“Great Place for Retreat Leaders”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Island Falls
Sewall House Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Island Falls B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hightstown, NJ
“Great Place for Retreat Leaders”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I'd visited Sewall House several times as a guest but recently used the space to house a group retreat for my small group of 6 guests traveling together. As always, the environment was conducive to a relaxed and introspective experience. The food was phenomenal! And the yoga instruction was inspired and uplifting. As a group leader I found it exceptionally easy to work with Kent & Donna on the plans from start to finish and they worked very hard to make everyone feel at home during their stay. I'm looking forward to bringing more groups here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you Brian for posting this review! We would love to have you and another of your wonderful groups return any time! We enjoyed having you- and so glad you enjoyed it too! We look forward to your next return- solo or with group in tow!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Donna and Kent are amazing hosts, I felt as if I was visiting family. Sewall house is such a wonderful and historic house and there's something interesting everywhere you turn. The entire house has a fantastic feeling. The food was outstanding and the yoga was outstanding! Kent's massage was wonderful, he's very intuitive. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you Jane for your quick and wonderful review! We are so glad you enjoyed your time here with us- just as we enjoyed you and your fun and loving group who embraced Sewall House! Hope to see you again! (for longer next time!)- Kent and Donna and deep gratitude to Brian for getting you all here:)
Maine
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I’m back from my second fabulous stay at Sewall House. I can’t wait to back!

I’ve only got positive things to say – Donna and Kent (and all of the folks who happen to be in the neighborhood who help out) are ideal hosts. They are there for anything and everything you might need, and they allow for a quiet and complete retreat. They are fun and interesting, and they cook and find incredible food, are skilled in massage and meditation and music and, of course, yoga. Donna’s classes are never boring – because she brings a strong background from numerous approaches. And the rooms are comfy and come with the softest bathrobes...so nice.

Each time I left home for Sewall House I dreaded the long drive from my home in Southern Maine. And each trip turned out to be not only easy, but beautiful, and almost magical. The most recent trip was in view of the autumn leaves of New England. If you have ever seen these, you would understand how magical the views.

I was imagining that if I left from afar, it would actually be very easy to fly to Boston and enjoy a pleasant day trip up to Sewall House. You could fly to Boston, rent a car, and if you know the way out of Boston you could be in Island Falls in less than 6 hours. That would include a side stop at one of the many sweet spots in between – Portsmouth, NH, York, Ogunquit, Wells, Beach areas. Kennebunk and Kennbunkport, Portland, Freeport, Augusta, Bangor, UMaine-Orono, Katadin, etc.

I have digressed. I love the Sewall House – if you are lucky enough to be in the neighborhood, you will too.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are charming!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I just got back from my second visit to the Sewall House, both experiences have been truly amazing! I felt like I was at home the moment I walked in the door, the atmosphere at the Sewall House is warm and inviting. I needed time to recharge and the combination of yoga, massage, hiking, lake visits, wholesome food, porch sitting, relaxation, good company was exactly what I needed. I will definitely go back at the Sewall House!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Amy H
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have been to Sewall House twice and I hope to make it at least an annual trip in the future. There is nothing like it.

The two yoga classes are two different styles of yoga, so things never get boring and there is something to learn for everyone. Donna truly is, as others have mentioned, gifted at personalized teaching and offering something for everyone, whether rank beginner or experienced yogi. I have made some of my greatest strides in yoga while on this retreat, including my first headstand and my first handstand.

On my first visit, I had trouble forcing myself to do the quiet reflection I was seeking because there was SO much to do! I visited their cabin, did yoga on loon ledge, tried the sauna, and walked around the town (and didn't even have time until the second trip to see the nearby waterfall and the swimming "hole" which is really a beautiful lake). However, there is no pressure to partake in any of the activites or meals -- so you are free to spend as much time alone as you like. I have not enjoyed B&Bs in the past because I am a little shy and the forced conversation was not pleasant for me. However, at Sewall House, people were so interesting and friendly, and most were staying for several days, so it was a pleasure getting to know them.

On my first visit, it was early in the season and there was only one other guest. On my second visit, there were many comings and goings while I was there. This made me aware of how truly amazing Donna and Kent are -- what is a relaxing retreat for us is enabled by their constant planning and work and energy! They greet each new guest with the same energy and welcome.

