“There is no hominess here”
Review of Ivey's Motor Lodge

Ivey's Motor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Houlton
Presque Isle, Maine
“There is no hominess here”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I work in Houlton but live far away. One snowy night, when the roads were terrible, I tried to check into this place for a nights rest, rather than travel treacherous roads. I had cash in hand. , had not traveled with a credit card. They refused to let me stay there because I did not have a credit card on me. I work at the hospital in Houlton, had my nursing uniform on, had all kinds of ID, was obviously tired & wet. It did not matter to them. I will never stay there, I thought that was so uncaring & very un-neighborly;usualy in this town. People band together in inclimate weather.I have heard that this is the case with them- no credit card, no room. Their rates are higher than other places in Houlton too. They lost a good customer that night- I still stay in town when the weather is bad.Just not with them. Just be aware that with these people, money comes first, nothing else.

Room Tip: just have a credit card- if you need warmth in your service, don't go here
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank noray9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Orrington, Maine
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Iveys' reputation has always been for cleanliness, and a few years ago there was some concern when the place changed hands. But having stayed there last week, I can say the current owner obviously holds himself and his staff to the same standard as always. Every employee I met was very friendly and attentive.

The room was clean and in fine repair. Despite being lower to the floor than any bed I have ever seen in a hotel, it was very comfortable.

There is a lounge there that is a cozy little place. They do not serve food of their own there, not even so much as a bowl of popcorn- however, they have made arrangements with several of the restaurants in the immediate area to deliver, so you actually have more choices than if they had their own kitchen. While I was there, a couple from New Brunswick came in, and said they often come across the border for dinner in town, then pop into this lounge for a drink before heading home. The draft beer tasted funky to me, which can sometimes indicate tap lines in need of a cleaning, but maybe it was just my taste that was off.

I had to leave early in the morning, before their 'continental breakfast' got going, so I can't review that. I couldnt find an employee to give me a copy of my bill, so I left a note saying I would stop back in later on my way back through town. Which was fine for me, but maybe wouldnt be for someone who was 'just passing through'.

So my issues were very minor- bottom line is that this place is smartly priced, very clean and quite comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank torm23
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I like this hotel except I felt it was slightly overpriced. Check in was smooth and friendly. I had to fill out the same information I gave them on the phone. The hotel has handy laundry facilities with good machines. Kelly's bar (no food) on the premises opens at 5pm and is cozy and friendly with one large tv and 3 small tvs. A window opens for fresh air. I woke up at 5 am to plan the next day's drive and my internet code had expired - not sure why for a one day stay. I could not get a new one on the phone and had to get up get dressed and go to the front desk - mercy. But on the whole it was a good off the road choice. The handicap room that we normally would get was more than $100 without taxes so we struggled along with a regular room. There were no senior discounts or AAA and I was told $96 before taxes was the best price. I made the reservation less than 24 hours in advance and although it did not matter I was not informed of a cancellation fee. I stay in hotels 4 nights a week many weeks of the year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank twllearn
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Be careful when booking with (if later cancelling) this downscale property at the Canadian border crossing. We've stayed there the last two years were not advised of their unusually stringent 24-hour-cancellation policy. Same day by 4 p.m. is the norm in motels on the tollway all across the U.S.A.

In June we had to cancel and called same day with no penalty and no warning. on our return in July we also had to cancel. This time we were told they would take the full charge off our credit card and that we should have given 24 hours notice.

The owner did not deny that no one had warned us of their policy, nor did he care. We said we would rather be his customer than his adversary and so suggested he keep the money but credit all or some of it back next time we booked. He would not agree and was angry and punitive, despite my saying we would return IF he would negotiate based on the misinformation (no information!) we had about their policy.

Our credit card company considers him in the wrong and has reimbursed us, but anyone needing lodging at the Canadian border in Houlton is better off staying at the Shiretown Inn, who are honest about their policies before enforcing them. Or drive across the border one extra hour and stay at the Frederickton, New Brunswick, Riverside Inn, a truly beautiful spot at a fair price.

Conclusion: honesty is the BEST policy when renting out rooms at a motel. Don't get caught by deceptive and punitive practices.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Margo R
iveyshoulton, Owner at Ivey's Motor Lodge, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
As this person stated they had cancelled within a few hours of thier expected arrival. Yes, we had waved the fee prior to this date because the property was not at 100% occupancy and we did not turn away guest. However on this occasion we were fully occupied and in-fact turned away guests (note: this room in question was one of two that we allow pets in). It is the policy of all hotels that book on-line or by phone to note this to all guests and we do just that. In trying to deal with this one guest they stated that they could not REMEMBER being informed of the cancellation policy.
This person also suggested that this policy be noted in the lobby of the hotel. It would be a unique sign considering that most people staying at the motel would be checking in and would not need to know the cancellation policy.
This person alos stated they had been refunded monies by their credit card company. As of this date we have not had a charge back.
The staff and management do thier very best to receive every guest with the respect and dignity that they deserve. However, thier are those that try to take advantage of others and demand services that they themselves would not accept. This guest as they stated cancelled prior to this occassion without a charge being imposed. If we held out for every guest and did not impose a fee then today we would not be in business.
Honesty is the best policy and we here at Ivey's do just that... Provide our guests with a good honest nights rest at a very reasonable rate.
If issues arise then we do take action to make the approriate corrections, and as needed reduce or refund a guests monies.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Check in was good. Room was great, inside the horseshoe of the complex, no noise fron I-95.
Room was very clean, was not able to get HBO even tho' we were supposed to be able to get it. Did not question staff about that.
Cont. breakfast was good, coffee was very good.
We would stay there again!

Room Tip: A room on the inside of the horseshoe, that is the shape of the hotel is best. Vending machines if...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Flowergirl65
Central PA
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We were driving up through Maine and found this hotel on the fly. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xrebrose
Holbrook, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My family and I were on our way to Truro Canada and stayed there on our trip up and back. The people were very nice the breakfast was very good. Just a little smell in the halls. But besides that I would stay there again on our next trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank wildmom67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houlton
Shiretown Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Jacksonville
Stiles Motel
Stiles Motel
#3 of 4 in Woodstock

Been to Ivey's Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!