“An unexpected jewel”
Review of The Courtyard Cafe

The Courtyard Cafe
Ranked #6 of 27 Restaurants in Houlton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Description: Welcome To The Courtyard Café! We are an intimate, yet casual restaurant offering a delightful dining experience. Whether relaxing in our full-service bar area or or main dining room, you are sure to have a wonderful experience. Take out and catering also available.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We are regular visitors to Houlton and make it point to have a meal at The Courtyard Cafe at least once during each visit. Hidden behind the storefronts of Market Square this unexpected jewel of a restaurant serves unique and high quality dishes in a quiet atmosphere. A friend took me there for a birthday surprise, and the cheery staff made it an extra special day with a special dessert.

There are newer reviews for The Courtyard Cafe

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were spending just one night in Houlton on our way to Canada and the owner of the Stardust Motel recommended the Courtyard Café for dinner. It was just what we needed. The waitress was pleasant, the food good and reasonably priced. The asparagus appetizer wrapped in phyllo was delicious. My husband's fish entrée cooked perfectly and the chowder I had to complete my meal, excellent. We would go back....

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were looking at the menu which was available at our hotel and decided to try it. Pleasant atmosphere. We chose to eat in the bar area rather than the larger dining room.

It was very quiet when we were there...not many diners, so I was surprised when the bread on my lobster roll was burnt. As the burned taste was much stronger than the lobster flavor, I did not get to enjoy it after my first (and last) bite of the roll. I was surprised that the cook did not just fix another roll rather than serve a blackened one...and it was obvious that he/she attempted to remove some of the char. Very short-sighted.

The salad was good. The waitress was very sweet and comped my glass of wine. Hubby's burger was cooked well, but no seasoning (salt or pepper). We did not order dessert and may have if the food was prepared better. We are not fussy, just surprised that a simple burger and lobster roll could have had any problems.

Temps were in the 90's and there was no AC or even a fan to move the air, so the stifling heat made us eager to eat and leave.

Will try it again if they are still there...can't judge from one visit as it was the 4th of July weekend and cook may have been a fill-in. Other reviewers seem to be happy with this restaurant.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

love the food here, cooked to perfection. love the seafood, healthy eating. we usually go for lunch when open

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Very limited menu and the chef was very rude. I'm gluten free and placed my order with out the sauce, etc. and the chef changed my order and added the sauce. She came out and said her sauce is gluten free and she is the chef and knows. She took offense that I refused to eat what I didn't order and actually yelled at me. Worst experience in my life eating out and I actually was in tears. I coudn't leave because riding with my friends and changed my order. I had her sauce before and it make me sick so if the meal was gluten free then something must have been spoiled. I was extremely sick after. Very expensive for a small plate of food.

4  Thank Heidi D