“Good service, our first visit...”
Review of The Courtyard Cafe

The Courtyard Cafe
Ranked #6 of 27 Restaurants in Houlton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Description: Welcome To The Courtyard Café! We are an intimate, yet casual restaurant offering a delightful dining experience. Whether relaxing in our full-service bar area or or main dining room, you are sure to have a wonderful experience. Take out and catering also available.
Lincolnville, Maine
“Good service, our first visit...”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were looking at the menu which was available at our hotel and decided to try it. Pleasant atmosphere. We chose to eat in the bar area rather than the larger dining room.

It was very quiet when we were there...not many diners, so I was surprised when the bread on my lobster roll was burnt. As the burned taste was much stronger than the lobster flavor, I did not get to enjoy it after my first (and last) bite of the roll. I was surprised that the cook did not just fix another roll rather than serve a blackened one...and it was obvious that he/she attempted to remove some of the char. Very short-sighted.

The salad was good. The waitress was very sweet and comped my glass of wine. Hubby's burger was cooked well, but no seasoning (salt or pepper). We did not order dessert and may have if the food was prepared better. We are not fussy, just surprised that a simple burger and lobster roll could have had any problems.

Temps were in the 90's and there was no AC or even a fan to move the air, so the stifling heat made us eager to eat and leave.

Will try it again if they are still there...can't judge from one visit as it was the 4th of July weekend and cook may have been a fill-in. Other reviewers seem to be happy with this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013

Sophieschoice61
“healthy eating”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

love the food here, cooked to perfection. love the seafood, healthy eating. we usually go for lunch when open

• Visited October 2012
Hodgdon, Maine, United States
“Very rude owner chef!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Very limited menu and the chef was very rude. I'm gluten free and placed my order with out the sauce, etc. and the chef changed my order and added the sauce. She came out and said her sauce is gluten free and she is the chef and knows. She took offense that I refused to eat what I didn't order and actually yelled at me. Worst experience in my life eating out and I actually was in tears. I coudn't leave because riding with my friends and changed my order. I had her sauce before and it make me sick so if the meal was gluten free then something must have been spoiled. I was extremely sick after. Very expensive for a small plate of food.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank Heidi D
Houlton, Maine
“Superior Dining Experience”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Courtyard Cafe was the first restaurant we visited when we moved to Houlton, Maine. My husband and I fell in love with the chef's delicious Gumbo and superior service. They now have a newly renovated, intimate bar. The Courtyard Cafe is a touch of class and is one of our favorite places in town.

• Visited April 2013
Houlton, Maine
“Well worth the wait...”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Courtyard Cafe recently renovated their bar area. I feel this has completely changed the atmosphere in a good way. They offer two different dining experiences... the dining room is more on the formal side and a quieter atmosphere. The bar area feels a bit more relaxed which is perfect for a casual feel. The entire staff is wonderful. They offer great suggestions when there are just too many things to choose from that all sound delicious. The food is always fresh and well prepared. They are accomodating for special requests. The evening menu changes to provide the freshes ingredients. The lunch menu is consistent, but always includes specials as well. It can be time consuming to eat there, but definitely worth it. I've mentioned that I've only got a certain amount of time & the staff have made it work. They offer musical entertainment on Saturday evenings sometimes & that is my favorite time to go. Paul Lapointe & Common Crossing are two of the performers I've seen and both are excellent & very entertaining. I've been there for date nights, girls night out, business dinners & luncheons, and even taken my children there for pizza night and had fabulous experiences each & every time!

• Visited January 2013