthday as well, as a bad fish smell filled the air. When construction workers building the bridge nearby don’t eat there, stay away. In fact, run.
I don’t expect this place to be in business long, as many locals feel the same way. Don’t eat the food, as you might get sick. Their portions have become dangerous from a health perspective. And they keep getting worse as each season passes. It’s too bad, as the building is beautiful. The food is disgusting, however. Maybe I’ll open a real restaurant (where people actually prepare dinners and don’t simply heat up processed products). There is a need for quality food, but even an average restaurant will be very successfully during the summer months.

• Visited July 2011