“Best in the area”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Houlton
Norwood,Ma
“Best in the area”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I recently stayed at the Shiretown while visiting for my niece's high school graduation. The room was immaculate. Free wifi, cable tv, great indoor pool and pub. I would definitely stay here again.
Very convenient location. Diner across the street and Walmart next door. I must stay that I did stay in the new building.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank stockies1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed April 20, 2012

This was my second stay here, both times in the new section - a big double. It was very, very clean! The mattress was comfortable and the pillows were very fluffy for synthetic pillows. The bathroom was sparkling, the towels were thick, and the hairdryer had lots of power. Plenty of hot water, and excellent water pressure. It would be great for a couple because there are two sinks and mirrors - one in the bathroom, and one just outside, both with plenty of counter space. It's true that voices in the hallway are easily heard, but I usually travel with a pair of foam earplugs, since this is a pretty common problem.

My room had a coffee maker, mini-fridge (which was actually cold, unlike some) and a microwave - very convenient. Flat screen TV. The internet connection was excellent, and free. There was a desk and desk chair, several drawers, and plenty of good quality hangers.

The staff are very friendly and helpful - the manager gave excellent directions, and the housekeeper brought me an extra blanket. Not that the room was cold, but I like more blankets.

The gas station across the street has a really nice restaurant - had breakfast there twice. Good omelettes, crisp bacon, real homefries - yum!

If you're not from Maine, make sure you visit Marden's Discount and Salvage - you never know what you'll find - I just bought a whole bag of beautiful glass beads at 40-50% off.

This is where I will always stay when in Houlton.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank travveller95
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I followed the advice of a worker in a local store, feeling exhausted after a very long drive. I was told there had been a fire and most of the room had been redone and were wonderful. I must have been put in the original section because my room was very care-worn. This is the first place I've stayed that I slept on top of the bedspread because I didn't feel comfortable sleeping on the sheets. Most of my impression was based on the bathroom. The floor between the tub and the door was dirty and the water was rusty at first. The worst part was looking up toward the bathroom ceiling and seeing a long crack separating the ceiling from the wall, with dark mold around it. After I told the person working at the desk about it the next morning, I heard her call and tell someone to go right away and check it out; to take bleach and clean it up. If it was black mold, it was probably in the wall and cleaning the visible portion with bleach wouldn't take care of the problem.
The location was great if your plan is to cross the border into Canada. It's very easy access on and off the highway and there's a gas station close by. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the wireless internet worked great. I wish I could have seen and stayed in the newer part. They might have offered to move me if I'd asked that night but I was too exhausted to deal with requesting a move to another room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new section.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank janetlorraine

Travelers are raving about these Houlton hotels

Uranium City, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Well, i stayed here on business, it was great, clean,quiet, but the cleaning ladies woke me up on both occasions. The bar was a 1970 FLASHBACK! I think i even saw a Disco Ball!

Maine is Maine...its not changing ,its the Mainland Alaska. The Staff were very friendly, and its hard not to smile! Great food across the street!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank tenthousandshort
saint john nb
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I had to stay at this motel because work brought me to Houlton.

Check in was very friendly. Was happy to have WIFI pass

Room (I was in one of the newer front rooms) was clean, nice flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, coffee maker etc...

Unfortunately if guests or maid service are standing in hallway talking (while trying to sleep!!!!) the sound carries sooo much that it seems like they are right in your room!

Note: to maid staff if you are working early morning please be cognicent of guests who may be sleeping, don't have conversations from one room to the other while your cleaning!

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank stephers06
Winthrop
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I have stayed a few times for business. Staff has always been friendly. Usually I stay in front rooms which are much better then rooms located in pool building. Free internet is a reguirement for stayng for me. it worked fine.

Room Tip: stay in front section
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank toys4dad
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 29, 2011

A very nice surprise. Very clean rooms, warm towels, pleanty of hot water and spacious rooms. The front desk was extremely helpful and they have wifi in all rooms. I'll be staying there on my next swing north.

Room Tip: Most rooms are no smoking
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank R L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houlton
Best Western Plus Woodstock Hotel & Conference Centre
#1 of 1 in Jacksonville
The Peak Sunset B&B
The Peak Sunset B&B
#1 of 1 in Grafton

Been to Shiretown Motor Inn? Share your experiences!