The Keeper's House
Lindenwood Inn(Southwest Harbor)(Great Value!)
$169
$289
$225
Preferred Hotels
Kimball Terrace Inn(Northeast Harbor)
$90
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn(Rockport)(Great Value!)
$119
$107
Glen Cove Inn & Suites(Rockport)(Great Value!)
$114
Island View Inn(Rockport)(Great Value!)
$119
Ledges By the Bay(Rockport)(Great Value!)
$114
Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant(Blue Hill)(Great Value!)
$148
$125
Claddagh Motel & Suites(Rockport)(Great Value!)
$89
Glenmoor by the Sea(Lincolnville)(Great Value!)
$99
All reviewsmail boathomemade cookieskeeper's houseother guestsprivate deckno electricityrocky shoreexplore the islandpacked lunchstayed nightsnational parkoillighthousemarshallferrylandingcoast
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Though we live only 15 miles as the crow flies from Isle au Haut, it is one of our favorite day trips. We had always wanted to spend a couple of days there to explore and when we heard the Keeper's House was back in business we booked a weekend in the Oil House. We were dropped off at the Keeper's dock on a Friday afternoon and shown our digs at the Oil House. Very, very cute, with a clean and funky privy. No sun shower as advertised on their website, but we were free to use the two Inn baths for showers. Our weekend goal was to explore parts of the island we had never to, mostly outside of Acadia Nat'l Park. After we unpacked Tracy showed us the bikes and filled us in on the roads and some hikes we could do along the way. We circumnavigated the island on bikes that afternoon, what fun! Boom Beach and Long Pond were stops along the way. Sauteed scallops were on the menu that night and were expertly prepared by Chef Eileen. After a wonderful breakfast on Saturday we headed to town on bikes then walked up Champlain Mtn to see the whale skull someone had schlepped to the top. There were distant views of Stonington at the end of an easy meandering walk up the 'mountain' through various levels of vegetation from huckleberry to pitch pine then deciduous mixed with spruce. On to lunch (BLTs, trail mix, apple and cookie packed by the Inn) at boom beach then down to Long Pond for a swim. Saturday dinner was duck breast and delicious - I was careful not to over eat as I had done the night before because everything is sooo good. I had been a little worried about the close quarters with other guests, but those worries were unfounded. Everyone was friendly, relaxed and fun. The staff was the same! A big thank you to Marshall, Juile, Tracy, Eileen and the young local girls on staff (sorry I can't remember your names!). Sunday we caught the 12:15 boat home from the Keeper's dock after hiking Seal Trap trail in the morning. It all went too fast and we were very sad to leave and next time would do 3 nights.

Room Tip: The oil house is great - off by itself with its own deck with view of the dock, it has a privy several steps away and showers can be had in the Inn. The Garret on the third floor of the Inn would be my second choice. The three rooms on the second floor are just fine too, but I prefer a bit of distance from others. There are two shared baths on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scgiant
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Unforgettable experience. Kind, friendly hosts. World class cook. Period inn with character and charm. Beautifully located by the lighthouse on the tip of an Atlantic island off the coast on Maine that also hosts parts of Acadia National Park. Et in Arcadia ego.

1  Thank GlobalTravellerJEM
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the keepers house to celebrate our 20 yr anniversary. This was the last leg of our week stay in Maine after having spent several days in Bar Harbor and I must say we saved the best for last.
We stayed in the old oil house which was beyond perfect. We loved having candles for lighting, having headlamps to wear to see to walk to the Outhouse and we loved having our own private deck with an amazing view.
The food was amazing! Dinner started with appetizers, shrimp bisque soup, salad. Then came duck with fresh green beans and quinoa and desert. Breakfast was great and they even pack you a great bagged lunch.
At first when I saw the price I thought it was way to high. I quickly realized that if I figured out how much it would cost me to eat out breakfast,Lunch and dinner plus the price to rent a bike or row boat (which are included with your stay here) then it really isn't that expensive at all. Its more of an all inclusive instead if a bed and breakfast . if you want to de-stress and relax and enjoy the beauty and nature and good food then you will love this place. If you are looking for a four seasons with wifi for your iPad and a flat screen tv to watch your baseball games then don't bother this isn't for you!

1  Thank sstradling
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We've been coming to Isle au Haut for many years, we love the island and know how life is here. This was our first time at the Keeper's House however. The food is amazing. Breakfast, lunch and dinners were astounding (I love to cook, we qualify as certified *foodies* and every meal was perfect). But be aware, life on the Island is rustic. We stayed in the Oil House and appreciated the privacy it afforded. However... there is no electricity and visiting the privy requires a short walk. Yes, it's a privy but the artwork and craftsmanship on display will fail to diffuse the objections of only the most privileged and spoiled (if you expect a hairdryer or wifi, please don't bother)

It's a unique experience that you simply can't get anywhere else for any price. Bicycles and a rowboat (a Whitehall, no less) are available for exploring both land and sea.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple