“Time out of time”
Review of The Keeper's House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle Au Haut
The Keeper's House
Ranked #1 of 1 Isle Au Haut B&B and Inns
Brunswick, Maine
“Time out of time”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Though I am a bit late in writing this review (we were there in July), the memory of our week at the Keeper's House glows warmly in my heart. There we rested, explored, walked, hiked, rode bikes, read, ate wonderful food which accommodated our fussinesses, met and visited with wonderful people and saw some of the most amazing sunsets ever. Owner Marshall and caretaker Tracy and doggies welcomed us warmly at the dock,. Caretaker Julie was so warm and attentive to ensuring our needs were met. The Keeper's Room was lovely, with a view of the lighthouse. We felt like we'd found our new family by the time we left, and miss them still. If you are looking for an unusual, out-of-the-ordinary gentle adventure, where you can unplug from wifi and cellular connection and be as active or inactive as you'd like, visit the Keeper's House Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jerielle

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I would like to have The Keeper's House all to myself, but I suppose that's neither fair nor economically viable.

Imagine it: candle light, stunning sunsets, freedom from phones/wifi/electricity, fantastic food, warm and gracious hosts, and the most amazing scenery in the world. Yes, it's remote, but that's the point.

Spend the first day sitting in an Adirondack chair, by the lighthouse, in the sun, and let your mind settle. Let them feed you amazing food at intervals.

The second day, explore the island. Whether within the Park or outside of it, there's great hiking on Isle au Haut. The town itself has some wonderful little shops. The small grocery store has a selection of wine that will astonish you. Check out the gift shop, the Lobster Lady's ice cream, and do not miss Black Dinah Chocolates (what is a high-end chocolatier doing on a remote island in Maine?). You will have to fight me for the right to eat the Blueberry-Black Pepper truffles.

If you expect to be entertained, Isle au Haut may not be for you, . For me, The Keeper's House, and the island, was Nirvana.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Oil House, which made for a perfect, private little world of my own. If you want th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lioncloud
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Though we live only 15 miles as the crow flies from Isle au Haut, it is one of our favorite day trips. We had always wanted to spend a couple of days there to explore and when we heard the Keeper's House was back in business we booked a weekend in the Oil House. We were dropped off at the Keeper's dock on a Friday afternoon and shown our digs at the Oil House. Very, very cute, with a clean and funky privy. No sun shower as advertised on their website, but we were free to use the two Inn baths for showers. Our weekend goal was to explore parts of the island we had never to, mostly outside of Acadia Nat'l Park. After we unpacked Tracy showed us the bikes and filled us in on the roads and some hikes we could do along the way. We circumnavigated the island on bikes that afternoon, what fun! Boom Beach and Long Pond were stops along the way. Sauteed scallops were on the menu that night and were expertly prepared by Chef Eileen. After a wonderful breakfast on Saturday we headed to town on bikes then walked up Champlain Mtn to see the whale skull someone had schlepped to the top. There were distant views of Stonington at the end of an easy meandering walk up the 'mountain' through various levels of vegetation from huckleberry to pitch pine then deciduous mixed with spruce. On to lunch (BLTs, trail mix, apple and cookie packed by the Inn) at boom beach then down to Long Pond for a swim. Saturday dinner was duck breast and delicious - I was careful not to over eat as I had done the night before because everything is sooo good. I had been a little worried about the close quarters with other guests, but those worries were unfounded. Everyone was friendly, relaxed and fun. The staff was the same! A big thank you to Marshall, Juile, Tracy, Eileen and the young local girls on staff (sorry I can't remember your names!). Sunday we caught the 12:15 boat home from the Keeper's dock after hiking Seal Trap trail in the morning. It all went too fast and we were very sad to leave and next time would do 3 nights.

Room Tip: The oil house is great - off by itself with its own deck with view of the dock, it has a privy sever...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank scgiant
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Unforgettable experience. Kind, friendly hosts. World class cook. Period inn with character and charm. Beautifully located by the lighthouse on the tip of an Atlantic island off the coast on Maine that also hosts parts of Acadia National Park. Et in Arcadia ego.

1 Thank GlobalTravellerJEM
Tabernacle, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the keepers house to celebrate our 20 yr anniversary. This was the last leg of our week stay in Maine after having spent several days in Bar Harbor and I must say we saved the best for last.
We stayed in the old oil house which was beyond perfect. We loved having candles for lighting, having headlamps to wear to see to walk to the Outhouse and we loved having our own private deck with an amazing view.
The food was amazing! Dinner started with appetizers, shrimp bisque soup, salad. Then came duck with fresh green beans and quinoa and desert. Breakfast was great and they even pack you a great bagged lunch.
At first when I saw the price I thought it was way to high. I quickly realized that if I figured out how much it would cost me to eat out breakfast,Lunch and dinner plus the price to rent a bike or row boat (which are included with your stay here) then it really isn't that expensive at all. Its more of an all inclusive instead if a bed and breakfast . if you want to de-stress and relax and enjoy the beauty and nature and good food then you will love this place. If you are looking for a four seasons with wifi for your iPad and a flat screen tv to watch your baseball games then don't bother this isn't for you!

1 Thank sstradling
Tabernacle, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We've been coming to Isle au Haut for many years, we love the island and know how life is here. This was our first time at the Keeper's House however. The food is amazing. Breakfast, lunch and dinners were astounding (I love to cook, we qualify as certified *foodies* and every meal was perfect). But be aware, life on the Island is rustic. We stayed in the Oil House and appreciated the privacy it afforded. However... there is no electricity and visiting the privy requires a short walk. Yes, it's a privy but the artwork and craftsmanship on display will fail to diffuse the objections of only the most privileged and spoiled (if you expect a hairdryer or wifi, please don't bother)

It's a unique experience that you simply can't get anywhere else for any price. Bicycles and a rowboat (a Whitehall, no less) are available for exploring both land and sea.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 11 in Southwest Harbor
Berry Manor Inn
Berry Manor Inn
#1 of 8 in Rockland

Been to The Keeper's House? Share your experiences!