The food is simply awesome. Kent cooks with creativity and with fresh, flavorful ingredients and just the right amount of spices. Every meal there I had was delicious (but the red pepper soup and vegetable curry dishes are my favorite)!

In short, this special place offers just the right balance of community and serenity, activity and rest, and it feels like a home away from home. I will continue to make the 12-hour drive to get there, bypassing thousands of B&Bs and countless yoga studios to get there because there is really nothing like it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rebecca B
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2012

and that is saying something, because I just turned 60 late August at Sewall House. It was here, even while away from home, I could be among like-minded people who value wellness and good cheer, all this presented in a loving, caring, and historic environment... and in a non-pretentious, understated way. Though completely modernized in it's infrastructure, the handsome house itself has a long proud history of seasonal pilgrims, having hosted in his youth the champion of national parks, the true American hero Teddy Roosevelt.
Beautiful rooms, uncluttered but warmly appointed, fabulous beds… premium bedding... I slept like a rock every night. (also great for napping!) Oh and LOVED those shower heads too!
Although three full baths are shared among the 7 guest rooms, the fact that plush luxurious terrycloth robes are provided for each guest gives guests the impression they are visiting a world-class spa. They do actually offer world-class massage therapy. Donna's husband Kent is not only a fine musician and miracle-working foodie, but is also a licensed massage therapist. Most repeat guests know to make more than one appointment.
The lesson I learned from Donna and her teaching method is that no matter what limitations you are facing, and you are doing the very best you can, then you are doing yoga correctly. And that is from a 60-year-old geezer.
The only downside I could detect the entire time was the difficulty in deciding what to do out of all that Sewall House and Island Falls, and northern Maine has to offer. I brought my bike with me. The bicycling routes from the house are of every level of challenge, from several fun under-5 mile strolls, to 10 out & back, 20 out & back, and a 30 mile loop which I will attempt next time if someone joins me next time. That route has severe drops and climbs, but the views of Mt. Katahdin are breathtaking.
Diet-wise I could never have indulged more in choosing to spend my vacation time at Sewall House. Offering guests the very best in truly home-cooked, whole, fresh, nutritious, and DELICIOUS food, (so many guests have begged for recipes that Kent went ahead and published a cookbook. Check it out! And check out the world-class granola... it raises the bar!) (oh and the PEANUT BUTTER... yeah, it's THAT good!)
Donna at Sewall House offered us a most satisfying yoga experience, cheerful encouragement coupled with kind assistance, some of the most effective guided relaxation techniques (sure loved those bean bags for the eyes!), and just being able to be surrounded with all the other guests who valued these offerings as well. Rarely in life do we succeed in finding all these aspects of support and nurturing, all at one time, in one place. I can now return to my daily life feeling renewed and refreshed, and with a glow of love. I WILL be back.

Room Tip: Each room has it's own personality, each has good heat, a fan for optional circulation. All equa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tisJoel
MaineAmrita, Owner at Sewall House Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We thank you for this bright and wonderful review! There are FOUR bathrooms in the house for 7 guest bedrooms- there is a bathroom IN the bedroom on the first floor so those wanting a private bathroom can request this one if it is available! That makes SIX bedrooms sharing THREE (one on each of the three floors!) bathrooms simply to be clear! Thank you- thank YOU! :)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Sewall House offers it all.... Hiking, biking, swimming, kayaking, river tours, great massages, naps, Kundalini, yoga on the lake (you MUST do yoga on the Lake), lovely vegetarian meals with great desserts/fruit, and the best part of all .... Porch sittings with a nice cup of hot yogi tea watching the town pass you by as Donna shares her inspirational stories and the teachings of Kundalini. What an amazing experience -- from the moment Kent picked me up from Bangor airport, I knew I had made the right choice for my much needed retreat - they not only made me feel right at home, but treated me like we had been friends for years.... This week was my first real experience doing yoga, and while there were several more experienced people at the retreat, Donna made sure she gave the instruction needed as a beginner w/out taking anything away from the others.. I had an amazing experience and will definitely make the trip again, but with family and friends.... Thank you Donna, Kent and Inga!

Room Tip: I enjoyed the room with it's own bathroom......
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 3 in Houlton
The Bradford House B&B
The Bradford House B&B
#1 of 1 in Patten

Been to Sewall House Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!