“Hidden Gem - Incredible Teacher and Idyllic Retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Island Falls
Sewall House Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Island Falls B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newton, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem - Incredible Teacher and Idyllic Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I don't normally write reviews and this is actually my first one on Trip Advisor. I cannot speak more highly of Donna and The Sewall House. A long journey from Boston was well worth the visit this past weekend. It is incredibly quiet both inside the house and out. The accommodations are lovely, clean and comfortable. I feel clean inside my body - I have been eating delicious home cooked vegetarian food, completely nourishing and satisfying. There is a beautiful sauna that you can use after Yoga or when the studio is not in use. As a Yoga practitioner and Teacher, I learned an incredible amount from Donna. She is vivacious, full of life, knowledgable, patient, kind, genuine and so accessible. Completely heart-centered, her classes, her wisdom and home are a rare treat in a modern world. I could say more, but instead I will recommend that you simply visit and spend a few days there. Meet Donna. She is a lighthouse of grace and wisdom.

Room Tip: I stayed with a friend. We selected the room downstairs next to the dining room as it has its own ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you so much for this kind review..Sewall House thanks you from the bottom of our hearts! We hope you visit again:)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I went with a group of seven, arranged by my yoga teacher. He'd been there several times and wanted to share the bliss! It's a magical place in a gorgeous setting with the kindest hosts you could imagine. Donna and Kent pull out all the stops when it comes to making their guests feel at home. Donna is an amazing yoga teacher and so generous with her knowledge and time. Also enjoyed the meditation sessions and Kent's live music and singing. The home is warm and inviting. The rooms are decorated with love and the beds are very comfortable. Kent is an amazing massage therapist and fabulous chef. Meals were served family style in a lovely dining room where we had a lot of laughs and got to know each other. Delicious gluten-free and vegan meals were provided for those w/special diets. Such a cozy, homey environment, we all left feeling refreshed, happy, well-fed, and touched by our hosts' kindness and generosity. There's plenty to do nearby, including canoeing/kayaking on the lake, hiking and there's even a golf course. It's tranquil and a great antidote to the everyday grind. We all loved it and can't wait to return!

1 Thank Patty_W33
Hightstown, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I'd visited Sewall House several times as a guest but recently used the space to house a group retreat for my small group of 6 guests traveling together. As always, the environment was conducive to a relaxed and introspective experience. The food was phenomenal! And the yoga instruction was inspired and uplifting. As a group leader I found it exceptionally easy to work with Kent & Donna on the plans from start to finish and they worked very hard to make everyone feel at home during their stay. I'm looking forward to bringing more groups here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you Brian for posting this review! We would love to have you and another of your wonderful groups return any time! We enjoyed having you- and so glad you enjoyed it too! We look forward to your next return- solo or with group in tow!
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Donna and Kent are amazing hosts, I felt as if I was visiting family. Sewall house is such a wonderful and historic house and there's something interesting everywhere you turn. The entire house has a fantastic feeling. The food was outstanding and the yoga was outstanding! Kent's massage was wonderful, he's very intuitive. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you Jane for your quick and wonderful review! We are so glad you enjoyed your time here with us- just as we enjoyed you and your fun and loving group who embraced Sewall House! Hope to see you again! (for longer next time!)- Kent and Donna and deep gratitude to Brian for getting you all here:)
Kennebunk, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I’m back from my second fabulous stay at Sewall House. I can’t wait to back!

I’ve only got positive things to say – Donna and Kent (and all of the folks who happen to be in the neighborhood who help out) are ideal hosts. They are there for anything and everything you might need, and they allow for a quiet and complete retreat. They are fun and interesting, and they cook and find incredible food, are skilled in massage and meditation and music and, of course, yoga. Donna’s classes are never boring – because she brings a strong background from numerous approaches. And the rooms are comfy and come with the softest bathrobes...so nice.

Each time I left home for Sewall House I dreaded the long drive from my home in Southern Maine. And each trip turned out to be not only easy, but beautiful, and almost magical. The most recent trip was in view of the autumn leaves of New England. If you have ever seen these, you would understand how magical the views.

I was imagining that if I left from afar, it would actually be very easy to fly to Boston and enjoy a pleasant day trip up to Sewall House. You could fly to Boston, rent a car, and if you know the way out of Boston you could be in Island Falls in less than 6 hours. That would include a side stop at one of the many sweet spots in between – Portsmouth, NH, York, Ogunquit, Wells, Beach areas. Kennebunk and Kennbunkport, Portland, Freeport, Augusta, Bangor, UMaine-Orono, Katadin, etc.

I have digressed. I love the Sewall House – if you are lucky enough to be in the neighborhood, you will too.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are charming!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I just got back from my second visit to the Sewall House, both experiences have been truly amazing! I felt like I was at home the moment I walked in the door, the atmosphere at the Sewall House is warm and inviting. I needed time to recharge and the combination of yoga, massage, hiking, lake visits, wholesome food, porch sitting, relaxation, good company was exactly what I needed. I will definitely go back at the Sewall House!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Amy H
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have been to Sewall House twice and I hope to make it at least an annual trip in the future. There is nothing like it.

The two yoga classes are two different styles of yoga, so things never get boring and there is something to learn for everyone. Donna truly is, as others have mentioned, gifted at personalized teaching and offering something for everyone, whether rank beginner or experienced yogi. I have made some of my greatest strides in yoga while on this retreat, including my first headstand and my first handstand.

On my first visit, I had trouble forcing myself to do the quiet reflection I was seeking because there was SO much to do! I visited their cabin, did yoga on loon ledge, tried the sauna, and walked around the town (and didn't even have time until the second trip to see the nearby waterfall and the swimming "hole" which is really a beautiful lake). However, there is no pressure to partake in any of the activites or meals -- so you are free to spend as much time alone as you like. I have not enjoyed B&Bs in the past because I am a little shy and the forced conversation was not pleasant for me. However, at Sewall House, people were so interesting and friendly, and most were staying for several days, so it was a pleasure getting to know them.

On my first visit, it was early in the season and there was only one other guest. On my second visit, there were many comings and goings while I was there. This made me aware of how truly amazing Donna and Kent are -- what is a relaxing retreat for us is enabled by their constant planning and work and energy! They greet each new guest with the same energy and welcome.

The food is simply awesome. Kent cooks with creativity and with fresh, flavorful ingredients and just the right amount of spices. Every meal there I had was delicious (but the red pepper soup and vegetable curry dishes are my favorite)!

In short, this special place offers just the right balance of community and serenity, activity and rest, and it feels like a home away from home. I will continue to make the 12-hour drive to get there, bypassing thousands of B&Bs and countless yoga studios to get there because there is really nothing like it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 3 in Houlton
The Bradford House B&B
The Bradford House B&B
#1 of 1 in Patten

Been to Sewall House Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!