“Extremely rude owner”

The Colony on Frenchman's Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hulls Cove
Reviewed August 21, 2013

First of all, this is a he say and I say conversation. When I first made reservations with this man, he was not terribly patient with me. I wanted information about the unit, the size and what not, I was excited to bring my dog so I over-looked how I was not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this guy.

Soon after that, I check again on the accommodations and discovered that it was not what I wanted and canceled. WELL, I did book reservations at West Street Hotel (awesome place but no dog) the check in date my grandson receives a call at 10:45 PM from the owner and was yelled at --unbelievable...

The next day I called this owner ---- he was right and I was pretty much called a liar and charged me the first night rate....

Even though I can't prove I canceled, I am still calling my credit card co. and see what I can do...
The man was a jerk, no if and or but about.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 43Jeanne

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We've stayed at The Colony twice -- in 2007 and 2013 - for a total of 10 nights, and have thoroughly enjoyed it! Wonderful location on the water, scenic view, fantastic location right up the street from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, friendly staff, beautiful grounds. We'll be back there for sure next time! Great place for a family vacation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Clarence N
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Room wasn't clean when we arrived, band aids on the floor, hair in the shower, uncomfortable bed, blood on the sheets, pink cable tv, poor customer service...need I go on? The price is mediocre for the location...

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank absolutwhit
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in the motel part. I'll start with the good - nice size room (although dated), great location, great view, and as close to Acadia National Park as you can get. However, now the rest of the story - 1. even though I clearly stated how many people would be in the room when I made the reservation, they added $20/night for 2 additional people when we checked in and really could care less when I told them that is not what they quoted me originally for the room; 2. huge carpenter ants in the room. We killed 3 or 4; 3. Not enough towels for the room (and I'm not talking extra, just one for each member of the family). When we asked for 2 more, they only had 1 to give us; 4. crazy water. Have no idea where the hot water was. We ended up taking cold showers; and 5. not sure about how good the cleaning of the rooms is. When we checked out and were making sure we left nothing behind, we found a few beer bottle caps under the bed (and we didn't drink any beer during our stay). After seeing that Bar Harbor is only 5-10 minutes further from Acadia, I will definitely stay there next time.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank thehoward6
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed in a duplex cottage for six nights. We could hear the neighbors talking through the wall, but they went to sleep around the same time as us, so it wasn't a problem. The cottages are old, but comfortable and the maid did a great job every day. Our mattresses were just right, so we slept well. It was wonderful to have a microwave oven and refrigerator, and the shower water temperature and pressure was fantastic. There is a pizza place within walking distance and a seafood restaurant and a corner store, and the beach is right across the road. The kids liked the pool. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: cottages away from the street are obviously quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OttersZ
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a really great location and the views are wonderful. Most of the motel and cabins have not been updated from what I could see but they do offer a relatively inexpensive stay as most places on Mount Desert Island are expensive. If I owned the place I would embrace the 50's cabin experience and put up 50's posters and decor on the walls thus allowing me to keep the really old furniture. However, the mattresses do need to be replaced. Very friendly people though. They do have a laundry.

Room Tip: I would not want a duplex cabin unless I had booked both sides.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The owners are sweet and quirky. Cottages are blend of old & new. Cottage 4's bed supports are broken & the mattress has no support - my back was unhappy. Loved the convenience of the location. LOVED being able to stroll across the street for sunrise at their little stretch of ocean front. (if you are looking for a sandy sun bathing beach you are in the wrong part of the state) LOVED the bagpiper on the cliffs - apparently a regular weekly treat for their guests. LOVED the Keurig for morning coffee (Green Mountain!!). Didn't like the coons in the attic space - but the owner was more than happy to move us next door so they could contend with the surprise guests. Second bed was Papa Bear's (too hard). WiFi was sketchy and slow - but not an issue for us since we are on vacation. Can't speak for the pool as we don't use it. Might stay again next time, might not.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#18 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Harborside Hotel & Marina
Harborside Hotel & Marina
#19 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to The Colony on Frenchman's Bay? Share your experiences!